·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Please refer to these 2 write-ups:

Arvin's Underpanel Removal Method (A5)
http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthread.php/my-new-a5-1159/index.html?p=14299

normanh Front Panel Removal Method (A5)
http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthread.php/yellow-fog-lights-1292/index2.html?&highlight=hoen

HOEN Website
http://hoen-usa.com/fog.htm

Okay, so I ordered 2 Hoen H11 bulbs, Xenonmatch White and Endurance Yellow. I am doing the install on an S5, using normanh's method because I did not wanna lift up the car.

A little differently than normanh's first step, I just stuck my fingers in the front panel holes, and pulled, with that first side part coming off easy, it is only the middle tabs that grab like a mo fo and won't let go.I ended up breaking 1 of the 6 tabs on each panel (which I am glueing back on right now). I thought the 2nd panel, I would be able to somehow get it off without breaking, and I tried push and moving in every which way! (I have no idea how normanh didn't break any tabs, maybe A5 and S5 is different? Doesn't look like it though) After the panel removal, all you need is a Star shape allen wrench to remove foglight assembly (2 bolts for each), a flathead screwdriver to remove the harness off of the bulb (stick screwdriver inside the front hole of harness to lift tab), and that's all!

The ENDURANCE YELLOW is more yellow than in the picture (refer to HOEN website photo) and pretty bright, but I thought it would have looked better in person, and after comparing with Xenonmatch White, it makes the car look old.

BROKEN TAB

REGULAR TAB

PASSENGER SIDE (You can see the 4 square holes that 4 of the tabs go in)

DRIVER SIDE

2 STAR allen bolts on each corner of foglight assembly, 3rd is adjustment angle (which I wouldn't touch unless lights are totally aiming the wrong way)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
STOCK VS. HOEN XENONMATCH WHITE VS. HOEN ENDURANCE YELLOW

STOCK VS. YELLOW

BOTH YELLOW

XENONMATCH VS. YELLOW

YELLOW

XENONMATCH

XENONMATCH VS. STOCK

XENONMATCH VS. YELLOW

XENONMATCH VS. YELLOW

CHILLIE DOING THIS WRITE-UP WITH ME

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Is that the lower wattage Xenonmatch or the higher wattage XenonMatch Plus?

Nice writeup!!

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
Thanks much for the walkthrough and photos! Between (among?) Arvin, normanh, and you, I think we've got this thing covered! This one is a no-brainer to do. I mean to choose to do...those tabs make me nervous!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Woops - I just ordered the 50W version and noted afterwards that there is a "Plus" version at 80W. Has everyone gone with the 50W version?
If you get the 80w version they recommend an adapter that handles over 70w. For that reason I went with the 50w.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
house, I noticed the same thing after I had already placed my Hoen order. I too went with the 50 watt bulbs. I may install them this weekend if I have time. I'm not really in a rush to install them, though. My top priority will be installing the Euro spec headlights (currently sitting on my living room floor) so I can get rid of those unsightly amber side markers. :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thanks much for the walkthrough and photos! Between (among?) Arvin, normanh, and you, I think we've got this thing covered! This one is a no-brainer to do. I mean to choose to do...those tabs make me nervous!
with care I didn't damage them just keep a steady pressure when you get the wheel side out using the s'driver or your hands

·
Registered
487 Posts
WOW! ...and I thought my write-up was thorough. This one really takes the cake! Nice job!

Seems like a concensus that unless you don't want to risk breaking a tab then get the car lifted and change out the bulb from underneath. Some local garages may lift it for you real cheap. The dealership charged me ~$60.

House - I ordered the normal H11 not the plus because I didn't want to deal with the adapter.

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
First - did you guys notice that Hoen will refund $5 of your purchase price if you send them your before and after photos? I can't remember whether it said they actually have to use them on their website. It's only 5 measly bucks, but if you already took the photos....

Second- what about their license plate lights? I noticed that my girlfriend's Lexus has LED lights for the license plate and it looks a lot cooler than I would have expected. Are the A5/S5's license plate lights yellowish?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yes the license plate lights are yellowish. I believe somebody with a S4
changed it to LED on Audiworld.com. I would do it looks cool on the Lexus.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
First - did you guys notice that Hoen will refund $5 of your purchase price if you send them your before and after photos? I can't remember whether it said they actually have to use them on their website. It's only 5 measly bucks, but if you already took the photos....

Second- what about their license plate lights? I noticed that my girlfriend's Lexus has LED lights for the license plate and it looks a lot cooler than I would have expected. Are the A5/S5's license plate lights yellowish?
I have the LED license plate lights but haven't installed them yet. Once I get them on I will post before/after pics....

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
License plate LED's

That would be fantastic - thanks, Sizzle. I wish I had known about them before I paid ordered and paid shipping for just the fogs.
FYI, I had contacted Hoen about the license plate LEDs when I ordered my fogs. The response I got back regarding the license plate LEDs was: "...the LED won't work on the Audi lamp system, so the regular C5W must be used." By "regular" C5W, he meant the incandescent filament type bulb.

However, I've learned that you can make the LED license plate lights work with a few modifications. You would need to wire up and tuck in a low-wattage 194 type incandescent bulb (using a wiring harness from a local parts store) to draw enough current so that the system senses the current. Only one of those would need to be installed to make it work. I may get around to trying this eventually.

·
Registered
163 Posts
YelloJello, fantastic right up, pics say it all. I just took delivery of my A5 yesterday and FOR SURE, those factory yellow fogs have to go. Can you tell me the exact HOEN part number you ordered so I can do the same . I can't seem to find it anywhere on your post. I'm in Toronto and I don't know that we have a dealer in town so I may have to order from the US. Also, what was the approx price you paid? - thanks in advance

1 - 20 of 104 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.