Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Looking for coolant bleeding guide for my 2017 RS5 B9 2.9 V6.

Hit a kerb, busted bumper and middle rad. Rad has been replaced but lost most of the coolant from the system. I've topped off the header with approx 1/2 litre which is nowhere near what I lost so it's not flowing through the system.

I'm afraid if I run up to temp I'll do some damage to the engine so looking for some help or guide on coolant bleeding/replacement procedure.

Thanks in advance.

· Registered
1,428 Posts
Proper procedure is to vacuum fill and bleed it. But you need equipment for that. Fill the reservoir tank with the correct mixture and start the engine. As the pump gets to work the reservoir will drop so keep an eye on it and fill as required. When the engine warms up set your heater to max heat so the cabin matrix can circulate the coolant from the engine. Keep an eye on the coolant level and make sure you run the cabin heater as without a proper vac & refill you could end up with a air lock on the system.

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Proper procedure is to vacuum fill and bleed it. But you need equipment for that. Fill the reservoir tank with the correct mixture and start the engine. As the pump gets to work the reservoir will drop so keep an eye on it and fill as required. When the engine warms up set your heater to max heat so the cabin matrix can circulate the coolant from the engine. Keep an eye on the coolant level and make sure you run the cabin heater as without a proper vac & refill you could end up with a air lock on the system.

Thanks for the prompt reply. I read somewhere that there's a procedure that allows use of VCDS but I couldn't find any details on exactly what that process is.

This car has a very complex cooling system with multiple rads mounted front and right center. There's also an additional pump in front of left wheel. VCDS shows fault and says it's running dry. As there's no coolant that's to be expected.

· Registered
1,428 Posts
I know about the extra rads etc on the RS models done a few on the RS6 models. If you want to be 100% safe then get a vac and bleed kit. VCDS wont help filling and venting the rads. The front heat exchangers dont have a vent pin on those iirc

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know about the extra rads etc on the RS models done a few on the RS6 models. If you want to be 100% safe then get a vac and bleed kit. VCDS wont help filling and venting the rads. The front heat exchangers dont have a vent pin on those iirc
Thanks again. I can get hold of a coolant vacuum system no probs. I assume there isn't a "special" Audi one?

Also, do you know where the bleed points are located or do they even exist on these cars?

Thanks.

· Registered
1,428 Posts
The RS6 has one on the heat exchanger on the top but i dont think the RS5 has one. I would suggest you log onto ERWIN audi and download the repair guide for the coolant filling on the RS5. It will give you the procedure and bleed points if any ( just has the usual cabin matrix point at the bulkhead where you pull the pipe off) Print them off as you need. Cost will be Less than £10 for an hour. Peace of mind that you have done it the correct way

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The RS6 has one on the heat exchanger on the top but i dont think the RS5 has one. I would suggest you log onto ERWIN audi and download the repair guide for the coolant filling on the RS5. It will give you the procedure and bleed points if any ( just has the usual cabin matrix point at the bulkhead where you pull the pipe off) Print them off as you need. Cost will be Less than £10 for an hour. Peace of mind that you have done it the correct way
UPDATE :.As recommended by @morski , I paid just over £7 for an hour's access to ERWIN and pulled down the required info. The drain process is very specific to this car as there are 3 places to disconnect pipe work to drain completely.

Now all I need is to get my hands on the vacuum with the correct adapter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.