Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is a 2.7 TDI 2008 I am the 2nd Owner bought in 2011 the mileage was 50K have now got it to 112K
The car has been Fully serviced with Audi so far fully stamped and up to date.
what is the life expectancy of the car in terms of engine and things that could be expensive?
body wise excellent condition.
I think the car is great I have had 4 TT's 2 recently a big Audi fan

interested in any comments but really happy to keep it on the road.

·
Registered
287 Posts
You are one lucky man.

I've only heard horror stories about the multitronic transmission. The metal belt gets chewed away after time, and especially if the fluids aren't changed religiously.

As for the engine, if it has a timing chain, you may want to check if it's stretched. If it's a belt, check when it should be replaced. Also, the diesel particular filter (DPF) needs replacement after while (I've heard around 100K for the 2.0 TDI) because of soot buildup.

If all of the above checks out, then I think the TDI engines will last quite a long time. My 1.9 TDI almost made it to 200K before a girl in an A5 crashed into it.

What's your secret?

·
Sponsor
2,303 Posts
Ah forgot about the cursed multitronic. As for DPF, assuming you're not using chip fat for fuel it'll last well into 200k. Beyond that with an off car clean.

Things to look out for are the EGR getting clogged up (clean, don't replace). Wheel bearings going, window regulators, suspension wear, door locks. General age related stuff you'd get on any car really. I believe the 2.7 is a underbored 3.0, so should have an easy life, if it wasn't for the crappy gearbox.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Also, if you have quattro then change the differential fluid asap. There are 3 of them. 1 for front wheels, 1 for the quattro drive axle, and 1 for the rear. Replacing those fluids aren't in the Audi maintenance schedule, but if you want to keep the car for a while, make sure you replace all the fluids in the car. That includes power steering. My Golf's crap 01M transmission lasted well over 180K miles before acting up, but my differential blew up at around 90K. I proactively changed the ATF, but didn't know about the differential fluid cuz nobody told me.

The other big unknown is the electronics. Be prepared to spend a few thousand dollars to diagnose and replace any major computers like the engine, transmission, entertainment, or even the convenience modules.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts