Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, took delivery of a 9 month old 3.0 Sport on Friday, then had to accept the smug look on the wifes face when I was fighting to get the 3 months old babies seat into the back. I am not a brilliant contortionist, but I had a good go. After the seat was in it was quite cramped in the front. The seat I have for the baby is a Jane Slalom Pro, does anyone have experience of a rear facing baby seat that fits well in the back and will shut the wife up! I also have a 2 and half year old whose seat fits fine, but am looking at an isofix one for him as he is ready to move to te next type, so again all info gratefully received.

Many thanks Nick:D

·
Registered
39 Posts
unfortunately the front seats do not come forward far enough to allow easy fitting of a rear facing child seat, I have since given up and put the child seat in the front whilst I or my wife sit in the back.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Hi there, took delivery of a 9 month old 3.0 Sport on Friday, then had to accept the smug look on the wifes face when I was fighting to get the 3 months old babies seat into the back. I am not a brilliant contortionist, but I had a good go. After the seat was in it was quite cramped in the front. The seat I have for the baby is a Jane Slalom Pro, does anyone have experience of a rear facing baby seat that fits well in the back and will shut the wife up! I also have a 2 and half year old whose seat fits fine, but am looking at an isofix one for him as he is ready to move to te next type, so again all info gratefully received.
Yeah, rear facing seats are bound to be a problem in a car like this.

Check out Britax (Römer in Germany):

http://www.britax.co.uk/

Kidfix and and Safefix plus might interest you for the older kid. Very good ISOFIX seats, excellent quality and great reviews in my opinion. I doubt you'd have any issues with them in an A5 either.

Check out also Baby-safe Sleeper from Britax for the younger one. I don't know if it fits, but might be cool for a 3 month old and if it fits, an easier installation.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I have Britax First Class Si Ultra, which is very good childseat 0-18 kg, but rear facing on rear seat the same problem, but on front seat ( passenger's airbag dissabled of course) you can't see right mirror ...

·
Registered
204 Posts
Rear facing is a problem no matter what the car. There was a post a few months back where a guy put the seat in the middle of the back seats. That woud open up the front leg room for you. His was front facing but I'm sure you could try it. You might need some towels to make sure it is firmly planted in the middle... plus, you don't scratch the rear center console. I know the looks your getting. I had the same battle with my old 911. You want to talk about cramped.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I still think that for a small child (up to 10-13 kg I believe) this Britax Baby-safe Sleeper might be ideal for an A5. The child can lie down or be in a semi-upwards position. It works with Isofix (Latch) or without:

It goes in side-ways so no problem legspace. The only question is would it fit with a second rear seat next to it. In most cars it would (it takes the space of one seat + center seat). In A5 it might be tight, but probably doable.

The sleeper slightly rolls (upwards) in a collision in a way that the child's back faces the front and thus lateral forces would at least seem to be controlled in a safe fashion. Don't know how this concept compares with rear facing seats (might even be safer, who knows?), but I'm guessing it is safer for a baby than a front facing seat would be.

You might need some towels to make sure it is firmly planted in the middle... plus, you don't scratch the rear center console..
BTW: Euro-spec doesn't have a console on the rear seat.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
BTW: Euro-spec doesn't have a console on the rear seat.
That's correct for the Euro spec A5. However, all S5s (regardless of market) do have a center console in the rear seat. Just wanted to clarify that.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Interesting, thanks, didn't know that. (Anyway, the original poster had Euro A5.) Does anyone know why the center console is there in S5? I thought it was in U.S. for some liability reasons or somesuch.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Interesdting, thanks, didn't know that. (Anyway, the original poster had Euro A5.) Does anyone know why the center console is there in S5? I thought it was in U.S. for some liability reasons or somesuch.
My kids use it to dump doritos or set their sticky lollipops on.... playground sand from school after dumping it from their shoes (that one kills me).

How about a place for adult passengers to put there head so they can sit back there. Though my midget friends find the console very useful.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
:) Well, better in the console than on the seats (the sticky lollipops that is). Or is it carpeted inside?

Anyhoo, I always thought it was included in the U.S. version of A5/S5 so that no third person can sit on the back seat. U.S. cars seem to get all sorts of precautionary measures missing in Europe (although we have our own stuff like extensive seat belt chimes etc., so it evens out I'm sure).

In Europe (at least A5 that is), theoretically a third person could sit in the back. It would be tight and no seat belt (and illegal in many places I'm sure), but you wouldn't have to sit on anyones lollipops. :)

·
Registered
714 Posts
I find that the cargo net that comes with the storage pack acts as a very effective child restraint. I get a very annoying bumping from the boot when going around corners if I don't fasten my 4 year old down securely.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.