Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My TPMS light came out twice in the past three weeks. One of the tires would go from 40psi to below 30psi in 4 days so it triggers the the TPMS. I'm suspecting it might been a nail in the tire so I'm going to let America's Tire check it out on Monday morning.

I'm just wondering if I should be worry about having them patch/plug Z-rated performance tires and 19" wheels? I went to a Goodyear store this afternoon and they won't even touch it. They said their machine will damage the 19" wheel and they can only plug it from outside. However, I want to make sure they patch it from inside as well so I'm going to hold off til America's Tire on Monday. What type of repair does America's Tire do for free?

Thanks for the help!!! :)

dK

·
Registered
120 Posts
My TPMS light came out twice in the past three weeks. One of the tires would go from 40psi to below 30psi in 4 days so it triggers the the TPMS. I'm suspecting it might been a nail in the tire so I'm going to let America's Tire check it out on Monday morning.

I'm just wondering if I should be worry about having them patch/plug Z-rated performance tires and 19" wheels? I went to a Goodyear store this afternoon and they won't even touch it. They said their machine will damage the 19" wheel and they can only plug it from outside. However, I want to make sure they patch it from inside as well so I'm going to hold off til America's Tire on Monday. What type of repair does America's Tire do for free?

Thanks for the help!!! :)

dK

patching a high performance tire = asking to die.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I would have no issue with that. Does your car frequent speeds over 120MPH?

These tires are expensive and in my opinion it is a terrible waste to just throw it out if the the puncture area is very small.

I have plugged and patched all my tires in the past. The patch on the inside worked great for a thicker puncture when the tire shop said they "had" to replace the tire because they took out a 14mm bolt from the meat of the tread.

I even plugged my motorcycle front tire when I got a flat and rode at high speeds without fear.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply. I ended up having a Firestone shop perform patch/plug. Going to keep it this way until I find some 20" wheels =)

·
Registered
18 Posts
just did it yesterday

hi,

I got a screw close to the side. They repair it for $13. However tirew shop do not recommand to do it. Let get figure out why!! so much better to sell a new tire.

Driving in the us is not like on the racing on the authobahn. 80 mph Max then I believe the tire are not so solicited.

My thought.

·
Registered
132 Posts
plug or patch

you are lucky you can plug it at all. In the UK they are no longer legal and instead any repair has to be patched - plus the areas of the tyre that can be repaired are also limited.
19in tyres are over £200 ($300) each in the UK too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts