Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After getting the idea to hardwire my V1 into my car with a remote display in the rear view mirror and the Auto Hill Hold (AHH) button as a mute switch from Audizine's Neptunesfinest in his thread Idea for Stealth Radar Detector Install With Mute Button LED, I began my two-week installation ordeal. I ran the wires from the mirror and the main unit down the passenger side A-pillar and connected the main unit to V1's direct-wire power adapter. From the AHH button, I connected a ground wire to pin 10 and ran a wire from pin 12 to a 4.7k ohm resistor (as per Rick Dickerson @ V1's instruction) and connected it to another phone line which I ran down behind the glove box. Not wanting to cut into the rear view mirrors telephone line, I got a telephone line connector so I could solder the mute wire from pin 12 onto a short length of telephone wire. I then connected the soldered wire into the accessory port of the direct-wire adapter, grounded the entire cable to another ground, and it worked. Granted I had major help from my Audi technician friend Don, a couple of Audizine members: Neptunesfinest & Chichum, Scott Wheeler @ Radar-Mirror.com, and last but not least Ron at V1 - who sent the pin diagrams of all the V1 units. During this process I had to ensure the same colored wires were connected and plugged into the correct port to ensure everything worked as it should. This was a tough install because the glove box had to be taken out to get the wiring run properly. Luckily, my friend is an Audi tech of 10 years and is quite knowledgeable around the car. Here are the completed pics of the install.

The location of the V1 Main Unit in relation to the rear view mirror

The V1 and Remote Display at start-up

Remote display at start-up

Auto Hill Hold button installed

If anyone is thinking about doing the same install, please feel free to drop me a line should you have any questions.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Here's a step by step of the splicing of the two telephone lines so that anyone attempting this can get a better idea of what the heck I was talking about in the first post.

Step 1 - Pull the sheath back to expose the yellow wire.

Step 2 - Use the soldering iron to burn away the plastic yellow covering to expose the actual wire.

Step 3 - Put solder on both of the expose wires so all you have to do to join them is hold the wires together and heat up the area with the soldering iron.

Step 4 - Crimp a Butt Connector to the green wire and attach it to a ground connection.

Step 5a - Apply electrical tape around both wires to ease the stress on the soldered wires since that connection is really the only thing holding the wires together.

Step 5b - Apply electrical tape around the wires to cover and secure the ground connector as well.

Step 5 - Completed tape job

Notes: You'll see that the modular telephone plugs are inverted. I say "inverted" in that the detents on the bottom are 180 degree opposites. This ensures that the yellow line from the remote display (which is the mute) remains on the same side throughout the procedure through the connection of these spliced wires between the telephone inline coupler and the Direct-wire power adapter. The pins into the direct-wire adapter have the mute on the right-most wire of the telephone line with the telephone plug detent on the bottom. Inverting the plugs ensures that when everything is plugged in together, the yellow line from the AHH and the yellow line from the remote display stays on the right and is able to control the mute when plugging everything together. All in all, it was a tedious job because you have to maintain control of the wiring order and that required an extreme amount of an attention to detail which took about a total of 6-7 hours to do (from start to finish). Again, I hope this helps anyone should they choose to try this mod. I am also attaching a schematic of the connections to help anyone picture this mod before attempting to do it.

Refer to post #26 of Neptunesfinest thread to see the pinouts of the AHH switch.

·
Registered
198 Posts
What model Audi? I tried to use a windshield mount V1 in my 2010 S5 cab and the front antenna seemed not to be working. I called Valentine and was informed that the Audi windshield coating on my S5 interferes with the front antenna performance.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I have the coupe. I wonder if the windshield is like the Porsche windshield in that there is a section that is not coated for the EZ passes and detectors in the top center of the windshield.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts