Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have the head up display as I can not find it as a option on a new A5 or is it in a option pack as everyone got a new A5 with it

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Hello mate! I saw one on a BMW 650 that I tried to buy (used of course) but I have not heard of this display on the A5. Anyone???

·
Registered
69 Posts
I did learn recently that a HUD requires a special windshield which is five times the cost of a standard windshield, and it's been a fight with some insurance companies; here in Utard where windshields need to be replaced every few years due to stone chip "frosting", it's not a feature I would want. FWIW.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am about to order a A5 coupe edition 1 with the driver assistance pack tour will it have the head up display .
As the dealer as not got a clue said their was no storage pack available as a option .
But have now found out you can order it

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have a Vorsprung version in UK which basically means it has almost every option ever made included as a factory fit. The HUD is included in my car. Anything specific you want to know about the Heads Up Display?

Not sure the windscreen is any different. The system works from a screen above the instrument cluster facing the sky so out of view normally. You are viewing the reflection from that screen on the windscreen just below eye level.

On the windscreen, you can see the present speed, the speed limit indicator for the street where you are driving, and navigation arrows if the SatNav is directing you. Same info is also simultaneously shown across the instrument cluster LCD so it is not additional information, it only gives you the info at eye level which of course is the purpose of Heads Up Display.

One usage case where HUD would truly be useful would be if you need corrective glasses for driving that are set for distance vision which makes it possible to see the world around you clearly but not read near-sight text like instrument clusters too easily, then the HUD helps you see the info that may otherwise be blurry at short range in the instrument cluster?

One disadvantage for winter is that the screen relies on reflection, so a dirty/fogged inside windscreen will mean poor display if the screen is misty until the car HVAC clears the mist.

Also, the HUD is not always visible when using polarising sunglasses. Polarisers are designed to stop reflections, and the HUD system relies on being able to see reflections.

Hope it helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts