Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

Scared to drive this car any more since this started.
Haven't been driving silly at all, very conservative - but it's definitely related to RPM / acceleration.
Easier to hear at low revs, speeds up at higher revs.

EDITED WITH NEWER VIDEO - Streamable Video

Can anyone help? Car is low mileage (36K)

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Check your drive belts for any sign of movement.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I presume the sound is coming from underneath and not the engine? Always difficult to diagnose from a video.

·
Registered
Audi S5 sportback
290 Posts
Check drive shaft to rear

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hey guys an update for you:

Local mechanic thinks it might be tensioner or one of the chains. Apparently if so its an engine out job? Can anyone confirm this and if so what kind of money I'm looking at arhhgggg.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
There are some videos/sound clips on the web of timing chain rattle and they don't sound like that. However chain stretch is unfortunately one of the know problems on the original engine. The design was revised on the 2014+ CREC engine so those of use with newer cars are hoping that we don't need to face the problem.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are some videos/sound clips on the web of timing chain rattle and they don't sound like that. However chain stretch is unfortunately one of the know problems on the original engine. The design was revised on the 2014+ CREC engine so those of use with newer cars are hoping that we don't need to face the problem.
Hi Dippy,

My model is 2015 and 36k miles so im flabbergastered that this is happening. Audi can't look at the car until November !

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
You never actually responded to any of our questions/suggestions, so what are you expecting from posting here? I listened to the clip again and the sounds seems more like a softer "flapping" than the harsher clanking of metal, so I'll maintain my thought that it could be drive belt related. I did read of a report of crank pulley failure from someone in mainland Europe at similar mileage to your car.

Reactions: SimonRoma

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You never actually responded to any of our questions/suggestions, so what are you expecting from posting here? I listened to the clip again and the sounds seems more like a softer "flapping" than the harsher clanking of metal, so I'll maintain my thought that it could be drive belt related. I did read of a report of crank pulley failure from someone in mainland Europe at similar mileage to your car.
Thanks Dippy. Just expecting some advice for help. I have an update the mechanic thinks it could be the chain tensioner. He held a screwdriver to the engine with his ear and said its coming from the top / back part. Engine out job to diagnose as no fault codes. Just amazed at 36k miles

·
Premium Member
3,199 Posts
TAKE THE CAR TO A VAG EXPERT!!!! This could be almost anything. Of course her will tell you its an engine out job cos that means he can take all yer money!! Get a second opinion mate.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Thanks Dippy. Just expecting some advice for help. I have an update the mechanic thinks it could be the chain tensioner. He held a screwdriver to the engine with his ear and said its coming from the top / back part. Engine out job to diagnose as no fault codes. Just amazed at 36k miles
Is this the same mechanic that said you couldn't fit that larger TB you posted about, about 4 months ago? :)

As Dippy says, it really doesn't sound like chain or tensioners!? Sounds more like grandad flapping his slipper on the table! :)

Seriously it sounds more like something loose. But can understand you don't want to drive it in case it is doing more damage.

Where abouts are you?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is this the same mechanic that said you couldn't fit that larger TB you posted about, about 4 months ago? :)

As Dippy says, it really doesn't sound like chain or tensioners!? Sounds more like grandad flapping his slipper on the table! :)

Seriously it sounds more like something loose. But can understand you don't want to drive it in case it is doing more damage.

Where abouts are you?
Well I do trust the guys at this mechanic, they are both VAG guys and they are so backlogged I don't think they'd lie to me. I'm based in Surrey. My local audi can't see me until November, it's absolutely mental

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
It is difficult to tell from a phone recording.

My local dealer did an S and RS free health check last weekend for any S or RS models, but my past experience with them, leaving me with steam coming up from the bonnet and nearly over heating and lies from the technician makes me not want to go anywhere near again! :)

Can you do another video? Under the bonnet and move around the car to hear from different angles? Maybe a few revs to hear the change?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It is difficult to tell from a phone recording.

My local dealer did an S and RS free health check last weekend for any S or RS models, but my past experience with them, leaving me with steam coming up from the bonnet and nearly over heating and lies from the technician makes me not want to go anywhere near again! :)

Can you do another video? Under the bonnet and move around the car to hear from different angles? Maybe a few revs to hear the change?

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
That doesn't sound good! :(
Can you film down the front of the engine? Sorry not trying to turn you into Spielburg, just trying to get to hear from different sides.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That doesn't sound good! :(
Can you film down the front of the engine? Sorry not trying to turn you into Spielburg, just trying to get to hear from different sides.
What are you thinking? I'll try when I'm back with the car!

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Just want to rule out the crank pulley.

But, unfortunately I found a video, that does sound a bit like yours. :) Only watch when you are sitting down, maybe with a whiskey!
The engine wasn't actually broke in this one, just the noise! It looks like some plastic wedged itself in the timing chain.

Another but, as Dippy says, the CREC engine was fitted from May 2014 and had a host of engine updates, one being to the timing chains, covers, tensioners etc and low mileage like yours, I wouldn't expect this noise! Do feel for you, nothing worse!

There does appear to be a lot of ticking too, like a possible abnormal oil pressure.

What's the service history like?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just want to rule out the crank pulley.

But, unfortunately I found a video, that does sound a bit like yours. :) Only watch when you are sitting down, maybe with a whiskey!
The engine wasn't actually broke in this one, just the noise! It looks like some plastic wedged itself in the timing chain.

Another but, as Dippy says, the CREC engine was fitted from May 2014 and had a host of engine updates, one being to the timing chains, covers, tensioners etc and low mileage like yours, I wouldn't expect this noise! Do feel for you, nothing worse!

There does appear to be a lot of ticking too, like a possible abnormal oil pressure.

What's the service history like?
Oh god! Service history is spot on. I'm really scared now

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Have you had it scanned? Is there any lights on the dash?

The service history on yours will be the digital history, so no book, unless it's been serviced elsewhere?

Just with the tapping sound too, it sounds like low oil pressure. If you can remove the oil filter and check as this can show oil related faults like debris or dirty oil etc

If you were close to me, I would have a look for you!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts