Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to order an Audi S5 (tiptronic) tomorrow but would like to see pictures of it with Active Cruise Control. Does any1 has seen any pictures with it ? I will be very thankful

Thanks in advance !!!

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Yes, I have one ... but not with me at the moment. I'll post one in about an hour.

·
Registered
314 Posts
WHAT, they can get Active Cruise over there already?!?!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thx TX :) I hope it wont mess up the nice front look

Greeney :) yep there is Active Cruise as far as i see the list with the extras :)

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I'd be interested because I thought the option was 'invisible' from the outside... A few years back, I worked with a company developing automotive radar systems that go inside the bumper (fender) for this purpose and they were invisible.

I don't believe ultrasonic stype ensors would have a suitable range without a wave-guide but I wait to see!

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Pic

Thx TX :) I hope it wont mess up the nice front look
Unfortunately, it does just a bit. :(

BTW, I also included pics of a 2009 A4 and a 3-series with ACC for comparison purposes.

Attachments

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thx alot

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Looks like ths is one area BMW have managed to make it look better than Audi. To my eye, the S5 (and the A4 to a lesser extent) look like they've got one fog light missing! It would look far better if they fitted a dummy version of the radar housing on the opposite side to re-balance the look of the front. The BMW version is much less noticeable.

Would have loved to have this as I use the standard cruise control an awful lot - it's an essential optional extra for me, above everything else on my list of options in fact. Sadly not an option in the UK as yet (as far as I'm aware).

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I agree, a dummy on the otherside would look great.

Besides... when did Antonio Banderas buy an A5? (see silver picture) ;)

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I agree, a dummy on the otherside would look great.

Besides... when did Antonio Banderas buy an A5? (see silver picture) ;)
Ian, that's the new A4, not an A5 (typo?) - the LEDs are a different shape, and it's got 4 doors.

Also, I don't think that's Antonio Banderas - it's clearly Gerard Depardieu with a beard and dodgy wig on!:D

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i love my ACC on my car here... but the way the Audi has managed to put it looks awful.. and thats a reason not to order it ... :(

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Oh man, glad I saw these pics.

I go on long drives every now and then and was definitely going to get the Adaptive Cruise Control option, but after seeing how they place it on S5 I'm going to have to pass.

That looks pretty bad. Couldn't they work on shrinking the form factor a little and putting it in the center underneath the license plate filler, so it is less noticeable?

Shame on Audi design team for that one.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Ughh - glad I passed on that.

I considered it, but during a 3 1/2 hour drive on interstate highway, I was imagining myself just letting the car slow down and speed up, and I couldn't imagine doing it.

Now seeing the "R2D2" like appendage on the grill is confirmation. Not knowing much about these Adaptive Cruise systems, I had no idea before seeing this thread that the car would have looked differently - I figured it was hidden/disquised like side assist, or backup sensors.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Thread revival

Until recently, I hadn't really noticed any members who have the ACC option on their car. In an unrelated thread, members Ben and Shervinf kindly shared their thoughts (see below) on the performance of this option after I inquired. Sounds like a pretty neat option to have. I still wish Audi could somehow make the sensor more discrete.

I live in Socal, and you can't really use regular cruise control as the speeds fluctuate too much. You have to have adaptive, otherwise you'll hit someone, even when you're on the main highways outside of the city. The short answer to your question, yes I use it whenever I'm on the freeways and will be driving for a while. I like it and it works really well. I think that it's worth the extra I paid for it. It also give you another feature (the radar) that if you sneak up on a car too fast, it will warn you so it will help to reduce accidents. It's kind of simillar to the new Volvo City Stop system, except that it won't hit the breaks for you, it will just pre-pressurize the system.
Hey TX, I too have the adaptive cruise and absolutely love it. I do a fair bit of highway driving and it works great. I realize the "hassel" of either using your foot or adjusting regular cruise isn't that bad but on our roads where we have so many changes in speed limit it just made sense. Here is a pic. The lense is only really noticable when at standstill and despite it looking out of place it does generate a lot of interest.

I believe it was money well spent :running: as for the price in Aus, i can't really remember, sorry...

I recently snapped these photos at a local dealership. It shows the ACC sensor on a 2009 A5 (non S-line). Oh yeah, the cost for this option is currently $2,100 USD.

Attachments

·
Registered
452 Posts

I have no regrets really with getting my Adaptive Cruise option... It wasn't one of my top choice options, however it was dumb luck with having the car of my dreams built the way I wanted it, only with adaptive cruise built in.... it was either that or waiting 4 months to receive one without... After scoring a decent settlement with the dealer, I ended up having the car with ACC...

I can write up a better review at a later time however, this option rocks...
The appearance change is subtle... maybe its just me...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts