Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering replacing my OE rear sway bar with an H&R rear sway bar. I've searched for any pros and cons concerning this mod, but it seems that the ones who have done this mod have opted for the Stasis rear sway bar. Anyone care to shed some light on the difference between the H&R and Stasis rear sway bar?

Thanks

· Registered
2,024 Posts
I don't believe anyone has installed the H&R sway bar on here.

Many have however installed the Stasis bar and can't seem to stop saying good things about it.

I don't believe there would be a [noticeable]difference between both bars.

· Registered
112 Posts
The setups are completely different. The H&R kit replaces the front and rear sway bars as it is the relationship between the two which defines the understeer / oversteer characteristics.

Typically, on a front wheel drive car just doing the rear works well, and vice-versa rear wheel drive will be better with a front bar. With Quattro, it's usually best to do both as the power delivery is far more dynamic and shifts from front to rear, right to left, etc...

Personally I'm more interested in the H&R setup, especially as it's available in January in the UK and without the extortionate shipping costs from the US.

T

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey timbotdi,
you wrote that it is the relationship between the front and the rear sway bar that defines the understeer/oversteer characteristic. My questions are this:
-Would you recommend that I changed both front and rear sway bar to get the intended result from H&R?
-What would do you think would be the outcome of that change? More oversteer, more understeer, or more neutral then stock?
-And I noticed that the diameter of the sway bars from H&R are smaller. But I haven't been able to determine if the bars are hollow or not. I know that in Stasis they are hollow. Is there any structural difference between these sway bars? If so, is it of any importance?

Thanks for your input.

· Registered
1,042 Posts
The thing to remember about anti-roll bars is that the stiffer you make one end of the car, the more load the outside wheel on that end has to carry in the corner, and hence that end reaches the limit of adhesion sooner than it would otherwise. So putting a stiff ARB on the rear means that in a hard corner the rear tires will reach their limit of adhesion sooner than it would otherwise, and consequently the rear ARB induces oversteer (or reduces understeer). Conversely, stiffening the front increases under-steer (or reduces oversteeer). HOWEVER - the devil is in the details, as this rule of thumb may be trumped by the particular geometry of the car's suspension. For example, with the BMW 3-series it has been found that stiffening the front actually reduces understeer, which is counter to the general rule. The reason for this behavior is the trailing arm suspension geometry in that car - as the springs compress in the turn the outside wheel gains positive camber, which means the tire rolls onto the sidewall and it loses some grip. So stiffening the front with a fat ARB results in less camber change and the front end gets better grip, which more than makes up for the extra load that the front has to carry.

I have not seen any discussions on whether the S5 behaves this way, but I doubt it. From my own experience at the track both with and without the STaSIS rear ARB - it definitely reduces the car's inherent understeer, in line with what you would expect from theory. If the H&R kit includes a stiffer front ARB than stock, then I would hope that the H&R rear ARB is stiffer than the STaSIS. But it is very difficult to analyze this without actually trying out the various set ups - manufacturers may tell you the outside diameter of their product, but they typically don't tell you the wall thickness.

Reactions: Donny_DJ

· Registered
2,024 Posts
Has anybody installed H&R front and read sway bars??!

· Registered
22 Posts
Second that.. Anyone with the front and rear H&R ARB?? How does it compare to stasis rear alone?

· Registered
324 Posts
No H&R but I really do love the stassis bar, and they were fantastic to deal with... 2cents

· Registered
3,339 Posts
Put the GMG on front and rear and the car preforms so much better it is amazing. I believe you wouldn't go wrong with Stasis but the price tag is a little hard to justify.

· Registered
19 Posts
I have H&R f/r sways, coilovers, and 15/20 spacers on stock 19" wheels and the improved handling is great. I do not feel the ride is harsh at all and I love the lack of any noticeable body roll.

· Registered
186 Posts
Ben, i also have the KW V3's and i was thinking about getting the stasis rear bar, how do you like it, worth the money?

· Registered
2,024 Posts
Did anyone install H&R ARB on a stock suspension? Improvement?
Definitely an improvement over the stock bars, although I don't believe you get the 100% full benefit of the bars.

My coils should arrive in a week or two; the improvement in handling should be phenomenal....:thumbsdown:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.