Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The only thing i have stuggled with is the handbrake, suggest when you get the car do two things

Read the manual especilly the hand brake section

Find a quiet spot and try some hill starts

all to easy to roll backward as i found having parked in a sloping car park with my back end a foot off an armaco ( may be i am slow coming back to manual after an auto perhaps i should get the assist fitted??)

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Banjo - good advice! I found it a bit strange the couple of times I drove a demonstrator TDi, but neither of them had the hill hold fitted.
Hope you didn't prang the rear of your lovely new motor - a travesty to ruin such a beautiful rear!

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
I've found the handbrake quite good actually. Although, I think the one strange things is how easy it is to stall the 3.0TDI when coming off the handbrake on a hill... especially for a diesel.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I am now finding the handbrake Ok - but it's taken a bit of getting used to. I absolutely agree with the comments above. Definitly have practice on a hill in a quiet location. I had a scary start - rolling backwards on a hill start. I have also stalled it a few times in the process as well as when setting off (see below). I have a habit (which I didn't know about before I got this car) of
a) starting the engine
b) putting the car in first gear
c) putting seat belt on
d) setting off
Of course in this car you cannot do this because the handbrake won't release.
Got used to putting seat belt on first now - most of the time!!!!.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Useful thread this.
I found myself on a steep hill start and having used the handbrake in order to release it I had to press the brake pedal whereupon it was really difficult to balance the car on the throttle and it stalled. Got it OK the second time.
I told my dealer that I should have used Hill Start Assist but he tells me I should have just pulled away with the handbrake on, as per the manual as it auto releases. As you say it pays to read the manual on this.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
I am now finding the handbrake Ok - but it's taken a bit of getting used to. I absolutely agree with the comments above. Definitly have practice on a hill in a quiet location. I had a scary start - rolling backwards on a hill start. I have also stalled it a few times in the process as well as when setting off (see below). I have a habit (which I didn't know about before I got this car) of
a) starting the engine
b) putting the car in first gear
c) putting seat belt on
d) setting off
Of course in this car you cannot do this because the handbrake won't release.
Got used to putting seat belt on first now - most of the time!!!!.
Hmm... mines will still release the handbrake if I do exactly what you said there.

I think we're seeing differences constantly on here between all of our cars. Seems to be some different software versions out there.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I don't get the hill start function ??? Whats does it do ? If you apply the brake on a hill it releases once it senses there is enough torque to pull away without stalling or rolling backwards - fine with that, no probs but if you switch on the hill hold function, the car is horrible to drive in traffic, it comes on too soon and judders to a halt and snatches as you pull away. Maybe I'm missing the point but I just don't use Hill Hold function anymore. My neighbour has just taken delivery of a new Renault Laguna, nicer than you'd imagine, his brake comes on automatically when he switches off the engine, the Audi should do this as its so easy to forget. Also his car locks automatically as he walks away from it whereas with the Advanced Key option on the S5 you have to touch the button on the door or press the remote. Bit embarassing explaining that my car isn't as clever as his :rolleyes: I joked about how his car would spend more time off the road with tech probs but he had the last laugh when I told him mine might be off the road for 7/8 weeks while Audi find me a new wheel !! And his Sat Nav is better than mine :(

·
Registered
128 Posts
Blade, I'm with you all the way there. Hill hold, SatNav and retarded, sorry I mean, advanced key are not as good as you find with other brands.

All I need now is to find someone else who finds the S5's seats unbearably uncomfortable and I could reopen the 'Most frustrating car i've ever owned' thread. :p :eek: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
NO CHAS !!!!!! Let that thread go will ya ! :D I like the advanced key and love the push button start, just saying the system is old gen now. And how can you find the seats uncomfortable ?? They're fantastic !! Ok am a bit frustrated right now but thats more to do with needing a new wheel. Nav system works fine and easy to operate just not as pretty as the new Laguna's, that has stars and clouds in the sky on 3D view at night !!!;)

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I love the hill hold. I would suggest anyone who has run an automatic for a while to have it. It only comes on if you get to zero and have the foot brake on.

Only bad thing about it is that you have to set it manually each time you start the engine. If you forget you start rolling backwards the first time you need it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Quote "You can release the hand brake without seat belt if you press the footbrake"
- N[/I]obody

Fully agree with you "Nobody". But try it on a steepish hill! - you roll backwards by the time you have transfered your foot to the accelerator and balanced your clutch!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I love my new car.
I would not swap it
BUT -This electronic handbrake system is far INFERIOR to the Renault system. I have used a Renault automatic electronic handbrake system regularly for the last 2 years - on different models -and it is great. This Audi system is neither one system or the other. It's not manual and it's not automatic. It is a half baked system
I repeat "I love the car" overall, and am proud to own it

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello

Mine should arrive in Jan/Feb and I have done for the 2.7 multitronic

Just reading this thread with interest as I have not gone for the Hill assist.

I have a BMW 5 at present and this is standard and really helpfull (its on all the time and stops you from rolling backwards).

Would you need this option if you go for an auto (this is my first auto car) as wouldnt the clutch hold you on a hill anyway?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hello

Mine should arrive in Jan/Feb and I have done for the 2.7 multitronic

Just reading this thread with interest as I have not gone for the Hill assist.

I have a BMW 5 at present and this is standard and really helpfull (its on all the time and stops you from rolling backwards).

Would you need this option if you go for an auto (this is my first auto car) as wouldnt the clutch hold you on a hill anyway?
I have a 2.7TDI Multitronic. Go for the hill assist, its worth it. The fact that it is an autobox is irrelevant.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I had a bit of a scare over the weekend with the handbrake. I was giving my wife her first go at driving the A5. When I stopped the car to change over, I accidently stalled it. I pulled the handbrake switch and could of sworn that the light came on. I got out to let her drive and the car started to roll forwards. Luckily we were in a quiet and relatively flat area. I had to re-start the engine and engage the handbrake. Cant be 100% sure of the exact sequence of events but the result was not something I was expecting. Just a word of caution...

·
Registered
643 Posts
I consider Hill Hold to be a must in this car. Granted, as mentioned in the manual thread I don't have much experience driving manuals, much less off a hill, but I had ZERO issues using the Hill Hold feature with this car. Never stalled, didn't even roll back an inch. Tried it multiple times and it was a pleasure to use. Yes, you have to turn it on every time you start the car, but I didn't experience the jarring or snatching Blade described.

Again as mentioned, it's interesting how different the cars are behaving, most likely all due to different software versions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'd agree that the Hill Hold Assist option is a useful one but a warning if you have a manual A5.

If the car is held on an slope, in 1st gear, clutch down and you blip the throttle then hill hold assist will disengage.

Maybe this happens on other models with the same feature but it had me moving pretty sharpish to the footbrake to stop me rolling into the slow car in front at a downhill T-junction...

·
Registered
677 Posts
My car will have the option as part of a package. However I do not know if I will like it. I currently park on a steep uphill grade. When I get in I release brake and start the car. Then I roll backwards and turn then stop and put it in first gear and drive uphil out of the parking area.

Of course my parking spot is a bit different than most. It is just beyond the lowest drain of the parking lot. So I basically back down into a bowl.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts