Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some are aware of my U.S. spec A5 being held in a show room here in Germany until it clears customs, I specifically told them not to wash or do anything fancy! But sure enough it was washed and had a small chip in the paint on the hood near the grill. The chip is no larger than the head of a ball point pen (very small)! I think a dab of touch up paint would do the trick, and then do my detail and wax plain!
I know the proper answer is to tell the mo-fo's to have it repainted, but I don't want to wait another second for this car....

Is touch up paint so bad?
What would you guys do?

Any input would be a grateful cause to making me feel better :mad:

·
Registered
254 Posts
I personally would not accept a new car from the showroom,with a known paint defect.

Not what you want to hear,get them to sort it..

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
No chance in hell would I accept touch up paint. Either have it resprayed or get a new bonnet.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I'll go against the grain and say just have them touch it up. I would not want my hood repainted if I didn't have to because your resale value will be less because the new buyer will check for that plus the dealer will put it in their system. If you buy a new Audi they will give you less for your car because of it.

A ballpoint pin size chip can happen on the way home so it's just not that big a deal to me.

Good luck on your decision.....

·
Registered
479 Posts
You know, I agree with sizzle. Repainted panels are among the top things that used car appraisers check for, they will be able to spot that immediately and your resale will be sunk. I would touch it up, clearbra it and you'll be good for the next 5 years.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Someone who knows what they're doing with touch up paint can readily do a great job fixing and smoothing the blemish. Hell, I'm far from a body shop professional, but even I can get results with touch up paint that will please most anybody. It is (or at least should be) more involved than dabbing a little on like nail polish. If the repair consits of the proper preparation, coloring, sanding, and polishing, it can be made nearly perfect.

As much as I can appreciate the desire to have perfection delivered to you, a complete respray of the hood is overkill for a tiny chip, and will probably do more harm than good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I wouldn't have it touched up. Any Audi dealer worth it's salt will have an A1 bodyshop that will quickly have it 'factory painted' & looking brand new again in a few days. Can't see how the long-term value would be affected.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I'll go against the grain and say just have them touch it up. I would not want my hood repainted if I didn't have to because your resale value will be less because the new buyer will check for that plus the dealer will put it in their system. If you buy a new Audi they will give you less for your car because of it.

A ballpoint pin size chip can happen on the way home so it's just not that big a deal to me.

Good luck on your decision.....
+1 Plus, you should have then refund at least a partial payment (assuming you financed the car) for the time the fix the chip.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts