Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 8 Posts

· Registered
435 Posts
It has to do with two things:

1. The speed at which you release the clutch. It must be very smooth, otherwise, it thinks you slipped.

More likely:
2. If you depress the clutch to start the car, and release the clutch (when you left it in gear, or put it in gear then) it will say no. Safety first on this one, and protection for your cars drivetrain.

Also, if #2 is the case, you have an expensive toy, and though we are all in a rush, slow down for a few seconds and let the car idle with the car in neutral with the clutch released. Five seconds can make a big difference. Take this time to take a deep breath and enjoy the feeling of your sweet ride. The amount of wear you will prevent is astounding. (not that I am not guilty of the quick engagement from time to time)

· Registered
435 Posts
I just realized you have an automatic, do you sometimes get in the car and throw it into drive while the brake is still depressed from when you started car? I think the auto release looks for two motions... One brake depress and release to start the car, and another depress/release to put the car in gear.
This is just a guess based on how mine behaves with the manual. Also makes sense, because you could accidently power the car off in gear.

Also, same note about drivetrain preservation comes into play here. If your car is moving before it has run for at least 5-10 seconds in neutral you are drastically reducing the overall life of your engine/transmission. Even if it is a lease, have a little respect for the engineering...

1 - 2 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.