Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi i have Audi a5 sportback with suspension 1BE ( 20 mm lower from factory )
I have contacted h&r and they are saying that im not going to see a difference on height with h&r oe sport, Also i Will need h&r sport springs to see a difference approx 15mm
Is this right?
I live in Sweden

·
Registered
112 Posts
KW do a spring and perch system that you can use with factory struts, that let's you manually adjust, I believe these go as low as 40mm.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I also have a sportback on 1BE, put eibach -25mm on it. Thought it would make little difference because s-line is quoted at -20mm but talking to other people who lowered it -25mm they said it still made a difference. Glad I did it! The rear end especially closed the wheel gap quite nicely.

Had to change my dampers to the sport dampers though as the ride was uncomfortable on the stock ones - not sure if mine were due for replacement anyway.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also have a sportback on 1BE, put eibach -25mm on it. Thought it would make little difference because s-line is quoted at -20mm but talking to other people who lowered it -25mm they said it still made a difference. Glad I did it! The rear end especially closed the wheel gap quite nicely.

Had to change my dampers to the sport dampers though as the ride was uncomfortable on the stock ones - not sure if mine were due for replacement anyway.
Glad to hear that you are happy with it! And that information really helps me.
How much km has your dampers gone when it was time to change and how do you feel it was time? And which sport dampers are you using now?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Glad to hear that you are happy with it! And that information really helps me.
How much km has your dampers gone when it was time to change and how do you feel it was time? And which sport dampers are you using now?
It had 105,000k km on it. Just over speed bumps after changing springs it felt very harsh. I put on Bilstein B8 Sport dampers as I found someone selling them for a good price near me and now the ride is similar to how it was on the stock S-Line springs.

Here are some pictures of other people putting on -25mm springs over the stock S-line setup too which helped sway my decision: A5 Sportback mit 25mm Eibach Federn ... Bilder ?

Hope that helps! I thought the same as you that if I dropped it 25mm there would only be a 5mm difference but I think Audi overquotes their spring drop rates. The German forums only quote a 10mm drop from factory as well I think rather than the 20mm said on here.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
It had 105,000k km on it. Just over speed bumps after changing springs it felt very harsh. I put on Bilstein B8 Sport dampers as I found someone selling them for a good price near me and now the ride is similar to how it was on the stock S-Line springs.

Here are some pictures of other people putting on -25mm springs over the stock S-line setup too which helped sway my decision: A5 Sportback mit 25mm Eibach Federn ... Bilder ?

Hope that helps! I thought the same as you that if I dropped it 25mm there would only be a 5mm difference but I think Audi overquotes their spring drop rates. The German forums only quote a 10mm drop from factory as well I think rather than the 20mm said on here.
Good to hear! I think lm gonna Give eibach a try! Have you Done a alignment? Do you se some tyre wear or something bad?
What size if tyre do you have? You have a picture? :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yep, alignment after lowering. Front camber is -1.5 to -2.0 so a little bit of camber - you don't need adjustable control arms if you're only dropping 25mm but if you're going H&R sport 35mm you will probably need to change your control arms too.

I only lowered it last month so haven't had enough time to check for tyre wear yet.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep, alignment after lowering. Front camber is -1.5 to -2.0 so a little bit of camber - you don't need adjustable control arms if you're only dropping 25mm but if you're going H&R sport 35mm you will probably need to change your control arms too.

I only lowered it last month so haven't had enough time to check for tyre wear yet.
Appreciate the answers! Okay then i Will do a alignment (y)
Hope its going to be fine for you with the tyre wear maybe its going to take a year to see if its some bad tyre wear. Really glad to hear that i dont need the expansive damn arms and Hope my upper arms is going to be okay when mount the Bolt of ( which is holding them 2 together in the front ) i understand

·
Registered
98 Posts
How did you black out your window trim? I am think of doing that?

My upper control arm bolts came out very easy - I am lucky in Australia it does not snow so we do not need to salt our roads here so makes it easier to take out.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How did you black out your window trim? I am think of doing that?

My upper control arm bolts came out very easy - I am lucky in Australia it does not snow so we do not need to salt our roads here so makes it easier to take out.
Its glossy black wrap, a company who make tint/wraps made it for me. Aah i see, here in Sweden the roads have salt on every winter

·
Registered
36 Posts
KWHAS...can't go wrong. I'm nearly tucked on 20 series Michelin ps4s in 20 inch wheels. Honestly I need to raise it just a tad so I quit dragging it across everything but it looks exactly how I want and I have the same flexability as someone with coilovers, half the cost, top notch quality and I don't lose any of my factory suspension settings like you will on coilovers. Roughly spent $750-800 usd. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hey Denniza, 275/30/20 are my tyres. I had the 19" rotors like yours from factory but upgraded to 20" shortly after I got it. Didn't get a chance to take photos today - hopefully tomorrow!

No issues over speed bumps!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
KWHAS...can't go wrong. I'm nearly tucked on 20 series Michelin ps4s in 20 inch wheels. Honestly I need to raise it just a tad so I quit dragging it across everything but it looks exactly how I want and I have the same flexability as someone with coilovers, half the cost, top notch quality and I don't lose any of my factory suspension settings like you will on coilovers. Roughly spent $750-800 usd. Just my 2 cents
Hmm not bad but still a bit pricy, and going to be more pricy for me because om changing front and rear shocks with oem sachs 😅 but nice to hear anyway

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Hey Denniza, 275/30/20 are my tyres. I had the 19" rotors like yours from factory but upgraded to 20" shortly after I got it. Didn't get a chance to take photos today - hopefully tomorrow!

No issues over speed bumps!
Yeah nice but it your car is 10 mm higher with 20 inch i think:unsure: thanks anyway, glad that someone paying attention and want to help me about those damn lowering springs haha you wont Belive 6-8 months about doing this and ordered springs and shocks 3 Times but dont go to post Office to get it because i wasn’t sure about. But now i think i have guts to do it. Didnt know what happened to people that had lowered their cars with eibach PRO kit or h&r oe sports because no one answer. Should i write a book about a overthinking Audi owner?:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hmm not bad but still a bit pricy, and going to be more pricy for me because om changing front and rear shocks with oem sachs 😅 but nice to hear anyway
Hey I hear ya. This car has me going without eating for weeks on end and selling my body to pay the rent so I understand. I didn't catch the year model you had but idk how many times you've replaced your suspension throughout your life on any vehicles but something I learned long ago that really really made all the difference in the world equally as much as the springs was when you do go through with any set up replace your rubber strut mounts that sit on top. I assure you the factory ones are pancaked. 034 motorsports has some for $33 so it's cheap and to me is half the mod when doing suspension. That part anyhow. Car went from driving like shit on new springs to better than any other day I've driven it all for $33 USD. Definitely do yourself that favor. I'd replace them even if they looked ok because they will wear and you'll have to completly remove and uninstall your set up down the road just to out in a $30 part. Oh yeah and I've seen used KWHAS. For as little (relatively speaking) $575 in the audizine forums so you can find them occasionally.id actually sell you mine at a big discount I'm getting ready to part with it but it literally cost more to remove it x2 than they actually cost. I was quoted anyhow. Unfortunately they'll be staying with the car but yeah if it comes up for the right price there many pluses to them. And lastly I've seen 1 other company now , a reputable one that also made adjustable coils. Can't recall who but I'm sure googke does. They were cheaper as well.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yeah nice but it your car is 10 mm higher with 20 inch i think:unsure: thanks anyway, glad that someone paying attention and want to help me about those damn lowering springs haha you wont Belive 6-8 months about doing this and ordered springs and shocks 3 Times but dont go to post Office to get it because i wasn’t sure about. But now i think i have guts to do it. Didnt know what happened to people that had lowered their cars with eibach PRO kit or h&r oe sports because no one answer. Should i write a book about a overthinking Audi owner?:ROFLMAO:
Is your stock tyre size 255/35/19? That’s the equivalent to my 275/30/20 rolling diameter so would lower the same amount.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts