Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was very disappointed to find out when i ordered my car, that hill assist (along with drive select) was not yet an available option in the US. but the other day i figured out that i have it! there is no "hill assist" button like the ones we have all seen on youtube etc., but if you take off as normal (this takes some commitment as the brake wont disengage until the clutch is disengaged) it works!! I am very excited about this, as you can tell by the gratuitus use of exclamation marks!!!!!!

- try it and let me know

·
Registered
103 Posts
so are you saying that if im on a hill and i decide to take my foot off the brake, the car isnt going to go anywhere?

i forsee a lot of rear bumper work needing to be done on S5's over the course of the next several days... lol.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you got it buddy! oh and rear bumper damage isnt really an issue for me right now since some [email protected] has already hit mine in a parking lot yesterday!! it'll just blend in... :(

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Hmm, that doesn't really sound like Hill Hold Assist, just the normal electronic brake. Does it apply the brake for you when you come to a complete stop? ie if you come to a halt on the brake, dip the clutch then take your foot off the brake without doing anything else, will you roll back if you're on a hill? You should also get a little green brake symbol in the speedo when it applies the brake for you. If you then open a door or release your belt, this turns red and you'll feel the full electronic brake come on - this only happens with HHA.

If this isn't the case, then you don't have Hill Hold Assist I'm afraid. The way you describe it (releasing the brake when you drive away) is just the way the normal electronic brake works. If you don't have your belt done up, it won't automatically release, you have to press the brake with your foot then release the electronic brake by hand. Again, this isn't HHA.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
damn u europeans and ur complete list of options! ;) jk. so maybe i dont "technically" have hill assist. but we have to make the best with the scraps they toss to us over here...

in all seriousness, i didnt realize that real HHA works in the fashion you described, it sounds very convenient! i also am not familiar with the pneumatic brake (my old s4's obv had traditional hand brakes) but until the rs5 comes out, i suppose my method will have to do! :)

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Yeah, sorry sphive, didn't mean to put you on a downer.

You do get some options we Europeans don't get (rear view parking camera isn't listed in the options, but I believe you can actually get it here) but the main thing is you pay in dollars roughly what we pay in pounds, so I'd swap you your pricing for HHA any day!

·
Registered
55 Posts
No worries, the hill hold assist only makes it so it auto holds the car when you come to a hill...

If you come to a mean hill you can apply the parking brake and it will hold the car for you, it will auto disengage once you bring the clutch up... Perfect

·
Registered
158 Posts
Thats what I do all the time and I didn't have to pay for hill hold.

·
Registered
32 Posts
US Owners... If you use your electronic e brake and have your seat belt on, all you have to do disengage the clutch and the e brake will disengage automatically... In essence it acts as a hill assist... All the same just a different way of using the option. Try it... It works....

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
No worries, the hill hold assist only makes it so it auto holds the car when you come to a hill...
Not just that. It also holds the car when you are going downhill.
Uphill or downhill - doesn't matter, even if you are going lets say 1-2KPH downhill it will stop itself. That's how mine works.:)

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
However, on a steep hill, it will not hold the car in position as you release the clutch... as soon as you begin to release the clutch, the assist releases... at this point the 'bite' in the clutch may not be enough to hold the car and it will roll... It's tricky to get just right... take car when manouevering in a steep car park!! the only way to avoid this is to 'hold' the parking switch up... I need to test this, but when I had this problem at the weekend parked two feet from another car on a steep slope, it was a scary moment!! :eek:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts