Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, newbie here. I'm planning on ordering an S5 next week. I have an 07 2.0Tfsi TT mark2 and a TVR T350c. The tt is too slow and not sporty enough and the TVR is just crazy although major fun. I'm hoping the S5 will be a little bit of both. I won't miss the TT but i'll miss the TVR because i think it appeals to all a petrolheads senses, light weight with a huge engine and rear wheel drive with stunning performance and amazing soundtrack but in real life it's just not practical.

My question is about Pearl Silver leather, the dealer doesn't have a car fitted with one and i'm concerned that it might be a little cream or beige when i'd prefer it to be white, is this the case?.

I'm also thinking of getting deep sea blue . It's the colour of my tt and is really nice because it's dark but doesn't show up swirl marks as badly as brilliant or phantom black. Does d.s blue suit the S5?.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Hi lankmur :)

I think doubledoom's leather is Pearl Silver (somebody better correct me if i'm wrong
), seen it for the first time today, and i must say it is Stunning :cool:

As for the Colour of car, all personal choice, but in My Opinion Blue does simply not cut in on an S5.... not one bit (sorry but only my opinion)

Where abouts are you ??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,
Just picked up my DSB S5 with black/silver alacantra insets 2 days ago and I have had nothing but compliments about the color and the combination. The dealer ordered one on spec in black and he said seeing the DSB in person that he would have picked that color if he would do it again (?blowing smoke?). The color is stunning and there are definitely not a lot of DSB S5's around.

·
Registered
151 Posts
i have DSB pearl....

That pic above is quite accurate. It's rather on the white side, more than silvery. In certain lights it looks a bit off white, creamy, or antiquey, but the vast majority of times it looks white. People see it, and they say white. I have a pic of mine on the audiworld forum.

http://forums.audiworld.com/a5/msgs/34700.phtml

I posted on this link, under geoffrey2k - if you go to my account link on my message and go to picture poster, you can see my DSB Pearl. I had not seen Pearl before buying, but was super pleased with the result and still love it just as much as the first day. Also, it is not hard at all to keep clean.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Hi Lankmur,

Welcome to the forum. Take a second and update your profile with your location so we can assist you better; the cars are quite different from location to location.

Also, I have the Phantom Black, it shows swirls about as bad as the DS Blue would..the DS may even show it more (if I remember correctly it has no metal flake in it?) whereas the PB has lots of metal flakes that help hide the minor swirls a little.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Yeah, I agree with ccompton (and btw, I am going to take a wild guess and say he lives in England, or someplace else in the UK). I would also say that although the worst for swirls would be brilliant black, I do believe that DSB may be a tad worse than phantom when it comes to swirls.

Anyways, how about something different... if you are set on blue, what about custome ordering Mugello Blue, which, although it is a special order color (2500 USD here, so probably around 1500-2000 pounds), it honestly looks amazing! TonyG just picked up his and it looks fantastic (http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthread.php/my-mugello-blue-3834/index.html), and although it does look kinda like DSB, I think that it is different enough to give it a go if, otherwise, you hated all standard colors on the S5 except DSB. And also, how about Sprint Blue? It is my second favorite color on the S5, and it sometimes fights a lot for first, and as I have mentioned before, I have spent a lot of time trying to decide between phantom on red, or sprint on pearl silver. And it has gotten harder now, since I only have days, maybe hours, until I can't change options on my car. I think I have decided to keep my original decision, brilliant, as although I love SB, phantom is a little classier (although my friends all say I am not a classy person, so why does that matter, lol), and when you see a phantom S5 with LEDs on coming toward you, it really looks menacing... when I see one, I honestly get chills down my spine. Although I must admit that it would have been really nice to see them both back to back, or hell, even see one of the colors, as I have never seen SB and I only say my first phantom S5 3 days ago. Maybe I can buy a second sprint blue S5 instead of picking up the FX50 S or X6 35i I am considering getting to replace my LR, lol... and dammit I am rambling, sorry guys, but as you can tell, no matter how many people in the world may wish to have to make the decision I am, if I keep thinking about it, my brain may explode, lol.

Anyways, back to the subject, if you want to see an S5 in most standard colors, go here: http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthread.php/a5-s5-color-99/index.html or here: http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthread.php/members-cars-194/index.html

Oh, and BTW, if you don't mind special ordering the color like the Mugello, then you should consider Daytona Grey Metallic, which I believe is not optional on the S5 because it is an RS/R8 only color, but some people have special ordered it and it looks amazing. In fact, it looks so good that its actually my favorite color on an S/A5, and if it didn't cost 2500 I would have gotten it (look through this thread for pics: http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthread.php/a5-owner-january-668/index.html?p=6700 )

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hi Lankmur,

Welcome to the forum. Take a second and update your profile with your location so we can assist you better; the cars are quite different from location to location.

Also, I have the Phantom Black, it shows swirls about as bad as the DS Blue would..the DS may even show it more (if I remember correctly it has no metal flake in it?) whereas the PB has lots of metal flakes that help hide the minor swirls a little.
Not correct. The DSB has a lot of metallic in it. However, you usually only notice it in the light. I would think that the swirling on the DSB would be just as bad as the Phantom, unless of course PB is a disaster. My point is that there is plenty of swirl potential on the DSB. I know first hand.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Not correct. The DSB has a lot of metallic in it. However, you usually only notice it in the light. I would think that the swirling on the DSB would be just as bad as the Phantom, unless of course PB is a disaster. My point is that there is plenty of swirl potential on the DSB. I know first hand.
Thanks for the info Geoffrey, I wasn't sure...
So he should be _ok_ with swirls, but since it is a pretty dark color, they will still be there. I don't really have swirls too bad at all, just periodic 'spider webbing' but it is mild. If you follow proper washing/drying techniques, it really isn't that hard to keep marks to a minimum.

Although, I clay my own car every 3 or 4 washes which helps...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
thank you all for your replies. good guess i live in the u.k. or northern ireland to be more precise, i'll update my profile shortly!.
A little backround to my choice of colour. i had a phantom black tt in jan '07 and it was valeted by the dealer before delivery.
it came to me covered in swirls and i rejected the car and made the dealer order me a new car in ds blue. IMO phantom black was a little cloudy in non direct and low light. On the re-ordered tt i told the dealer not to clean it and leave the plastic on it for the PDI. i took the plastic off with the manager and the paintwork was pristine. i never brush or jet washed the car and used swissvax saphir on the body.
i may sound a little obsessive but i like my cars to be clean.
I will be making sure the dealer does not valet or clean the S5 and the same no clean rule goes for servicing.
nobody will care about your car unless you send it to a trusted professional detailer.
having had a car in both colours the ds blue IMO was almost black on dull days and an amazing deep blue on a sunny day and a deep purple under flourescent light!...
I never had a swirl problem with the second tt but that's because i was careful, so therfore even brilliant black would be okay if you could take the hassle.
i have looked at many black cars up close including new ferraris and astons and they are always covered in swirls which can be avoided.

·
Registered
750 Posts
thank you all for your replies. good guess i live in the u.k. or northern ireland to be more precise, i'll update my profile shortly!.
A little backround to my choice of colour. i had a phantom black tt in jan '07 and it was valeted by the dealer before delivery.
it came to me covered in swirls and i rejected the car and made the dealer order me a new car in ds blue. IMO phantom black was too dull and cloudy in non direct and low light. On the re-ordered tt i told the dealer not to clean it and leave the plastic on it for the PDI. i took the plastic off with the manager and the paintwork was pristine. i never brush or jet washed the car and used swissvax saphir on the body.
i may sound a little obsessive but i like my cars to be clean.
I will be making sure the dealer does not valet or clean the S5 and the same no clean rule goes for servicing.
nobody will care about your car unless you send it to a trusted professional detailer.
having had a car in both colours the ds blue IMO was almost black on dull days and an amazing deep blue on a sunny day and a deep purple under flourescent light!...
I never had a swirl problem with the second tt but that's because i was careful, so therfore even brilliant black would be okay if you could take the hassle.
i have looked at many black cars up close including new ferraris and astons and they are always covered in swirls which can be avoided.
He-he...I can tell you are new here...what you described is not obsessive compared to some if us (ehem..right TX?)...Just kidding...TX!!!!!

I was just at the dealer and I NEVER, EVER allow them to wash my car. I have seen the poor guys that leave their Porsches at the dealer, and the car wash guys ("valet" is too good for them) will chamois all over the car (including the wheels) and then sweep over the car again!!!

I picked up my car from being serviced last week and said "no way!" to the wash...but noticed that some azzhole in the service department put a drink can on the metal part of my roof!!! They left a drink can ring/mark on the roof!!!

So definitely stick with the no-wash-as-the-dealer policy! :D

Enjoy your car.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
He-he...I can tell you are new here...what you described is not obsessive compared to some if us (ehem..right TX?)...Just kidding...TX!!!!!
Haha! :D No comment. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have an 08 Deep Sea Blue S5 with Pearl Silver leather. To my eye, the leather seats have no silver in them really and I'd describe them as just slightly off white. Years ago I saw a 550 Maranello that was painted a deep metallic blue with a white interior - which I thought was a beautiful combination.

As for the paint - I couldnt say that it's more or less susceptible to swirls than any other color. It's more about taking care of the paint than anything else. I just had my car detailed professionally after having it for 6 months and the minor swirls are gone and the car absolutely glows.

Mugello Blue is slightly lighter than DSB - and is a beautiful blue color.... Had it been available for the S5 I would have ordered it. Cant justify the extra just for paint personally....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts