Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my first full day enjoying my new S5. Great car, drives totally different than my previous S4 (you notice the difference in steering and 60/40 rear/front traction very well).

About the navigation part of the MMI, I am not so impressed however. Already four major features lack in the MMI, compared to my previous, 4 year old(!!) RNS-E in the Audi S4:
- no more split screen possible, when approaching an instruction (exit, crossing, lane change, etc) => it is a very neat feature on the RNS-E, and I saw it on the pics of the new MMI generation in the Q5, but not in the S5????
- not possible anymore to look for a point of interest (POI) along the route to your destination => I use this very much, e.g. when looking for a petrol station along the route, I can not believe it is not there anymore!!
- not possible anymore to choose between 3 different routes (fastest, alternative and shortest) => I read that it will be back in the Q5 MMI?
- no more police checkpoints visible via TMC! grrrrr, this was a very convenient feature in the RNS-E, but why is it gone now??? the radio station still transmits these, but they are not shown on the map or under Info!

I really hope it is possible to configure or upgrade the MMI with the above things, and I reallt don't understand why MMI High is a downgrade compared to the RNS-E which is many years old, but ok. The good thing is the BT phone module is much better: now it supports Remote Sim Access, really cool feature!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
A move to the RNS-E would be a downgrade.

- no more split screen possible, when approaching an instruction (exit, crossing, lane change, etc) => it is a very neat feature on the RNS-E, and I saw it on the pics of the new MMI generation in the Q5, but not in the S5????
There is no need for a split screen as its displayed in the DIS in front of you.

- not possible anymore to look for a point of interest (POI) along the route to your destination => I use this very much, e.g. when looking for a petrol station along the route, I can not believe it is not there anymore!!
Never needed that. Although I have used the search destinations from current position which tends to show things upto around 30 miles away.

- not possible anymore to choose between 3 different routes (fastest, alternative and shortest) => I read that it will be back in the Q5 MMI?
Shortest and fastest is an option available.

- no more police checkpoints visible via TMC! grrrrr, this was a very convenient feature in the RNS-E, but why is it gone now??? the radio station still transmits these, but they are not shown on the map or under Info!
Dont know about that. Perhaps that was just a small local market that wasnt worth supporting any more?

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
The Nav screen will actually zoom into the junction as you approach it - assuming it is the junction where you are leaving/entering/turning etc. It is a function that can be turned on or off via the MMI.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Nav screen will actually zoom into the junction as you approach it - assuming it is the junction where you are leaving/entering/turning etc. It is a function that can be turned on or off via the MMI.
1. The auto-zoom is great (it was also there in the RNS-E), but I tend to like the "split screen when approaching next turn" more, as it is shown in the new Q5 MMI also, but ok, as double doom wrote, in the DIS there is some arrow that helps, but it is not so clear. Look at the fourth pic: pic4 and see how it was (and will be).

2. of course it is possible to choose "POI near current position", but it can be totally off route (even if you use the direction-arrow that is shown) and when you need petrol, it better be on the same route you drive; remindes me on "highway info" option in the RNS-E, which is also not there (it showed all upcoming 3 highway items, like petrol station, exit number, parking place, et) and was very handy :(

3. yes, it is available in the setup menu, but not autmatically 3 calculated routes shown visually in the map, which you can choose (I have no pic, but will try to find it) as it was (and will be)

4. don't know, but all radio stations who send TMC info can send locations of policate checkpoints/laser traps/etc, so it is just a TMC item (like "accident" or "stone on road", etc

Of course is all nitty gritty compared to the greater things of the S5, but my main point is: why is the feature set so limited compared to a previous Audi system of 5 years ago???

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Here is the difference between current-day A5/S5 navigation, which is a real MMI system like that in A6/A8/Q7 using MOST fiber-optic cabling, and A5/S5 basic radios Chorus/Concert/Symphony, which are based on similar technology as RNS-E and are just CAN bus devices (without navigation of course).

Will the real MMI please stand up? Difference between standard radio Concert/Symphony and the optional DVD navigation's MMI controls in B8 platform Audi A4 and A5
http://www.geocities.com/a6retrofit/articles/a4a5realmmi.html

I don't see any easy way of fitting an RNS-E into an A5/S5. There just isn't the space in the dash and the MMI system running the navigation is completely different technically compared to RNS-E, so you can't connect RNS-E to the A5/S5 navi anyways.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Maybe in a car without MMI navi, i.e. a car with Concert or Symphony, an enterprising installer might strip a RNS-E into pieces, connect the A5/S5 Concert/Symphony radio screen to it, connect the dashboard buttons to the RNS-E buttons... that could work, although there is no NAV button on the radio dash, and where would you place that gigantic RNS-E chassis is beyond me.

But hey, I'm sure someone will do it eventually. :) Would be kind of cool, I think. You would loose the full car menu of course, which would be a bummer.

Well, you could do this in a car with full MMI too (and without the problem of NAV button), but you'd have to replace the amplifier in the trunk and all that stuff as well... quite invasive installation.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmmm, interesting thoughts, but I was not eally considering to physically upgrade my MMI to RNS-E, only I hoped the mentioned lacking features are somewhere there in the MMI software anyway, and can be accessed somehow, but I am afraid I have to wait for the new S5 Cabrio (which will have the new Q5 MMI?) :cool:

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
but I am afraid I have to wait for the new S5 Cabrio (which will have the new Q5 MMI?)
dont count on it. The recently launched A3 convertible got a few upgrades but still uses most of the older version features that have been present for years. Such as the RNS-E. The changes to the MMI on the A/S5 are likely to come at a mid life facelift. Although it really depends on how much of the new MMI changes are software and how much is hardware.

·
Registered
552 Posts
dont count on it. The recently launched A3 convertible got a few upgrades but still uses most of the older version features that have been present for years. Such as the RNS-E. The changes to the MMI on the A/S5 are likely to come at a mid life facelift. Although it really depends on how much of the new MMI changes are software and how much is hardware.
I asked about this in another thread where a member stated that the new MMi would be built into A5's from 2Q 2009. I am looking to get a 2.0TFSI Multitronic for 1 March 2009 but would definitely wait a little while longer to get the new MMI.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
New A5 Cabrio will have new MMI

From the same (internal Audi) source I have the 7 A5 Convertible configs from (see other thread) I know that this car will have the new MMI (with HDD navi and DVD video playback!). So please wait until Paris Motor show (for market presentation) and March 2009 for first cars delivered.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Yeah, I am really dissapointed that Audi did not introduce the new MMI on all 09 models that had the old MMI (B8 A4, A5, A6, Q7 and A8). Hell, in the US, the new B8 A4 will be without the new MMI for only a few months, which is not only rediculous, but will significantly harm their resale value. I am still considering to postpone the build of my S5, however, as there is no official word regarding when the new MMI will be put in the S5, the last thing I want to do is wait a whole year for the '10 model in case Audi decides to wait to replace the MMI. To be totally honest though, the two things I wished the MMI/Nav had (which is real time traffic info and something like an SOS or On Star service, both of which are in the current iDrive), are not in the MMI update (as far as I know). I mean, the hard drive is nice, but my iPhone has all my music on it, the 3D graphics are cool, but actually only serve to clutter up the map, and the lane guidance is helpful, but with Audi Side Assist, not neccessary.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts