Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After doing some research here it seems the consensus here is that coil overs are superior to just doing the springs lower job.

I had the H&R springs on order and have just emailed the shop to see if they can cancel or return them so that I can do the coil overs instead.

I would like opinions from you boys as to which is the better route to go.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
If you haven't spent the money on springs I would definitely do the coilovers. The price difference is not that much and you have full adjustability, a more compliant ride, and no issues with your shocks later.

My springs also started to "creak" but they were the more aggressive 1.3" version. I cannot speak on the 1" drop....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Sizle,

I may not have been clear in my post. I am definitely trying to cancel the springs but I believe H&R and KW do coilovers. I am curious as to which one is the better way to go...

·
Registered
204 Posts
Stasis/Ohlins is going to be the top of the line. I haven't seen a price yet but based on other Ohlins coilover kits i have seen probably between $2500-3000, Some Audi RS4 drivers swear by them. I know H&R is somewhere in the $1300, I have not seen a price on KW

Tonny

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Thanks Sizle,

I may not have been clear in my post. I am definitely trying to cancel the springs but I believe H&R and KW do coilovers. I am curious as to which one is the better way to go...
I see now.

All I can do is endorse the H&R coils. You are probably going to pay 2 times as much for the KV3, but I have heard good things about them.

The H&R's do not have adjustable dampeners so if you are looking to track the car you may want to spend more on the others.

One thing to remember however is that the rears are not a true coilover for any of these sets on the S5 chassis. To me, that would make a difference because your true adjustability will be limited and only your fronts are truly coilovers...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I decided to go with the KW V3's. I have them ordered and will report back on them once they are on. This probably won't be for about 4 weeks which is when the HRE 20"ers are coming :) I am going to do the coils and wheels at the same time.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I decided to go with the KW V3's. I have them ordered and will report back on them once they are on. This probably won't be for about 4 weeks which is when the HRE 20"ers are coming :) I am going to do the coils and wheels at the same time.
793R's with white?

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Cool. Report back and let us know. They can't be worse than the H$R with the adjustable dampeners so you're gonna have an awesome ride. Those coils get nothing but praise from those that own them on other vehicles.

What is the adjustability range in inches????

·
Registered
61 Posts
I will have my Kw V2's on within the week, they are due to arrive today, and the car will go into the shop early next week....

I went with Kw over H&R strictly cause of options and past experence, I came from the world of Vw Mk4 gti's and i run Weitec/Kw suspension on that car and absolutely love my setup!

The car is going to be tracked so i went with the v2's insteat of the v1's, I would have went with the v3's however the car wont be at that track that much so i thought it would be overkill.

The lowest price i found H&Rs was about 1100, i believe the V1's were like 1300 the v2's were like 1600 and V3's were like 2200 if i recall correctly.

I saw a few posts up someone said it doesnt really matter in the rear cause they will not be adjustable, that person is wrong, i havent looked at the rear setup of the car yet, but i assume that he's talking about the spring is seprate from the shock, IF this is true the new coilover spring will sit on a "perch" that will be bolted to the spring cup, this perch is threaded and will be able to be adjusted up and down to adjust rear height, and the shock will be able to be adjusted for dampening. I will have pics when the car is out of the shop.

I was going to attempt to install them myselves as ive put suspension in many cars but i heard that audi's are a pain in the balls and i havent done one yet.

Hope this helps i will keep you updated.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I saw a few posts up someone said it doesnt really matter in the rear cause they will not be adjustable, that person is wrong, i havent looked at the rear setup of the car yet, but i assume that he's talking about the spring is seprate from the shock, IF this is true the new coilover spring will sit on a "perch" that will be bolted to the spring cup, this perch is threaded and will be able to be adjusted up and down to adjust rear height, and the shock will be able to be adjusted for dampening. I will have pics when the car is out of the shop.
I didn't see anybody say they are not adjustable, what I actually said is it's not a true coilover in the rear like the front is, just an adjustable shock as you stated.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Im sorry i miss understood you, some cheaper versions just have a spring in the rear with no adjustment height wise, i thought thats what you were talking about.

Most Audi's and vw's dont have a true coilover in the back.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.