Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How does the Audi headlight washers work? On my 3 MBs there is a button next to the headlight switch that sprays even if the headights are off. My dealer is providing me with an '08 Audi A6 S-Line as a loaner as my S5 won't arrive until March-May of '08 and was wondering how they work. When I spray the windshield wiper on the A6, the headlight washer's sprays and other times it doesn't. BTW...having the A6 for a week now and it's a nice ride. :cool:

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
How does the Audi headlight washers work? On my 3 MBs there is a button next to the headlight switch that sprays even if the headights are off. My dealer is providing me with an '08 Audi A6 S-Line as a loaner as my S5 won't arrive until March-May of '08 and was wondering how they work. When I spray the windshield wiper on the A6, the headlight washer's sprays and other times it doesn't. BTW...having the A6 for a week now and it's a nice ride. :cool:
There isn't a separate button to wash the lights. If you use the manual windshield wiper wipers for longer than 3 seconds, the headlight washers will activate....

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I have found the windscreen washers work only at night (when the satnav has switched to night mode and lights are on). It doesnt need 3 seconds on mine. You can tell it is doing it when the lights are on as you can see the splashing over the light and it effects the intensity of the lights.

The difference in sizzle's experience and mine could be down to different software or different locations (leading to different software). Just like the LEDs dimming on indicator use is different with early cars and later ones.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I haven't checked on mine, but on my previous audi, you get the headlight wash if you pull the wash function just as the lights come on, or if you use it when you are in full beam.....

·
Registered
128 Posts
It works like this:-
Operate the windscreen wash as normal.
If you hold the wash on for less than 3-seconds then only the windscren gets washed.
Hold the button on for more than 3-seconds and if the lights are ON then they get sprayed too. If the lights are off, then again only the windscreen gets wet.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Mines seems to be similar to doubledoom's - the headlight washers only work when the headlights are on. They'll be activated even if I pull the stock for less than three seconds.

Another thing I noticed is that if you try it more than once, it won't activate the headlight washers .... there seems to be a set time delay between each headlight wash for some reason???

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
It works like this:-
Operate the windscreen wash as normal.
If you hold the wash on for less than 3-seconds then only the windscren gets washed.
Hold the button on for more than 3-seconds and if the lights are ON then they get sprayed too. If the lights are off, then again only the windscreen gets wet.
Yep, thats how mine work. Must be a software thing with the differences....

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have not tested it fully on my S5 but I expect it is the same as the beemers I have had. If the lights are on and you engage the windsreen washer (for any length of time) the lights will be washed also. I will then continue to wash the lights every third windscreen wash during the same journey.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
The headlight washers are activated by the windscreen washers and are only activated if the lights are on as they are not needed in daylight. The first time you use the washers after the lights are swiched on (auto or manually) it will always clean the headlights as well as the windscreen. If you wish to clean the headlights thereafter you must hold the washers for more than 3 seconds. Hope this helps to clear this inconsistancy of answers up for you ;)

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
The headlight washers are activated by the windscreen washers and are only activated if the lights are on as they are not needed in daylight. The first time you use the washers after the lights are swiched on (auto or manually) it will always clean the headlights as well as the windscreen. If you wish to clean the headlights thereafter you must hold the washers for more than 3 seconds. Hope this helps to clear this inconsistancy of answers up for you ;)
That's not how mine work.......;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm fairly sure I read in my manual a few days ago that:
The lights need to be on...
It will wash if you hold the washer for more than 2 seconds...
and - every 5th time you ask for a short blast (with lights on)

I haven't tested it myself yet.

ml

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I will repeat that small differences do seem to occur in different countries and when the car was built.

sizzle, do your LEDs dim when you indicate (only on the side indicating)? Thats another difference.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I will repeat that small differences do seem to occur in different countries and when the car was built.

sizzle, do your LEDs dim when you indicate (only on the side indicating)? Thats another difference.
No, the signal side turns off which I think looks pretty stupid. I barely use turn signals anymore....:D

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
No, the signal side turns off which I think looks pretty stupid. I barely use turn signals anymore....:D
That would make your car a US model then. Most of us on this thread are from UK. We know from other threads that some of us have different software.

·
Registered
225 Posts

Does anyone know if we can change this??

I would like mine to only do the headlights with the 'longer pull' rather than instantly the first time you use when the lights are on... if you forget and you are doing less than 40 mph its just all over the bonnet of the car:mad:

·
Registered
47 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
anyone find out the answer in vag com to disbale... i cant find anything.. i hate it

·
Registered
677 Posts
I'm fairly sure I read in my manual a few days ago that:
The lights need to be on...
It will wash if you hold the washer for more than 2 seconds...
and - every 5th time you ask for a short blast (with lights on)

I haven't tested it myself yet.

ml
It has been over 1 year since I read the manual. However I remember +3 seconds and every 6th time you use the washers.

·
Registered
151 Posts
annoying

Totally messes up your nice clean car. But worse still is the windshield washer. Mine practically sprays onto the roof. I cant use it unless the car is filthy and ready for a wash. If the car is just dusty and I want a quick windshield cleaning, forget it. Total disaster.

Why The Fork do those spray jets need to be like power washers? they only go in one spot so there is no point in all that intensity when the wipers do all the work. Idiotic.

I hate this ALMOST as much as I hate the sensitivity of the side window switches. Another ridiculously simple feature botched.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Why dont you just adjust the alignment on the washers to be lower down?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.