Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I called my dealer today to chase up my car that's been off the road for nearly 2 weeks, they told me my replacement AMI still hadn't arrived. When I asked if the car could be re-set to having no AMI and I would pick it up, I was told that they would still prefer to keep hold of it. I asked why it was so difficult and was told that they have to get a SVM code (or something like that) from the factory. I was further told that with other MMI cars they deal with Audi UK, but with the A/S5 its done by an email dialogue with Germany. What exactly is this 'coding' malarkey, and specifically what's so different about the A/S5? Why is it that a simple thing like a faulty music interface can keep my car off the road for so long?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Your post indicates that the dealer is in breach of contract because your car isn't of satisfactory quality (Section 14 of the Sale of Goods Act).
Provided a buyer of faulty goods acts quickly they're entitled to reject them and get a full refund. This option may still be available to you. The fact you gave the seller the chance to repair the vehicle wouldn't affect this right.

Even if you've lost the right to reject and get a full refund, as a consumer you have additional rights. First and foremost, you're entitled to have the car repaired within a reasonable time and without significant inconvenience to you.

The excuses that have been given to you sound feeble, I would use the above as leverage to get the problem sorted quickly, assuming you don't wish to return the car.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I8TQB4IP, what you are being told about the coding is consistent with my own experience with our S5. Our's was at the dealer for 3 weeks for a replacement ECU, and when the part arrived it needed coding via the factory in Germany. This is a change from other models. I'm sure that A8 Tech could explain this further.

Out of interest what car do you have for a replacement whilst yours is off road? We had an RS4 supplied via Audi UK.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ramy7 - That's more-or-less what I did 2 weeks ago - said I wasn't using the car anymore, threatened rejection due to unsatisfactory quality and not being fit for purpose. For the past 2 weeks they've been given the opportunity to fix the fault. I've been told the required part is now in the UK, should be at the dealer's tomorrow and I should get my car back Friday. The dealer has also mentioned the word 'compensation'. If it's all ok on Friday and the compensation is satisfactory - I'll put it down to experience. On the other hand, if there's anything wrong or further delays, I'll take your advice.

Nipper - Yes, I'd like to know why the dealers aren't equipped to do these things themselves. Your ECU problem was fairly major, but you would have thought that once the new ECU arrived, the dealer could have set it all up. My case of whether they could or couldn't remove a trivial thing like the AMI without affecting the rest of the car is slightly worrying. BTW of the total 17 days (so far) my car has been off the road, I've been given a variety of A4 Avants - supplied by the dealer. Maybe I should have been a bit more pushy and demanded an R8!

·
Registered
4 Posts
AMI problems

My 3 week old A5 (3.0 TDI Sport) has been back with the dealer for 10 days with a faulty AMI which (firstly) mullered all the B&O audio output and (laterly) flattened the battery when needed it at 6am on a Monday morning.

I was provided a A3 replacement! I have been called today saying they have finally uncovered a new AMI unit (which are on back-log with Germany) and will collect tomorrow.

I also found that the electric seats did not work and needed 'resetting' and the iPod connection seemed to be the pre-cursor to all the AMI problems.

I was very close to quoting the Sale of Goods Act but like the car too much.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
James - sounds like we are in the same boat. I also got the impression that hooking up an iPod Nano (3rd Generation) started my problems off. What kind of iPod did you use? Or is this a red herring?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got my car back yesterday - everything working. Started it this morning - everything working. I now have an A5 again!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Got my car back yesterday - everything working. Started it this morning - everything working. I now have an A5 again!
Its almost like a Christmas present ! :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
svm=software version management.The server in germany recives and inputs all control units for a5 and b8 a4.dealers and vag com users cant manually input the code unless they have access to the svm action code and online link to the server.To bypass most network control units (ami)fit a fibre optic loop.The reason for the online code is to ensure the latest software is down loaded to the control units (and componant protection)and possible big brother,i have witnessed the factory sending incorrect hex code causing some mmi functions to be missed ie reverse park graphic.hope this explains a little but mmi updates can still be done via cd player.Why i am at it,retro fit also suffers the same process for example retrofitting cruise controlrequires a factory action code to enable gateway,ecu and steering column electrics,on the bright side the user/driver has more settings avaliable than ever before via mmi functions.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Wow ... so if the dealer loses their connectivity to the Audi servers they can't fix the car until the link is restored? I hope Audi dealerships are obliged to ensure that the datacomms are both resilient and have failover otherwise it sounds like this could result in some horrible log jams in their service departments.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
The reason why AMI affects so much of the vehicle has to do with the way the MMI works internally. It uses a MOST fiber-optic loop that goes around the car from one component to another (in a component, then out and to the next component). If you remove one component from the loop, the fiber-optic loop becomes severed and basically your entire multimedia system stops working. The components in the MOST fiber-optic loop are the MMI screen, amplifier, CD changer, navigation, AMI, possible phone-prep and TV module. The rest of the car works just fine with the loop broken, though, but you would get no radio, no CD... unless the loop were to be patched with a physical adapter (so that the fiber-optic loop is intact again) and recoding to remove the AMI entirely.

The coding issue seems consistent with other MMI equipped Audis, A6/A8/Q7, some components (not all) in the MMI system require online coding with factory so that if they are stolen and installed in another car, they may be rendered useless by reporting them stolen to the factory and a re-code would be impossible.

This affects only A5s with the DVD/CD navigation, which have the real MMI with the MOST fiber-optic loop, the Concert/Symphony radios although look like MMI are entirely different technology and basically just souped-up radios.

·
Registered
677 Posts
The reason why AMI affects so much of the vehicle has to do with the way the MMI works internally. It uses a MOST fiber-optic loop that goes around the car from one component to another (in a component, then out and to the next component). If you remove one component from the loop, the fiber-optic loop becomes severed and basically your entire multimedia system stops working. The components in the MOST fiber-optic loop are the MMI screen, amplifier, CD changer, navigation, AMI, possible phone-prep and TV module. The rest of the car works just fine with the loop broken, though, but you would get no radio, no CD... unless the loop were to be patched with a physical adapter (so that the fiber-optic loop is intact again) and recoding to remove the AMI entirely.

The coding issue seems consistent with other MMI equipped Audis, A6/A8/Q7, some components (not all) in the MMI system require online coding with factory so that if they are stolen and installed in another car, they may be rendered useless by reporting them stolen to the factory and a re-code would be impossible.

This affects only A5s with the DVD/CD navigation, which have the real MMI with the MOST fiber-optic loop, the Concert/Symphony radios although look like MMI are entirely different technology and basically just souped-up radios.
I can also confirm that the iPod connection is also in this loop.
I had the phone module break down. This caused my radio to play as if it was a skipping record. It also caused the iPod connection to go out. Both units had to be replace for my radio to work again. When I say radio I mean AM,FM, Sirius, CD, and iPod.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts