Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to test drive and buy a 2012 Black Edition Audi A5 Auto 3.0 S-Tronic. The car has done 166k on the clock which I know is high mileage but has full-service history with services every 18k at Audi dealer garage. I have been told that I should ask Audi about the chain but they say its not a serviceable part. Then others say that it should be changed with such high miles. I don't know who to believe or what the costs of a change would be. Any help appreciated or things to ask/look out for appreciated.

·
Sponsor
2,384 Posts
Use your ears, if the chain is rattling then avoid. It can be replaced, but it's thousand to do so. I have a 155k mile 3.0TDI with no chain rattle. Good oil and regular changes should keep it happy.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
As Eamonn says, listen for the rattle. There isn't, as far as I am aware any issues with the chains on the 3.0 tdi engines. If maintained properly, they should last the life of the engine.

Problem engines for chains tend to be the 2.0 petrol. Plus maintenance being skimped on. I've seen a chain replacement on a 30k miles VW Eos, but the oil drained off was thick and dubious as whether it had ever been changed!

At services, give it an oil flush too, this helps keep the links and tensioners free of gunk and allows the oil to flow better protecting the parts. I would also change the oil sooner than 18k miles. Probably 10k miles using the Castrol Edge FST oil.

The other thing to look at, is the gearbox services, should be every 35-40k miles. The S-tronic box upto to around 2013 can suffer from some common problems, like sensors, mechatronic valves and the gear selector forks. There are fixes, so I would think at that miles, if it was going to have any of the S-Tronic issues, then they would have been rectified with the updated parts by now.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Around what mileage would you expect to have to replace the 3.0 TDi water pump- it's been flagged up a few times on here, but I'm not sure if its a given that it will def need to be replaced- or if a flush service might prevent having to do it, as it's quite a long job I think?

·
Sponsor
2,384 Posts
Around what mileage would you expect to have to replace the 3.0 TDi water pump- it's been flagged up a few times on here, but I'm not sure if its a given that it will def need to be replaced- or if a flush service might prevent having to do it, as it's quite a long job I think?
Mine is 155k on the original pump. It desperately needs replacing, but it still pumps fine. The pulley itself gets worn out and starts to clack like mad.

It's probably a 3 hour job to replace. I'm meaning to DIY it but I just haven't had the time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts