Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car now a few weeks old but ignition key periodically jamming in ignition when shutting down the engine . I've now tried everything , slow key release , quick release , activating foot brake , activating handbrake . Having to continually reactivate ignition and then deactivate until it finally releases , am I missing something here . Never happened for the last 3 days and then jammed on 5 occasions yesterday, its driving me mad.:confused:
Wish I had gone for advanced key now !!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ignition

Hey Stitcher,

I had the same problem but realized I was pretty much "rushing" the release...

I've found that so long as you keep your foot on the brake, press in, and wait a second or two (foot still on brake), it works every time. It seemed to not work when I would rush (press in, take foot off brake, and try to pull it out in about 1-2 seconds).

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Hey Stitcher,

I had the same problem but realized I was pretty much "rushing" the release...

I've found that so long as you keep your foot on the brake, press in, and wait a second or two (foot still on brake), it works every time. It seemed to not work when I would rush (press in, take foot off brake, and try to pull it out in about 1-2 seconds).
Yep, same here.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
yeah too fast and you have to push in again then again to release... its annoying and thats why i keep my key in my bag saves any problems in the release and my blood pressure!!!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks all for replies , I'll give it a try. Thats the beauty of this forum , 4 replies within 2 hours , how brilliant is that !!

·
Registered
821 Posts
Same here... What worked for me was putting the key in Silver side towards the Steering wheel for a couple of weeks... then roughly alternating which way you put the key in... seems to have evened out the wear on the plastic retaining lugs :)

Doesn't happen at all now

deano

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
yeah too fast and you have to push in again then again to release... its annoying and thats why i keep my key in my bag saves any problems in the release and my blood pressure!!!
sorry i just read my reply and read incorrectly sounds wrong!

·
Registered
636 Posts
sorry i just read my reply and read incorrectly sounds wrong!
I was desperate to post something when I read the first sentance , but thought I best not. :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Happens to me occasionally, I always thought it was because I didn't push the key in enough to turn the engine off (same thing as rushing in a way).

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks , thats done the trick , basically me being too impatient. Hopefully no more key issues.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Apparently there is a TSB out for this issue. See this post.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.