Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those of you with KW' coilovers and those of you with H&R's please report! :)

Is there any big cons to either the KW coilovers or the H&R's that anybody can think of...

Any installation comments or general comments that can help me make up my dang mind??

Texastate

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK..

I did a search and found some good info on the KW's as well as the H&R's....

But it seemed like everbody was really discussing the H&R springs themselves and not the H&R Coilover package as a whole..

I'm thinking that the KW 1's are the way to go because, correct me if I'm wrong, can be adjusted in the back easier than the KW 2's?

TX, any comments?

Texastate

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Not familiar with the adjustment differences between the KW V1 and V2s. In fact, I don't know anyone on here who has installed V1s on their A5/S5 yet (as those may not be shipping just yet).

Sizzle can speak to his experiences with the H&R coilovers. I think at one point he had been contemplating switching to KWs, though, so that should tell you something.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
When most of us got the V2s that was because it was the only one available.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Understood.. Since I was ABOUT to order H&R Coilovers but pulled back because H&R's are on backorder currently, I remember that the KW's are probably superior and if the K1's are easier to adjust than the K2's, I'll get those over stock... Maybe I can be the KW 1 newbie and get em' done..

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
The main point is that V1s are adjustable for ride height only - V2s offer that plus adjustable damping (where as the V3s offer hight adjustment plus independent compression and rebound damping adjustment).

Without someone (preferably you!) having experienced both manufacturers' offerings, on the same car and same roads, any opinion on the difference between KWs and H&Rs is likely to be wholly subjective.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The main point is that V1s are adjustable for ride height only - V2s offer that plus adjustable damping (where as the V3s offer hight adjustment plus independent compression and rebound damping adjustment).

Without someone Preferably you!) having experienced both manufacturers' offerings, on the same car and same roads, any opinion on the difference between KWs and H&Rs is likely to be wholly subjective.
Hmm.. Good point.. Well, I'll be getting better input and knowledge soon when I order the KW 2's or the KW 1's... I'm thinking that I might adjust them only 1 or 2 times most likely so I'm really leaning towards KW 1's as long as they aren't worse than stock feel, which I highly doubt they will be.. KW 2's damping adjustment would be nice but if most everbody already leaves theirs on the "comfort" pre-setting configured already out of the box then KW 1's might be a smarter buy..

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
To be honest, I think most of us who went with V2s would likely have plumped for the V1s had they then be available.

Ride height adjustability was certainly my main area of interest, although when the car goes back into APS next week, I'm going to experiment with a slightly modified damper setting........

Go with 1s - they'll be fine!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To be honest, I think most of us who went with V2s would likely have plumped for the V1s had they then be available.

Ride height adjustability was certainly my main area of interest, although when the car goes back into APS next week, I'm going to experiment with a slightly modified damper setting........

Yes, I read some threads back and at the time that was your guys only option, but at least you have increased functionality when you do need it..

I'm thinking 1's will be sweet and I'll be totally satisfied.. I'll get TX's opinion when I see him this weekend since he has KW 2's...

How might you be changing your damping setting this time when you take it into APS? A little softer, harder??

·
Registered
237 Posts

Ess - are you planning to go softer or harder ? :eek:
And how does your current set up compare with stock in terms of comfort?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, I read some threads back and at the time that was your guys only option, but at least you have increased functionality when you do need it..

I'm thinking 1's will be sweet and I'll be totally satisfied.. I'll get TX's opinion when I see him this weekend since he has KW 2's...

How might you be changing your damping setting this time when you take it into APS? A little softer, harder??
:D

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
IMO, the ride with the KW V2s is actually a bit more comfortable than the stock setup when going over bumpy roads. Even the senior Audi tech who installed mine commented on how amazed he was with the ride comfort during his test drive following the installation. (The dampening was left at the default setting.) He was expecting it to be a stiff ride given how much lower the car sits, but that simply wasn't the case. The V2s were definitely a worthwhile upgrade. Like Ess5ive mentioned, if the V1s had been available at the time, I would have purchased those.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm getting close to going with coilovers myself...will probably opt for the V1's if they are available. It is nice to have the ride dampening adjustable that the V2's offer but am crossing my fingers the V1's will not be harsh (which we are all assuming will be similar to the V2's stock setting and should be fine)...I'm looking forward to a report from one of the faithful on the V1's? Maybe you can give a report out between V2's and V1's if you get them installed texasstate (using TXcarguy's V2 as a baseline) I'm on hold until I can resolve the vibration issue under warranty.

Same question I seem to have asked a lot of people? Does anyone know what the minimum drop is on the KW V2's? I know the H&R's have an automatic 1" drop installed...are the KW V2's the same or can you get close to stock height if need be?

Another question is longevity? Do coilovers last longer than normal struts or is the life expectancy about the same?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm getting close to going with coilovers myself...will probably opt for the V1's if they are available. It is nice to have the ride dampening adjustable that the V2's offer but am crossing my fingers the V1's will not be harsh (which we are all assuming will be similar to the V2's stock setting and should be fine)...I'm looking forward to a report from one of the faithful on the V1's? Maybe you can give a report out between V2's and V1's if you get them installed texasstate (using TXcarguy's V2 as a baseline) I'm on hold until I can resolve the vibration issue under warranty.

Same question I seem to have asked a lot of people? Does anyone know what the minimum drop is on the KW V2's? I know the H&R's have an automatic 1" drop installed...are the KW V2's the same or can you get close to stock height if need be?

Another question is longevity? Do coilovers last longer than normal struts or is the life expectancy about the same?
I'll probably go with the KW 1's and if TX and I are at the local car meet he goes to frequently I may have him drive my car and see if he can notice a difference in the KW 2's vs. KW 1's.. To be continued... :D

·
Registered
643 Posts
If and when I plunk some dough down on coilovers (in the not too distant future), they will be the V2's. It is an absolute necessity to be able to adjust your damping where I live if you have a car that sits low.

BTW, what's the tallest height adjustability on the V2's, relative to stock?

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Ess - are you planning to go softer or harder ? :eek:
Marmin, Texastate, I'm going to go a little softer ( ) - it's probably my imagination but the ride seems to have become harsher/crashier since I've had the coilovers. I think it may also be a function of the fact that the car has settled a little more than anticipated. I plan to raise the rear ride height by 5mm and go a setting or two more compliant on the damping.

It's difficult for me to compare stock with coilovers as I got there via H&R springs. Initially, coilovers didn't seem to offer a dramatically more compliant ride (at the default setting) than the springs but compression and rebound rates were so much more in tune that it changed the vehicle dynamics dramatically. I just feel that dialling in slightly more compression will certainly have a positive effect on comfort and possibly also rough-surface grip as I'm still conscious that the car can be knocked off-line sometimes by surface irregularities rather than absorbing them.

Talking of ride height, from memory I think that you could easily wind the car up to stock height given the amount of availble thread travel at the present setting - this would essentially be approx a 1.75" adjustment from current position.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Marmin, Texastate, I'm going to go a little softer ( ) - it's probably my imagination but the ride seems to have become harsher/crashier since I've had the coilovers. I think it may also be a function of the fact that the car has settled a little more than anticipated. I plan to raise the rear ride height by 5mm and go a setting or two more compliant on the damping.

It's difficult for me to compare stock with coilovers as I got there via H&R springs. Initially, coilovers didn't seem to offer a dramatically more compliant ride (at the default setting) than the springs but compression and rebound rates were so much more in tune that it changed the vehicle dynamics dramatically. I just feel that dialling in slightly more compression will certainly have a positive effect on comfort and possibly also rough-surface grip as I'm still conscious that the car can be knocked off-line sometimes by surface irregularities rather than absorbing them.

Talking of ride height, from memory I think that you could easily wind the car up to stock height given the amount of availble thread travel at the present setting - this would essentially be approx a 1.75" adjustment from current position.
Having looked at my rears over Christmas, I don't think you can dial a rear ride height back to stock. Mine are on their highest setting and it's about -30mm. ...you can go down to -70 though! :eek:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Having looked at my rears over Christmas, I don't think you can dial a rear ride height back to stock. Mine are on their highest setting and it's about -30mm. ...you can go down to -70 though! :eek:
Ian...could you post a pic of a side view of the car showing the highest setting for the rear? (setting you are currently on)...that would be great help to me

If the back is too low is it possible to put coilovers just on the front and adjust dampening to match the stock setup in back or is this just crazy talk?...in a perfect world i just want the front to come down an inch and back maybe 1/2"

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Ian...could you post a pic of a side view of the car showing the highest setting for the rear? (setting you are currently on)...that would be great help to me

If the back is too low is it possible to put coilovers just on the front and adjust dampening to match the stock setup in back or is this just crazy talk?...in a perfect world i just want the front to come down an inch and back maybe 1/2"
Will do at some point. Most of the pics I have are with lowered springs... although there may be some from the Audi track day last October...

·
Registered
88 Posts
ok so from what im reading, correct me if im wrong, the kw v1 r made just to adjust height while the kw v2's r made for height adjusment as well as comfort?

I currently have the H&R springs but i want to make the ride a little bit more stiffer. When i take corners (going slow maybe around 40-50mph) i can feel the car sorta tumble or sway towards the direction im turning to and gives me a weird feeling the car might tip over lol.

i dont have pic but hoping to take some up soon as well as update my profile when i can but i got the sway bar as well and wondering just for stiffness would the Kw v1 or v2 be better? I dont plan to track the car, just want to make it more sturdy but yet comfotable when driving. Also i like the H&R springs drop height which is perfect for me so hopefully the Kw v1 or v2 r the same height drop.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts