Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have come across an A5 3.0 tdi Quattro with mileage of 150k, 3 owners, full history with loads of recipts. Last owner (3rd) has put 50k motorway miles on it from 2016-today resulting in the 150k. Is this worth it? How long could it last if looked after? Will it be very expensive?
I am just looking for advice as I am keen to get my first a5 and this seemed like the best place to ask for advice until I can call myself an a5 owner. If the car is no good and likely to be a money pit, could anyone point me in the right direction of what I should look at getting for best value and reliability? What mileage? Ect

Thanks

·
Registered
585 Posts
I brought mine when it was 6yrs old with 170k, had no issue at all, at 206k now,

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Gona be honest mate, i probably wouldnt bother with cars that have over 100k on clock and/or are getting towards 10 year old mark. Last 2 cars ive bought over 100k on clock have been nothing but problems , my A5 2007 3.0 TDI is a fantastic car, looks lovely and quite fast but i bought it a year ago at 112,000 and in a year ive needed a new clutch and flywheel, contant dpf issues until i had the fucker deleted as it was driving me mad and now have transmission issues that are going to cost over a grand to fix.

I know people will say theyve bought high mileage cars and been fine but in my experience youre much more likely to have to start spending serious money on older and high mileage cars. These german motors dont get any cheaper to fix.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
As said, it is a bit of a lottery, some will be fine, some give problems. But the same can be said for lower mileage cars as they don't get used enough. :) But this is the same with any make.

If the car has been serviced well and has history to prove it, it looks and drives good with no faults, and a good price, then it may be all good.

There aren't any major common issues with these models. What year is it?

Common issues on the 3.0 TDi;
Swirl intake flaps (cheapish to fix, some say the inlet manifold needs changing, but normally it the little connector rods at £14 that sorts it.)
Door handles can disconnect from inside and not open, but a bit of lube sorts it
Window mechanisms go, this can be around £350 if you go to the dealer, but much cheaper DIY
Early models DPF warnings, but usually the sensor needs replacing as actual DPF doesn't normally give trouble unless another issue
Front wheel bearings only seem to last about 70K miles

:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dude, it depends on what price they offer you to buy it for. If more than $12,000 then this is certainly not worth it and if less then I think this is a good offer. More recently, I myself bought a car like this Audi A5 3.0 TDI on gas and it is no worse than the same but on gasoline. I love this car so much, it's fast, looks luxurious and it's comfortable. I bought it for $16,999 and it had a mileage of about 100,200. So it was a nice offer. Also before purchasing it, I sold my old Audi for $10,300 to the vehicle removal service cashforcars-perth.com.au.

·
Premium Member
2,568 Posts
We all speak as we find, in other words from our own experience. I purchased my 3200 V6 in a sorry state and nursed her back to health and she did me proud for about 80k kms and 4 years so u pays yer money and takes yer risks, but the A5 seems to be an excellently/engineered and built car.VERY strong.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dude, it depends on what price they offer you to buy it for. If more than $12,000 then this is certainly not worth it and if less then I think this is a good offer. More recently, I myself bought a car like this Audi A5 3.0 TDI on gas and it is no worse than the same but on gasoline. I love this car so much, it's fast, looks luxurious and it's comfortable. I bought it for $16,999 and it had a mileage of about 100,200. So it was a nice offer. Also before purchasing it, I sold my old Audi for $10,300 to the vehicle removal service cashforcars-perth.com.au.
Nice offer, but how old was you Audi, the one you gave to removal service?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts