Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

What's everyones thoughts on the Sat-Nav that comes in the A5, is it any good or not??
I've already placed my order so I guess this thread isn't going to change anything for me but I've read a few posts on here about not being able to search under postcodes etc, etc, it all sounds very depressing??!! :confused:

Cheers

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
I've been using mine a lot over the past few weeks travelling around the Midlands and the North of England. I find that it is pretty good IF the roads outside match the roads inside (i.e. on the DVD).

Take Sheffield city centre for example - the roads outside bear little or no resemblance to what's on the DVD as there has been so much re-routing and new road building work recently - a lot of roads are now only for buses, taxis & push-bikes. I spoke to a local about it and she said that the routes seem to change daily.

Overall though I am quite pleased with it and I like the way the range scale decreases as you approach a turning, required M-Way exit or roundabout so you can see where you're supposed to be going. It then resets to the original scale once you've negotiated the 'event'.

You can tell it what to avoid (toll roads, motorways etc.) and you can set it to find the fastest or the shortest route as well as dynamic routing where it will take account of traffic conditions - although the TMC system is not as good as the system used on the B*W satnav, the name of which escapes me at the moment but it uses Classic FM to receive the info.

It is also very polite - 'she' always says "Please..." before each instruction :D. But 'she' doesn't say thank you though when I follow her instructions... :rolleyes:.

The biggest shame though is that there doesn't appear to be anyway of adding other features [cough] speed cameras [/cough] as one could with the B*W IDrive system.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I fully agree with REB's evaluation having also come out of a series of BMs. One thing I would add, the Audi system seems a little quicker responding than the BM versions I have had.

No post code option and no 'safety cameras' is disappointing although it's probably only a matter of time before an 'add on' becomes available.

·
Registered
62 Posts
No post code search !!!! What a total barrel of shite. You cannot buy an aftermarket sat nav that doesn't use postcodes. Bollocks... Could I take your address for my sat nav??? Yes the postcode is....no no I need your full address I drive a 40K Audi and don't have the luxury of tom tom. Bollocks bollocks bollocks. sorry for swearing but it is total CRAP.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Calm down guys, there is a postcode search facility but it is only on the first 5 characters. B*W was the same and my TomTom Go is the only device I've had which has the full 7 character search available.

The problem lies with licensing - if a manufacturer wants to use the full search (7 chars) then they have to pay a license fee to the (I think) Post Office.

To use post code search on the A/S5, just enter the code in the 'city' section, but I have to say, it is pretty much useless.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.