Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I'm in the fortunate position of being ready to factory order a new A5 shortly, and this forum has been invaluable - great site.

I'm still undecided about a few things, mainly whether to go for the S-line or the Sport. I have a few questions about this, and thought this might be the best place to ask! I've checked the other S-line thread to avoid any repetition.

1. The wheel options really p me off. I want the 19" 5 spoke Y design wheels, and don't really like the others. I've seen in another thread that new wheel options may be announced shortly, does anyone know what they will be, and if I order now should I be able to change the wheel option post-ordering?

2. The body kit is the main reason for the s-line, can this be paid for separately if I ordered the Sport, or are there alternate kits in the UK? I've seen one of them which looks a bit boy-racer-ish, would want something close to the genuine s-line kit.

3. Looking at Ice Silver or Quartz Grey. I've seen plenty of positive remarks about the Quartz, but what is general view of Ice Silver? I know its likely to be the most popular which may put some off, but perhaps that's because it looks the best? Was also looking at Monza Silver, although it looks a bit blue/purple on the photos I've seen. Anyone seen it in the flesh and have any opinion?

4. ON the Sport, does the black and grey combo dash look that bad? Its bad that you can't choose an all black dash with the silver seats. Looks like I'm going to have to go for an all black interior!

Any help gratefully received!!

Thanks

·
Registered
953 Posts
Welcome to the site mate! :)

Hi

I'm in the fortunate position of being ready to factory order a new A5 shortly, and this forum has been invaluable - great site.

I'm still undecided about a few things, mainly whether to go for the S-line or the Sport. I have a few questions about this, and thought this might be the best place to ask! I've checked the other S-line thread to avoid any repetition.

1. The wheel options really p me off. I want the 19" 5 spoke Y design wheels, and don't really like the others. I've seen in another thread that new wheel options may be announced shortly, does anyone know what they will be, and if I order now should I be able to change the wheel option post-ordering?
Yes you will be able to change the wheels providing your car has not yet gone into production. Your dealership will tell you the cut off date. No idea on the new wheel options yet as Audi hasn't announced it, not even to the dealers.

2. The body kit is the main reason for the s-line, can this be paid for separately if I ordered the Sport, or are there alternate kits in the UK? I've seen one of them which looks a bit boy-racer-ish, would want something close to the genuine s-line kit.
Yes it can be bought aftermarket for a dealer fit but it is hellishly expensive. It's definitely best to get it factory fitted. The other body kits are a bit meh, in my opinion.

3. Looking at Ice Silver or Quartz Grey. I've seen plenty of positive remarks about the Quartz, but what is general view of Ice Silver? I know its likely to be the most popular which may put some off, but perhaps that's because it looks the best? Was also looking at Monza Silver, although it looks a bit blue/purple on the photos I've seen. Anyone seen it in the flesh and have any opinion?
I've seen Ice Silver in the flesh and it does look good. I've not seen Monza though. Hopefully TXcarguy will be along soon to help you as he is the picture guru here. Might be worth sending him a PM asking him if he has pics, he'll get back to you when he can (sorry for putting you on the spot, TX).

4. ON the Sport, does the black and grey combo dash look that bad? Its bad that you can't choose an all black dash with the silver seats. Looks like I'm going to have to go for an all black interior!
The Sport does look good (RGB will be along shortly also to tell you to buy a Sport not an S-Line, he does that all the time :) ). All black interior is fine. I have it on my S5, it's a bit dark but not that bad.

Any help gratefully received!!

Thanks
Sorry I couldn't give more info. Hopefully others will be able to help where I couldn't.

HRD

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Welcome to the site mate! :)

Yes you will be able to change the wheels providing your car has not yet gone into production. Your dealership will tell you the cut off date. No idea on the new wheel options yet as Audi hasn't announced it, not even to the dealers.

Yes it can be bought aftermarket for a dealer fit but it is hellishly expensive. It's definitely best to get it factory fitted. The other body kits are a bit meh, in my opinion.

I've seen Ice Silver in the flesh and it does look good. I've not seen Monza though. Hopefully TXcarguy will be along soon to help you as he is the picture guru here. Might be worth sending him a PM asking him if he has pics, he'll get back to you when he can (sorry for putting you on the spot, TX).

The Sport does look good (RGB will be along shortly also to tell you to buy a Sport not an S-Line, he does that all the time :) ). All black interior is fine. I have it on my S5, it's a bit dark but not that bad.

Sorry I couldn't give more info. Hopefully others will be able to help where I couldn't.

HRD
Welcome to the site too. Here I am as HRD promised!!!!

For what it's worth my contribution.

If you want lighter interior (good in a coupe) go for the Sport. S-Line is Black only, seats and headlining. Having lived with a silver interior for 3 months II love it) I do think all black could be gloomy (unless its a Cabriolet or you choose a Panoramic roof as we have in our S Line A3 Sportback!) Maybe I could live with it though....

Y spokes are lovely ( only available on Sport !! Aftermarket prices are silly!!) and I am convinced the 19in wheels offer the best compromise between ride comfort and looks.

Colours... folks on here will know I just love PHANTOM BLACK... but there are other reasonable colours too. IMHO I would avoid Meteor (Doom and Gloom) Grey, Daktari Beige, White and Garnet (Alf) Red and DSB and DSG but it's a free world and all a matter of personal choice!! Quartz does look OK as does Silver. IMHO

Good luck

RG:D:D

·
Registered
552 Posts
Welcome to the forum and likewise I will also, hopefully, be ordering a S Line A5 shortly(ish).

Glad you read the UK specific thread on the recently announced S Line option for the A5. The wheel options also failed to do anything for me and became a real bug bear so much so that I went to some length to get the information that I posted in the main S Line thread about further 19" options that will be available at the same time orders are taken for the A5 cabriolet i.e 2 February 2009.

The wheel option that will be added is what is currently the default wheel for the current V10 RS6 albeit in 19" guise (20" on the RS6). Picture of the wheel on a RS6 is attached. This will only available on S Line variants at a cost of £440. This has been the best bit of news because this was precisley the wheel I wanted. I have seen it on a Sepang Blue RS6 in Audi Bexley and I think it looks stunning! In fact I predict that just as the 19" Y spoke has become almost the de facto choice for A5 Sport buyers this wheel will probably be the same for S Line buyers!

Moving on to Sport vs S Line if you want either the Y spokes or a non-black interior strongly enough then a Sport it will have to be otherwise the S Line practically pays for itself by including Xenons/DRL's, black headlining, more valuable alloys as standard (i.e. cheaper to upgrade) amongst other things. Again I can see a high percentage of UK A5 orders being for the S Line variant from now on.

On to colour yesterday we all got slightly over excited about what was the best colour for the A5 but to stop that happening again just order what you like as you've got to live with it. Personally at this stage I will be going Quartz but another member here, A5inreston, has uploaded a gallery of his Daytona Grey Pearl S5 with the RS6 alloys on and if money were no object I would spend the extra £1,000 just to get the Audi Exclusive paint but unfortunately it is.

Anyway good luck with your order which dealer are you using? I have decided that as I will be ordering in February to get the below wheels and the build slot I am likely to get will probably only be 5/6 weeks away from build week 22, which is when 2010 model year is introduced and they will come with rear LED's, so I will wait even longer!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
A balanced post Mactrack very useful.

I think the point you make 'the S Line practically pays for itself ' is relevant because the specs have now changed... V6 Sport is now cheaper as DRL's are an option. The main issue IMHO is about interior colour choice (non on the S-Line) lots on the Sport and Standard model.

As 'HighendGrafter' and I have both said it is a matter of personal choice. For what it's worth my known and trusted local dealer reckons there will be little difference in value when it comes to sell.

Hope this helps.>
RG

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi Bealios

The A5 sport in ice silver and star silver leather is a super combination and set of with the Y wheels. when my dealership took delivery of my car all the sales staff were well impressed with the above choices, with a car like this you need to think out the box and avoid the black leather as every other car has black leather and your A5 is a bit special.

Looks great when you look in the car and it gets a lot of attention when sitting in the car parks.

·
Registered
552 Posts
A balanced post Mactrack very useful.

I think the point you make 'the S Line practically pays for itself ' is relevant because the specs have now changed... V6 Sport is now cheaper as DRL's are an option. The main issue IMHO is about interior colour choice (non on the S-Line) lots on the Sport and Standard model.

As 'HighendGrafter' and I have both said it is a matter of personal choice. For what it's worth my known and trusted local dealer reckons there will be little difference in value when it comes to sell.

Hope this helps.>
RG
A rare compliment indeed! Why thank you.:D

After having just sold my S Line A3 in a private sale one thing I did pick up on was that a lot of potential buyers were clearly only after a S Line A3 simply because of the "look" however as with most optional extras when it comes to resale they don't add value just desirability.

Absolutely nothing wrong with getting a Sport but just get one with a non-black interior and the Y spokes so you do actually differentiate from a S Line.

On a side note I notice that loads of people are ordering heated seats and even many buyers of my A3 were asking whether they were fitted as well. My A3 was cloth/leather and I never once felt the need for heated seats but is this seen as "must have" for an all leather interior? Thanks.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
A rare compliment indeed! Why thank you.:D

My A3 was cloth/leather and I never once felt the need for heated seats but is this seen as "must have" for an all leather interior? Thanks.
I am all for compliments!!

The A/S5 market is somewhat different from the A3 Market!

Certainly A3 S-Line is the way to go because of significant differences in Spec.

In the UK the differences with Sport/S-Line A5 are not so significant and positively restrictive on S-Line models.

So buy the spec /configuration that suits you personally for an A5 IMHO.

Cheers
RG

PS Mactrac you were lucky selling an A3 with Leather/Sprint Fabric seats... a rare and not so popular choice (or so I'm told!):D:D

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Hi Bealios

1 The A5 sport in xxx all the sales staff were well impressed with the above choices, with a car like this you need to think out the box and

2. avoid the black leather as every other car has black leather and your A5 is a bit special.

3.Looks great when you look in the car and it gets a lot of attention when sitting in the car parks.
1. I bet they say that to all their customers.:D
2. Not so, based on a recent survey less than 50% of cars have Black leather!!
3. I don't want lot's of attention sitting in Car Parks...:eek:

·
Registered
552 Posts
I am all for compliments!!

The A/S5 market is somewhat different from the A3 Market!

Certainly A3 S-Line is the way to go because of significant differences in Spec. Not so in the UK with Sport/S-Line. Buy what the spec /configuration that suits you personally for an A5 IMHO.

Cheers
RG

PS Mactrac you were lucky selling an A3 with Leather/Sprint Fabric seats... a rare and not so popular choice (or so I'm told!):D:D
I totally agree regarding different markets for the A3 and A5 we will just have to wait 3 odd years when we come to sell them to see just how badly we are both going to kicked in the wotsits!

Regarding my A3 sale I have to disagree because I sold it the weekend before Christmas for the full asking price and cloth/leather was never an issue. In fact I was called by Autotrader on Thursday afternoon asking me whether I had sold the car, as the advert had expired on 29 December 2008, and I said yes and the guy said thanks for using Autotrader and that was that. However he must of pressed a wrong button or something because my advert has reappeared since, link below, and I have now taken 12 calls from disappointed punters!

Did I undercook the price????

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/cars/AUDI+A3/Ne-2-4-5-6-7-8-27-44-49-53-61-64-67-103-133-146-236,N-51-54-63-69-112-240-4294966334-4294966997/advert.action?R=200901112482704&distance=2&postcode=BR1+2HN&channel=CARS&make=AUDI&model=A3&min_pr=&max_pr=&max_mileage=&vehicleYearOfManufacture=2006&vehicleRegLetter=06

·
Registered
89 Posts
1. I bet they say that to all their customers.:D maybe aye maybe no!!!!:eek:
2. Not so, based on a recent survey less than 50% of cars have Black leather!!take your word for that as i notice from this site that you seem to think you are wise old man!!!!!:confused:
3. I don't want lot's of attention sitting in Car Parks...:eek:
yes you would not know having a black car but then maybe you keep your Audi wrapped in cotton wool!!!!!:D

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
yes you would not know having a black car but then maybe you keep your Audi wrapped in cotton wool!!!!!:D
Not cotton wool but she is well looked after!!:D

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
I think it fair to say we all look after them but remember its only a car, I know if I were to ref to it as She- the wife would have something to say!!!!!:D
Indeed and... by the way not all our cars are Phantom Black!!:D:eek:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Bealios
I recently agonised through the same decision - like you I wanted the 19" Y's and not necessarily a black interior, but on the other hand the s-line body kit does looks great... Anyway, as you can see below, the body kit won the day, and in retrospect I'm quite happy with the s-line 5-spokes as nearly everybody seems to have the Y's. I also went for quartz: I test drove an ice silver and it did look good, but the quartz seems to look different depending on the weather / time of day, which to my mind is a good thing.
I'm sure you'll be happy whatever decision you make, just comes down to what's more important to you: non-back interior or the body kit?
Good luck!

·
Registered
371 Posts
I would get the S line because the body kit. The S line is so much better looking with the S line body but the black interior, better suspension, 19Y rims really complete the sport theme.

Also you asked about Monza in real life, I ordered my S line with monza silver. I was on the fence with quartz or monza. I was worried that monza had too much blue in it. I still ordered monza because it was the special color that not every car could have and it looks great.

I have some high quality pics of my car in many different lighting conditions found here: http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthread.php/audi-a5-s-5488/index.html

and some HD videos of my car found here: http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthread.php/audi-a5-s-5886/index.html

The best video to watch to see what the color looks like during a normal day would be this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-sepIjVJBs

Make sure to click watch in HD.

If I had to order all over I would definitely get monza silver.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Excellent replies, thanks to all, certainly helping to make my mind up.

I think I'm pretty much set on an s-line now, given that the Xenons mean the real cost of this is about £200! Will select the 19" 20 spoke wheels for now, but will ask for the option to change if the package changes to include the RS6 wheels which I prefer. Still undecided on colour - back to the dealer I think for final assessment.

I'm going for a fairly high spec, although I have left out any phone prep altogether - I don't really use it while driving (if its important, they will leave a message!). Any thoughts on how essential a feature this is when it comes to selling in 3 years?

I've managed to get a 8% discount off list price on the factory order so far, is this a good deal in the UK in current market, or should I push for more?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
821 Posts
The way the phone prep integrates with the car is superb imo, well worth the asking price, quite important on resale as well i would of thought !!!

·
Registered
953 Posts
The way the phone prep integrates with the car is superb imo, well worth the asking price, quite important on resale as well i would of thought !!!

I agree.

Although you might not want it, a subsequent buyer might. The reason I say this is because the A5 is a prestige car and so many businessmen want prestige cars with a phone module in them. If you get the Phone Prep Low, it's about £350 or thereabouts and I reckon will make the car more desirable in the long run.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts