Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else feel like the A5 is not very good in high crosswinds?
Mine seems significantly more affected by them than my S4 was.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Yes,

I have problems with that. Car is quite unstable when driven at speeds above 180KPH with cross wind or any kind of wind. I don't think you can do anything with it, just drive slower when it's windy.:)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi winds have no affect on mine when driving at 100-120kph or so. Compaired to my old Discovery 3 at least, that was like a sail in high winds, passing out large trucks too, u could really feel it shift and catch the wind.
As Alejandro said, ease off on the throttle if u feel a wobble.:eek:

·
Registered
423 Posts
Does anyone else feel like the A5 is not very good in high crosswinds?
Mine seems significantly more affected by them than my S4 was.

Mine is significantly effected by wind more than any other car Ive had and this can be at a range of speeds. Mine is also proving problematic in that it pulls all over the road on uneven surfaces and even on motorway it is inclined to move around ( as if being hit with gusts although no wind ). Its currently with the dealer for the third time who is fitting new wheels and tyres and looking again for something loose.

Do you have any steering problems with yours A5NJ?

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Mine is significantly effected by wind more than any other car Ive had and this can be at a range of speeds. Mine is also proving problematic in that it pulls all over the road on uneven surfaces and even on motorway it is inclined to move around ( as if being hit with gusts although no wind ). Its currently with the dealer for the third time who is fitting new wheels and tyres and looking again for something loose.

Do you have any steering problems with yours A5NJ?
'
I wonder if this is connected with the other problems experienced by some drivers regarding moving around the road... In those cases, a 4-wheel alignment at the dealership sorted the problem.

???

·
Registered
423 Posts
'
I wonder if this is connected with the other problems experienced by some drivers regarding moving around the road... In those cases, a 4-wheel alignment at the dealership sorted the problem.

???
Have had that done and thought it was fine as I carefully drove home but no, its no better.

I jacked up my front passenger side wheel the other day as it feels as though the problem is there and found a small bit of movement as if the steering rod was loose at the rack! Brought technician out to car to explain this so they should now find that problem ( Jacked up other side too and that was perfectly tight ).
Currently have a 6 year old A4 from the dealer with 105000 miles on clock and it drives much better in a straight line although corners like crap.

·
Registered
435 Posts
On a roadtrip this weekend I found that when I was travelling over 80 mph that the car would drift a little. I figured it was wind, but it bothered me because it felt more like when I had a bad wheel bearing on my last car. Also, on past road trips I hadn't noticed it at all. I checked all tire pressures and they are correct. Don't know what it is, but I won't investigate further until it becomes more pronounced.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have noticed occasional steering wandering issues but not very often, when it first came back from the dealer after its 5K service, the steering wheel vibrated for the first few miles and it felt like the wheels were out of balance on its first highway trip thereafter, but went away after that. They did rotate the tires. Any such occasional issues with wandering may be road related.

·
Registered
423 Posts
it bothered me because it felt more like when I had a bad wheel bearing on my last car.
Thats my problem exactly! You would swear the front wheels/wheel is moving around of its own accord. Not major movement but enough to cause the car to move around. On a smooth road its not really a huge problem but where I drive, the surface is not perfect and roads are narrowish, I really have to constantly correct it to keep it on line. It feels like a car with 100,000 + miles on it.

·
Registered
750 Posts
We had 65 MPH gusts today and solid as a rock!! (S5)

·
Registered
22 Posts
As far as the car wandering on the road, mine "appears" to do so, but it is very subtle. It's interesting however that when I take my hands off the steering wheel the car tracks in a perfectly straight line. If I place my hands at the top or bottom of the steering wheel I get no wandering. Only if I place my hands at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions does it tend to wander. This doesn't happen with my Chevy S10 pickup and I had no issue with my A4. Don't have any control problems on either of my motorcycles. My only guess is that the steering is overly sensitive to inputs from the driver and holding the wheel with your hands at 3 and 9 o'clock tends to create very small steering inputs which are picked up in most cars.

·
Registered
423 Posts
As far as the car wandering on the road, mine "appears" to do so, but it is very subtle. It's interesting however that when I take my hands off the steering wheel the car tracks in a perfectly straight line. If I place my hands at the top or bottom of the steering wheel I get no wandering. Only if I place my hands at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions does it tend to wander. This doesn't happen with my Chevy S10 pickup and I had no issue with my A4. Don't have any control problems on either of my motorcycles. My only guess is that the steering is overly sensitive to inputs from the driver and holding the wheel with your hands at 3 and 9 o'clock tends to create very small steering inputs which are picked up in most cars.
Mine is much worse than that. Especially in cases where the front suspension moves up and down. I find that alot of steering angle is required to maintain a straight line.
Dealer fitted new wheels and tyres and have had wheel alignment done. Still the same.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.