Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all of you there..
I must be the 1st and sole (till now) owner of an A5 1.8 in Greece. I grabbed it as soon as it arrived in Athen's port! I was a regular reader of A5oc but now , as an owner, I decided to participate more intensely.
The car is simply stunning...Due to the fact that there arent any A5s or S5s here in Greece, its fun watching those BMW and Merc drivers drop thei jaws and scratch their heads ('What the hell was that').
Anyway, I 've noticed there is at least one more Greek -soon to be- A5 owner. Well greetings to you Dimitris. A re Patrida!
Nice to know you all!!

One ?. How will I post pics of my baby? Notice I dont have any web space..Thanx.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hi Prince,welcome to the site, webspace?? I used photobucket to upload photos,it's free:)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi Prince, welcome! Im new here myself but ive a long wait (10 weeks) before my A5 1.8T is delivered. I'm looking forward to seeing your pics when you get them up. Best of luck!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hi there, Prince!
Yes you got yourself a sweet thing there! And yes you must be one of the first 1.8T's around. As a matter of fact it's only been a few days my well trained radars have started to spot those beauties around on a relatively regular basis... still a great sight in every aspect! I ve ordered mine some month or so ago and was quoted aprox 14 weeks for delievery. Was it so in your case as well, given that you must have ordered quite early on after the list was opened?
Anyways could you drop us a couple of lines regarding how the thing drives. Being Greek I take it you must already have some k's on the clock if you know what i mean! Hows the ride on those wheels (I opted for the same on mine). I have taken an 1.8T tester for a short spin in early Feb and the ride was very comfy despite it being on the 245/40 18's so I am guessing no problems there with the 245/45 17's. One more thing: how's the sound once the engine is run in and you put some weight on the right foot? It sounded a little timid to me when I tested it but then again it was such a short ride and mostly motorway plus I was focused on the dealer's rep onboard presentation so no serious conclusions could be extracted! Any elaboration will be much apreciated. Kalotaxido!

Regards
George

·
Registered
198 Posts
Should not think you will need those heated :eek: seats in the summer Prince:D Welcome to the club.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Welcome ;)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First Impressions

Thank you all for your warm welcome people!
Well, Geo, the fact is that I have the car for quite some time and there are “some k's on the clock”:) , so I could shed some light in the way the car handles and whether the 1.8 TFSI engine is appropriate for a car like this. I think there’s no need to commend the looks or the build quality.

Though I haven’t any experience in sports cars to compare to, the car gives me the impression that it handles very well. In mid-to-high speeds the car follows the lines the steering wheel imposes and you have to push things really really hard in order to make the car diverge from its course. I think that the big distances between the wheels plus the relatively small weight (no Quattro - light 1.8T engine that further enhances balance) make the car responsive and agile - it really feels at home in curly roads with consecutive mild curves. Also, the car doesn’t have any abrupt reactions while tuning in high speeds. When you are in a fury, the more you ‘ll press the gas pedal or steer the wheel, the more understeer you’ll get. As simple as that. ;) FWD in all its glory! Its very important to me that the understeer limits can not be reached in every day driving and, in any way, the driver can predict what the car will do, given the speed and the curve. My A5 gives me that confidence.

In low speeds, the car is so steady and serene that if it wasn’t for the moving environment around the car, you wouldn’t be able to tell if you are rolling. The cohesive ride, the engine that can’t be heard in low revs, the doors that seal the interior-all those things relieve you from your daily stress. To be exact, prior to delivery I thought that driving such car would make me nervous but in reality, of all the cars I had, audi gives me the most inner peace while driving. The ride is pretty stiff too. The road that leads to my home is very generous in pumps and pits and I have the impression that A5 doesn’t shake much more than my family’s Opel Astra or Renault Laguna. Those 17’’s spoil the looks :( but for sure soften the ride!

The engine (1.8 TFSI) is just adequate for the car. After all, 170 hp (dyno’ed at 181) would not be that low for my aunt’s car but the way THIS car handles screams for more power. When I drive in countryside roads I often say “Damn I wish I had another 100 hp”. Moreover, in order to get the best of the engine you have to rev it high (above 4k rpm). In low revs I get the feeling the torque is less than what Audi claims. It’s clear that with this engine A5 is definitely not a sports car, but a confident cruiser. You may overtake other family sedans but in no way mess with a GTI or a 4WD Japan motor. Just adequate. At least engine’s sound is prominent on high revs, Geo!

But the looks of the car….every time I come or leave home I pass on purpose through the garage just to look at it for a few seconds. Hilly, I will definitely tint the car before summer comes. Black Exterior+Black Interior+Greek sun+No tint = :eek: 3rd degree burn guaranteed. By the way the car was not tailored to my specifications. It was one of the first A5s to set foot in Greece (for sure the first phantom black) and since it was close to my preferences I grabbed it the very 1st day I got to the dealer. I didn’t even bother to visit another dealer in order to get a better discount. If I was to place an order for a specific car I would end up waiting for 4 months according to the dealer and I couldn’t do that. 14 weeks…you must be really patient Geo. I would fly to Germany to get one directly from factory (I know you cant do that!) :p

·
Registered
143 Posts
Thanks for the report P.
It was indeed very thorough and helped me relate to some of the things you addressed regarding the car's handling and performance, at least to the extent that my short spin allows me to.
As far as the wheels we both went for goes I believe that A5's impressive posture and relatively big dimensions are paired better with 18'+ wheels. However the particular 6 spoke design does it for me and the fact that it sits on a 245/45 tyre (considerably wide and adequately low IMO) reduces the empty wheel arch effect.
Keep on enjoying the ride mate!

George

PS Any tips to ease the long wait effect? Short term memory loss doesn't help! Now what was I saying?:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
hey prince! thnx for the info. i m glad to find out that someone is greece has got his order delivered!it looks fantastic! i have saw just one more in thessaloniki but it was a S5. how long did u wait for the car to come; i have to wait almost 9 months. i was supposed to have at may but know they are telling me october. some friends are telling me to go for the bmw 320 coupe and cancel my a5 order but after all i read here i ll just have to wait. which sound system do u have; have u ...tested it; cause the sound systems that many cars have are way below average.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes George I agree the dimensions of the car fit better with larger wheels, especially those 19'' Y design wheels are a work of art and really complement the car. Besides that when I took delivery of my car there happened to be another two a5s in the dealer which were wearing 18''s (the 10 spoke "V" and the s-line 5 spoke design). In a strange way, according to the expressed opinions, our 17'' fitted the car better and made it look more sporty.:confused: I myself prefer the looks of the 6 spoke 17'' more than any A5 18'' wheel. 6 spoke design is not that usual after all. ;) Moreover, as you 've guessed the gap between the wheels and the body is not big, cause even in standard factory settings the car sits relatively low. A big improvement on looks though, would be to add spacers on wheels, especially the back ones are placed to deep in the car and are not vertically aligned with the body, which spoil the look.
Gous 9 months of waiting is a loooooong period of time. The car for sure worths the wait, but bare in mind that as a smaller period of time became 9 months, the same way 9 months can become more. I wouldn't want to end up being the dealer's joke. I know cases of people here in Greece that have ordered the car last summer and are still waiting. As I have described above I did not order any car so I didnt have to wait for any car. My A5 was sitting in Athens port waiting to be bought. I just moved quickly:D
My cars audio system is Concert with 8 speakers in total. The sound is decent and I consider myself an audiophile. It has no sub, no amp and some speakers on the dash and doors are empty. Those will be the first upgrades on the car. All you Europeans know that here in Greece the standard sound system is Chorus (no mp3/no flash memory/minimal watts) with four (yes four) speakers.:eek: Only here and in Audi Tatzikhistan you get such luxury…they really spoil us.

Let me get another pic of my pride:
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii124/PrinceA5/MyRide06.jpg
and another one:
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii124/PrinceA5/MyRide04.jpg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts