Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know why Audi U.K. are producing the A5 2.7tdi with the older 7 speed automatic gearbox but also at the same time producing the new model A4 with the updated 8 speed automatic box driving the exact same 2.7tdi updated / uprated engine? Doesn't make sense to me.
Also, why is the A4 being offered with more toys that the A5 Eg. Audi parking system advanced (rear parking camera etc), Audi drive select, Audi Side assist, Audi Lane assist etc.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi Philip
Things seem to be quite fluid as far as specifications are concerned. For example, when I ordered my car, the light and rain sensor was not fitted as standard but I now beleive it is.

I noticed in the A5 manuals (dated September 07) write ups for side assist, lane assist, adaptive cruise etc that are not available in the UK.
Perhaps some of these options will be made available in time.

Regarding your question of 7 gears or 8 - I'll have a look when I get my car and let you know how many gears it has:)

Cheers
Plob

·
Registered
55 Posts
I may be wrong and the new A4 Multitronic might be a revised box (with wider 'gear-ratio' between 'high' and 'low' - and maybe able to take more torque?) but if not then surely the difference between 7 and 8 speed is just a 'software' change; as the gearbox is CVT there aren't any real gears anyway - the 7 speeds are just pre-set ratios on the CVT 'range'. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I may be wrong and the new A4 Multitronic might be a revised box (with wider 'gear-ratio' between 'high' and 'low' - and maybe able to take more torque?) but if not then surely the difference between 7 and 8 speed is just a 'software' change; as the gearbox is CVT there aren't any real gears anyway - the 7 speeds are just pre-set ratios on the CVT 'range'. Thoughts?
That is the case. It should be referred to as 7 or 8 "pre-selected gear ratios", or similar.
Exactly right - and the gearbox doesn't use them in normal auto mode, it just selects the appropriate point in the CVT belt to give you either best economy or best acceleration, depending on some software which monitors how you are driving. The pre-selected gear ratios only come in to play if you select the gear shift across to the manual side and then use the gearshift or steering column paddles to change 'gear' yourself.

7 or 8 pre-selected points is really somewhat irrelevant and as Roswell states, I believe is just a software issue, not a physical change to the inside of the 'box.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi all
I agree with all the previous comments and suppositions.

I tried this today (took delivery this afternoon). I can confirm that, in Tiptronic mode, there are 8 ratios to choose from - not the 7 mentioned in the brochure. They show up on the display as M1 though to M8

Hope that helps

Cheers
Plob

·
Registered
643 Posts
I had CVT in my 2.4V6 A4, only had 6 then. Good to see it has 8 now. Also, it was one of the first cars that had "gear" selection on the steering wheel (probably aided by the fact that it's software-based), circa 2001, which made it very cool.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.