Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

What do you think of the A. Navigation Package?

• Want something done right... Gotta doooo it yourself!

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All! I have every intention of purchasing an A5 in the next six months. The money is saved, colors chosen... there remains one uncomfortable detail. The head unit. This is not a deal breaker for me but a matter of "completeness" going in to buy this vehicle. I am an audio and tech enthusiast and I want to put in my own head unit with GPS capability. I intend to get the B&O system from the factory and after a year or so upgrade the head unit to one that has touchscreen, high fidelity, built in EQ, navigation, etc. I have decided not to spend the extra 2k+ on the audi nav system because of several reasons, not the least of which is price and its expensive (vs. free) upgrade ability. So, the question is this: Can I change the head unit without messing up the MMI system and or pissing off :mad: the car's computer in general? I'm begging anyone who is an owner or who knows the inner workings of the MMI/Audi Symphony systems to offer their advice. It would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
63 Posts
System compatibility.

I believe it will be pretty hard getting something that will be compatible with Audi's MMI.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
So, the question is this: Can I change the head unit without messing up the MMI system and or pissing off :mad: the car's computer in general? I'm begging anyone who is an owner or who knows the inner workings of the MMI/Audi Symphony systems to offer their advice. It would be much appreciated.
You might want to send a PM to forum member '[email protected]' to see what info he can provide. He's completed the Audi Technology course, so he probably has some background knowledge on the feasibility of what you're wanting to do. Also, he mentioned that the AMI/MMI systems use fiber optic cables. See this thread.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
If you do take out the headunit then i'm pretty sure the MMI screen would be reserved for things such as car settings and sat nav only. Of course, every manufacturer will have designed this into their systems, because naturally people want to replace their headunits in time or at some point in the future.

I dont know how it would work with the B&O setup, and if the B&O system only allows for the audi unit to use it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts