Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I get alot of brake shudder after 2 x heavy stamps from 70/80 .. after that my brakes are shot. Normal driving is fine, I don't want to buy discs if I don't have to but if they are warped I will. Is this possibly brake fluid too hot? Or discs warped?
Has anyone had this similar situation?
I drive a 3.0 tdi 2012
Cheers

·
Registered
689 Posts
You might just be getting ready for some new pads or maybe some better quality ones. I doubt that the discs are warped as you'd probably feel pulsing through the pedal every time the brakes are applied.
The fluid should be changed every couple of years anyway as the boiling point lowers year on year due to being hygroscopic.
If you are on top of the maintenance side of things ie calipers sliding freely, good fluid, good discs and pads it might be worth considering an upgrade.
Remember these are quite heavy cars and some high speed braking quickly gets the brakes very hot.

·
Premium Member
3,266 Posts
Well said Joe, wise words indeed. Usually discs do not warp UNLESS you are racing and or driving and braking from top speed many times in a row. I used to race motorbikes and the biggest problem was boiling the brake fluid which causes the brakes to fade, but never warped brake rotors. My old race R1 produced about 200 horses and went like hell so she sure got thro' pads quickly so hard pads were always required and sintered were the best, as I remember.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for you're advice, I'll get some decent fluid & pads first. Before joining this forum I thought brake fluid was brake fluid...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts