Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noobie here, so forgive my ignorance...just picked up a S5 one Saturday, when I decided I wanted to see the S5 in person (after looking at pics in the mag, every night, for like 6 mos in a row! LOL!) Needless to say, I walked out (hmmm, more like drove out) of the dealership about 4 hrs later...

i would like to hear anyone's input re: a drop and, in my instance, whether it's worth it or not. I live in NYC, and the highways, well, hmmm, are real crappy, potholes every other miles (and I drive 100 miles a day!) Not to mention the curb entrance to my garage is somewhat high!

does anyone have any input on whether or not a drop would do me justice? (Sizzle, the drop on your ride looks bee-u-tee-ful!)

any suggestions?

·
Registered
204 Posts
It pretty much think you answered your own question, with the situation you have I don't think I would lower it. I live in Arizona and I think our roads are much better so here it is totally okay to do it. The other thing to consider would be what you think you are going to do with wheels/tires.

Tonny

·
Registered
45 Posts
I plan on dropping mine sometime next week. The roads in MD where I tend to drive are usually in good shape.

I would not rush into dropping your S5 yet, until you've had the time to drive it around in your area to see if the roads are even suitable for the stock height. Get used to that feeling as this will be your norm. From what I've read in this forum, lowering will definitely result in a rougher ride, so factor that into the norm and if you can live with it, then by alls means lower the car.

Also, you will have to do an alignment once the car is lowered.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I ordered a set of H&R springs (1" drop) before my A5 was ever delivered. I've had the car for 2 weeks now and have decided that I'm not going to lower it. I am absolutely in love with the ride quality and don't want to give that up. For me, my car has the perfect balance of comfort and handling for everyday city driving. I don't plan to ever track the car or anything like that.

I had purchased the springs solely to reduce the wheel arch gap that I had seen in various pictures. However, in person my wheel gap is not that bad, IMO. It's only 1.5 inches (38mm) and I'm willing to live with it. (i.e., It's not worth sacrificing my superb ride quality for a reduction in wheel arch gap when the existing gap is tolerable to me.) Plus, I'm planning to install 20" wheels once they arrive in a few weeks. So, I'm taking that into account also regarding the ride quality.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Tx: Have you got your side skirts fitted yet ?? :) if so post some pics

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Tx: Have you got your side skirts fitted yet ?? :) if so post some pics
Shhhhh!!! It's supposed to be a secret. ;) Actually, as I type this message, my car is having something else fitted today. Will post pics of the "Phase 2" mods before the weekend is over. As for the side skirts, I've got them but haven't decided yet if I'm going to install them. I'm going to wait and see how I feel after observing the car with today's mod. I'm sure I've probably got everyone's curiosity up by now as to exactly what that mod is! LOL You'll just have to wait and see.

·
Registered
63 Posts
1" drop and snow

Can anyone comment on the effect this will/does have in snow-ish conditions other than the lower the car less clearance angle.

I say snow-ish b/c I am in PA and we get the mix (snow/sleet/rain) but rarely get deep powder.

DJ

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
on relatively smooth surfaces at 'snow speeds' (I say sNow, not sLow) it should make no difference. At higher speeds on bumpier surfaces, I would expect it to have slightly less grip than with softer suspension.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts