Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

Horrendous screeching / Scrape like metal sound coming from back wheel area

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Dazlad1 
#1 ·
Hi All
Well I had experienced a very unhealthy very loud scraping noise / like metal scraping against something last night. Obviously I’ve never experienced such an unwanted noise, therefore I parked up and called The AA. Whilst waiting I read up on some form’s on here and it stated it could be Stone / salt rock or a twig caught between the brake disks / calliper ? And to select it in reverse for a metre or so then drive forward. I did this and the noise appeared a lot quieter, however I waited patiently for a professional mechanic (AA) on arrival he come with me and test drove it for approximately 1 mile !!! Very weird but no noise at all. Just thought I would share this with you just incase you unfortunately experience the Same. (Always get professional advice Also).

#3 ·
I had that a number of years back. I was in an underground car park so the noise seemed even worse with the echo. It stopped on its own and I was baffled. I was given the same advice as you but I remain amazed that it could create such a noise.

Reactions: Dazlad1
#5 ·
Daz mate glad you fixed it, but tell us something more about the car and post some pics please asap!!!

#7 ·
It's down to the shield behind the brake disk, being a large but thin bit of metal it makes quite the instrument with even a twig stuck back there [emoji28]

#11 ·
Yep I had this too.. my car was in for some work at. Dealers and the manager gave me his brand new A5 sportback and jokingly said make sure I take care of it. Literally about 2 mile down road that evil noise started and I was Oh sh1t what is that!?

Pulled over, couldn't see any issues, reversed out where I'd been parked and drove off and it just disappeared so that was that. 😜🤫

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.