Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just posting to say hi... come across from RS246.com.

Just wanted to see if my avatar and sig have come through...

Look forward to speaking to you guys

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi crespo...

2 reasons really... love the Carrera but my mileage is climbing from 15K a year to 30K a year and am getting bored of filling up twice a week. Also the facelift 997 is now almost upon us. Will go back to Porsche again but for the time being need something that can provide grin factor, love to sit and look at factor as well as do 500 miles a tank...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Was very very tempted by the S5 and took a long time to decide. In the end I did a back to back road test of both (driving each car twice) and found that once I was on the move the A5 was more comfortable and strangely enough more drivable. Also, given most of my mileage is fast A roads and Motorway the A5 seemed just as quick, more progressive whilst being half the fuel cost. I would love to see the in car acceleration times from say 50mph to 100mph for the two (using the gears to best effect for both cars, rather than in say 4th gear).

The A5 diesel will also be easier to map and obtain a further 40 - 50 bhp and lb/ft torque (making it probably quicker that the S5 from 40mph upwards... would like to hear from anyone who has done this yet).

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What are you driving Crespo?

·
Registered
643 Posts
Currently driving a 3.0i X5. No order in yet, but expecting to put an order in for a 3.2q A5 as soon as they're available to order here.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess we're lucky here in the UK being close to Germany and having a larger market. The 3.2 engine is a beaut though. Only tried it in an A3, but god does it rev... loads of power up top (just like a V6 should be)...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Early-mid March... ordered it on 3rd Dec just before the price increase. Have you got your S5 yet. PS: Rutland... oh the days on Rutland Water...

·
Registered
276 Posts
Was very very tempted by the S5 and took a long time to decide. In the end I did a back to back road test of both (driving each car twice) and found that once I was on the move the A5 was more comfortable and strangely enough more drivable. Also, given most of my mileage is fast A roads and Motorway the A5 seemed just as quick, more progressive whilst being half the fuel cost. I would love to see the in car acceleration times from say 50mph to 100mph for the two (using the gears to best effect for both cars, rather than in say 4th gear).

The A5 diesel will also be easier to map and obtain a further 40 - 50 bhp and lb/ft torque (making it probably quicker that the S5 from 40mph upwards... would like to hear from anyone who has done this yet).
Interesting to hear your comments A5/S5 as I did the same. But I much preferred the S5 torque delivery, it's so instant. I found the A5 TDi very peaky, great from 2-4000 revs but otherwise the S5 wins all the way. Having had a turbo for 5 years its so responsive. I just leave it in 6th most of the time and that you cant do in the TDi.
I agree with the mpg thing though, if youre doing more than 15-20k a year then the diesel makes sense but no way is it as quick to drive.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Welcome to the A5OC family AntRS6

I'm very interested to see you switched from the Carrera S to A5 TDI. You set the benckmark high with the Porsche, so it's great to see the A5 3.0TDi satisfied your requirements. That is quite a compliment for the A5 !

I've tested the S5 a few times but not the 3.0 TDi. Now I am super-keen to test it :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bryce... left you a long PM, hopefully this might give you more info on my thoughts.

Chris... I know what you're saying about the torque of the V8, it is instant and you don't have to change gear all the time to access it. I drove my S4 around in 4th gear nearly all day long (just like that Top Gear test that Clarkson did in the Aston). But, I quite like the surge feeling you get with turbo and cammy engined cars, that's just me however and I'm not saying one is better than the other. I agree that the S5 is probably still the ever so slightly quicker from 50mph - 100mph than the stock 3.0tdi, but with the diesel remapped (MTM) and pulling all the way to the redline rather than its 2.5K rev powerband, hmm... I think the diesel might take it. We ought to look at this when we all manage a meet when some cars have been modified to see if my hunch has any value to it...

·
Registered
276 Posts
Bryce... left you a long PM, hopefully this might give you more info on my thoughts.

Chris... I know what you're saying about the torque of the V8, it is instant and you don't have to change gear all the time to access it. I drove my S4 around in 4th gear nearly all day long (just like that Top Gear test that Clarkson did in the Aston). But, I quite like the surge feeling you get with turbo and cammy engined cars, that's just me however and I'm not saying one is better than the other. I agree that the S5 is probably still the ever so slightly quicker from 50mph - 100mph than the stock 3.0tdi, but with the diesel remapped (MTM) and pulling all the way to the redline rather than its 2.5K rev powerband, hmm... I think the diesel might take it. We ought to look at this when we all manage a meet when some cars have been modified to see if my hunch has any value to it...
Yes, the 3.0 TDi is very punchy when the turbo is working, but off turbo its rather limp and I found it couldn't take 5th or 6th gear at anywhere like S5 speeds. I did find the power band very narrow, like the 170 TDi VW engine and you have to adjust your driving style to get the best out of it.
Having got a few miles on the S5 I find its response even better and overtaking is just a sqeeze in 6th most of the time. It does seem to have some cammyness above 2000 and then it really flies.
Who knows about the 50-100 time but it is a dream to drive.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I also choose the A5 3.0 TDI over the S5, and it was not for financial reasons. I found the 3.0 very comfortable to drive, more economical (specially because in drive a lot in town), and still very punchy at all speeds. I have a daily confirmation of that since I got my car last Wednesday, although I try not to push it too much at the beginning.

I cannot say it's better than a S5. It's different, it's certainly not limp. I think every driver should try both and see what is best for their driving style. What I can say is that I didn't adapt my own driving style (which can be quite aggressive at times) to adapt to the 3.0 TDI engine.

I am thinking about remapping maybe one day, but for the time being I am happy enough with the car's performance. This is not to say one car is better than the other, just that I happy not to be the only "fool" here who preferred the A5 over the S5 :D

·
Registered
276 Posts
I also choose the A5 3.0 TDI over the S5, and it was not for financial reasons... It's different, it's certainly not limp. I think every driver should try both and see what is best for their driving style. This is not to say one car is better than the other, just that I happy not to be the only "fool" here who preferred the A5 over the S5 :D
I am just giving my views on the A5 v's S5, not slagging it off. :confused:
I didn't say anything about "being the only fool" so don't take my comments the wrong way as you seem to have.:)

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Cammy was refered to by AntRS6 initially, I'm sure as an engineer you know what I mean:)
AH! Now I see the context, I understand. That surge when the valve timing hits the sweet spot! Especially noticible in VVT type cars.

At first I thought you guys were referring to cam noise!

Doh! :D

1 - 20 of 38 Posts