Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, recently purchased a used Audi A5 2.0 TFSi. Generally happy with it but have a question about the power steering. It seems to be much heavier than I would expect. I have checked tyre pressures and they are correct, and power steering fluid seems to be full and clean. Can’t hear any odd noises from the steering either. Is the steering typically quite heavy on these cars, or is this unusual? Wheels are 18’’ factory alloys with Pirelli 245/40 ZR 18 tyres in good condition.

Thoughts?

Many thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
In my experience it depends what you're coming from.
I had a Saab 93 which had the lightest steering I'd ever used. It felt quite disconcerting coming from a seat Leon cupra, almost like I was aquaplaning or something!

My wife came from a VW Passat and didn't notice any difference.

My s5's steering weight feels adaptive. Light when doing a 3 point turn, heavier when driving.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In my experience it depends what you're coming from.
I had a Saab 93 which had the lightest steering I'd ever used. It felt quite disconcerting coming from a seat Leon cupra, almost like I was aquaplaning or something!

My wife came from a VW Passat and didn't notice any difference.

My s5's steering weight feels adaptive. Light when doing a 3 point turn, heavier when driving.
Thanks Doug, its subjective for sure but definitely not light on 3 point turns. I’ve spent the last couple of hours digging through some older threads on here (didn’t see them when I originally searched before posting). These seen to suggest that this is common on some models, notably Pre FL cars below 190ps which did not come with servotronic and were heavy. See below.

https://www.a5oc.com/threads/heavy-steering-on-2-0tdi-s-line.20248/

Seems I’ll be skipping arm day at the gym from here on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Hehe indeed. My A5 was light to park and then firmed up. You can always put a bit more air in the front tyres methinks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts