Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the US, many of our radio stations are coming on line with digital channels, delivered alongside their analog counterparts. The new technology is called HD Radio. Many/ most new American cars are coming equipped with radios that are capable of receiving this new signal.

Can someone comment on whether this technology is used in Europe, and whether or not the various radios come equipped with HD capable receivers?

·
Registered
99 Posts
In the US, many of our radio stations are coming on line with digital channels, delivered alongside their analog counterparts. The new technology is called HD Radio. Many/ most new American cars are coming equipped with radios that are capable of receiving this new signal.

Can someone comment on whether this technology is used in Europe, and whether or not the various radios come equipped with HD capable receivers?
Audi does not have the HD Radio as an option on the S5 because it's garbage. Sirius/XM are way ahead of the game on high quality radio and beats HD Radio in terms of content. I don't think it's worth the investment. FM Radio still beats HD Radio in terms of content IMHO. If they didn't, then we wouldn't have FM stations anymore, would we?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the comments, but where I am in the SF Bay Area, we receive HD and regular stations as simultaneous broadcasts. From what I read on the HD website, all of the new HD radios have seamless integration with the analog streams, meaning tha you can choose to listen to HD or to analog radio. The choice is given to the listener.

To me, this is not at all a question of content, but is one of whether Audi supports the drivers choice to receive HD or Analog broadcasts. I'm not sure how the idea of content is part of this thread at all.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Yeah, BMW boast on their commercials about having an HD radio standard in all their new cars. I'm curious about this too.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Audi does not have the HD Radio as an option on the S5 because it's garbage. Sirius/XM are way ahead of the game on high quality radio and beats HD Radio in terms of content. I don't think it's worth the investment. FM Radio still beats HD Radio in terms of content IMHO. If they didn't, then we wouldn't have FM stations anymore, would we?
However, HD radio is free vs the XM/Sirius subscriptions and eventually it will replace your existing FM analog radio (just like analog TV will die soon). A lot of the stations in the SF Bay area and now broadcasting in both so I'm not sure it is a worthless.

·
Registered
99 Posts
However, HD radio is free vs the XM/Sirius subscriptions and eventually it will replace your existing FM analog radio (just like analog TV will die soon). A lot of the stations in the SF Bay area and now broadcasting in both so I'm not sure it is a worthless.
I personally wouldn't worry about it if you don't listen to the radio often. I almost never do except for ONE station here in LA and TWO in the SF Bay Area (I don't even know the names of them, the Smooth Jazz one (I think it's 102.something?) and the classical one (which i almost never listen to)). Satellite radio has a LOT of big names for the kind of music I mostly listen to (Electronica) and no radio station in the SF or LA area seems to play just that. So until there's some new EDM station, my money is on Sirius and XM for now.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Energy 92.7 in SF plays Electronica but they only seem to get it right 20% of the time. http://www.energy927fm.com/

102.1 is KDFC which is the classical station. I forget what the Jazz station is.

I agree, unless you are driving daily 2+ hours for work the HD radio will do fine.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Energy 92.7 in SF plays Electronica but they only seem to get it right 20% of the time. http://www.energy927fm.com/

102.1 is KDFC which is the classical station. I forget what the Jazz station is.

I agree, unless you are driving daily 2+ hours for work the HD radio will do fine.
Ya 92.7 is a joke. I meant real stations :p I drive 2 hours for work everyday currently and I'd still rather have my CDs over the HD or Sirius/XM. Although I'll admit, for once today I turned on the FM station to 94.7 (KTWV-The Wave in Los Angeles) because the content is superior to Sirius/XM's Smooth Jazz Cafe channel (yuck). I'll tell you, HD Radio wouldn't make or break an Audi for me over the BMW. I'll take the Audi, ANYDAY!

·
Registered
64 Posts
HD Radio

I have an 07 BMW X5 with HD radio and I must say it's a big improvement over regular FM and sounds a bit better than Sat. radio.
In my NY area there are many stations transmitting in HD so if you listen to FM it's nice.
I also have an Audi A8 that I'm replacing with an S5 and I agree it's not a deal breaker.
What bothers me about the S5 is that the sunroof is tilt only. I would rather have a smaller sun roof that opens than a larger one that just tilts.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Welcome to the site. There is another topic on here with a debate about the sunroof being a slide back vs tilt. Where did you see it is tilt only?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Welcome to the site. There is another topic on here with a debate about the sunroof being a slide back vs tilt. Where did you see it is tilt only?
Thanks, On the Audi Australia web site (link below) it describes an electric tilting sunroof. It does not mention sliding only tilting and it looks too large to slide with the S5's roof line. I hope I'm reading it wrong but I don't think so.
http://www.audi.com.au/content/Rollover.aspx?s=2007#

·
Registered
163 Posts
It comes stand with Sirrus sat. Don't know if it for the entire lease or 3 years or just a 6 month free subscription. I don't know how it will be as I am buying it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts