Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Audi A5 2014
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! Never posted on a forum before, but I’ve given up! I recently have acquired some turbo issues (I think). Symptoms are mostly when accelerating, it will only go into the low 3,000 rpm’s and then drop suddenly. It may also suddenly jump up into higher rpm’s and hold steady. No smoke out of the exhaust and I’ve put pressure through the system and there are no identifiable leaks. Scanning it comes up with no codes. Turbo doesn’t whine and i can’t hear and abnormal flutter. Do I take it in and pay upwards of a grand or does someone have any other options and tests/fixes I can do? Is the turbo going bad?

thank you!!
Luke

·
Registered
143 Posts
What is the car?

Is it shuddering?

Can you hear any different sounds than normal from the turbo?

Have you checked coil packs?

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Audi A5 2014
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is the car?

Is it shuddering?

Can you hear any different sounds than normal from the turbo?

Have you checked coil packs?

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk
2014 Audi A5 2.0. No shudder, it simply will accelerate quickly and then drop in rpm’s as if you floored it, but your foot is constant, not actually accelerating. No sounds, truly like it’s brand new. I haven’t checked coil packs, why check those?

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
How good is your scanner? I simply cannot believe that such behaviour would not register codes. VCDS has an aggressive mode which will pick up codes that have no other symptoms.
Limp mode will limit revs but it usually requires an ECU cycle to clear it.
If not that then it sounds like wastegate control. From my experience Audi controls all turbo wastegates pneumatically and the control value is usually N75. That valve could be bad or you could have an intermittent vacuum leak.

Reactions: SimonRoma

·
Registered
Audi A5 2014
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How good is your scanner? I simply cannot believe that such behaviour would not register codes. VCDS has an aggressive mode which will pick up codes that have no other symptoms.
Limp mode will limit revs but it usually requires an ECU cycle to clear it.
If not that then it sounds like wastegate control. From my experience Audi controls all turbo wastegates pneumatically and the control value is usually N75. That valve could be bad or you could have an intermittent vacuum leak.
Scanner is pretty good.
I spoke with a mechanic who, without looking at it yet, thinks it is a clutch issue. The car is a manual with almost 100,000 miles, however I still think it is something to do with the turbo. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
I cannot see how a turbo problem would give these symptoms honestly. It COULD be a range of issues so you need an expert to scan the car with VCDS cos these cars are complex.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts