Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was starting up from a stop, moved a few feet or didn't move at all, and the car just stalled. No rough idle or any other indication that it was going to stall. I simply pressed the start-stop button again, it started right up and I was on my way. But it was a bit disconcerting. I've read a number of things about manual transmissions stalling, but nothing about Tips. Has anyone else experienced this?

I've had the car three months and this has happened to me twice. The odd thing is that both times were immediately after filling up the gas tank and pulling out of the station. Admittedly, the first time it happened the tank was really low -- I was in an unfamiliar place and couldn't find a brand name gas station with premium -- but the second time it still had at least 3/8 of a tank left. (Before I had filled it up, that is!)

Any thoughts or similar experiences?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
83 views and no replies?!!

Has no one else experienced this in their Tip?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I don't know if this counts as a stall, but here is my story:

So I was waiting at a red light, waiting and watching people do that "second look" at my car :) ), anyway, the light turns green, pressed the gas pedal and 2-3 seconds later, my steering wheel locks and my engine shuts off. I don't remember if I accidentally pressed on the start/stop button or not (was distracted with my friends in the car and changing the music on the AMI).... so yeah, I had to start the car again... thank god no one hit me because I was in the middle of the intersection... let me know your thoughts...

·
Registered
3,586 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Audi_WHAZN --
What you described is basically what I experienced. Filled up, left the station, went a few yards and got to a traffic light, stopped, then it stalled either as soon as I started to accelerate from stop or a couple of seconds after (also in the middle of an intersection!). I don't recall the steering wheel locking, but the rest was the same. It can be quite frightening but, like you, fortunately no one hit me.

Just out of curiosity, had you just filled your gas tank when this occurred? I don't know if it was a coincidence that both times it happened to me right after filling up -- or if there might be some connection between the two things. I've filled the tank plenty of other times without this happening, so who knows....:confused:

·
Registered
479 Posts
<< insert sound of furious knocking on wood >>

·
Registered
69 Posts
a5liz... I have been driving for a while when this happen....

·
Registered
479 Posts
UGGG ^^^ this just happened to me today. Filled up tank from when almost empty, left station, went to make a turn, and engine shut off. Started right back up but it sounds like an almost identical story to the above few.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As noted above, mine is a Tip. I always use 91 octane (would use 93 but I can't find any).

I haven't called the dealer yet but I plan to on Monday. Needless to say, this is potentially dangerous. I'm amazed no one has rear-ended me yet, or worse. Just lucky, I suppose.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Mine is tip, yes, and I run 91 octane gas (that's the best we can get here in California)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mine hasn't stalled yet but it lurched. I braked to a complete stop at a light then it lurched quite abruptly when I lifted the brake pedal. It felt like it was about to stall.

On another note, when I was trying to set off from stationery, I felt that the first 1/2 to 3/4 inch down the gas pedal wasn't doing much work. I really had to pump the pedal down. Wondering if any of you guys feel the same way.

·
Registered
58 Posts
This happened to me as well and after filling the tank with gas, as soon as the light turned green I pressed on the gas and the car stalled. minutes later the car was overheating. Took it to the delaer the next day and there were no issues at all. A day later it happened again when pulling into my drive way but the engine did not overheat so i took it back to the dealer and now im waiting. If they couldnt find the cause of the problem im getting rid of the car cause it is a major hazard to stall anytime anywhere.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just out of curiosity for those who had this happen after just filling up. Did you have your car running while you were filling the tank, or was it turned off? I'm wondering if it could be a vapor lock issue, especially if you were low on fuel when you were filling up.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yes my engine was running during the filling, i also read on some post that there was a recall on the fuel pressure sensor or something like that. Could be related to this.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
To answer your question, I did not have my engine running while filling the gas tank (I never do -- isn't that dangerous?!!). Also, I never experienced overheating along with the stalling.

Since I was the person who started this thread, I suppose I should provide an update. Last November I finally mentioned this problem to my dealer. The service advisor didn't seem surprised and said that a software update should eliminate the problem. They did the update and, sure enough, some 10+ months and 6,000 miles later I have never experienced the stalling again. The two updates I had done at that time were CN Campaign (per RVU 2018107/1) and CT Campaign (per RVU 2019059/3). I'm not sure which one corrected the problem.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I got my car back today and the dealer mentioned he performed a software update. Strange enough when i asked them the other day they said there are no software updates.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hello, have you guys had any other solutions or problems like described?

Mine is 2009 3.0tdi tip 6-sp. Happened just suddenly few months ago, then afther that 2 weeks again. Now it lurches almost every morning when car is cold. It stalls just sometimes. When you drive 500m between streets, its ok and not doing it anymore, only when engine is cold afther night. Gearbox oil changed, software updated, still same issue.

1 - 19 of 25 Posts