Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Questions about lowering

My S5 is about to arrive soon and I have forged rims on order. I am debating lowering an inch. I wanted to know from users with the coilovers/springs a few things.

1. Trying to figure out if I need springs or coilovers. I just want to drop an inch, however I don't mind spending extra money if the coilovers equal a better ride with less issues.

2. Driving in parking garage, pulling into driveways - is the car so low that you have to be extra cautious when driving around cities?

3. Any type of spring or coilover that is preferred over the other?

Any input is greatly appreciated; I'd rather get opinions from people who have used these than just taking a risk without any experience.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
1. H&R springs are fine if you simply want to lower your car at a certain set ride height and leave it at that height. You should definitely replace the factory shocks as well if you replace the springs since the spring rate will change and wear out your factory schocks quicker.

Coilovers on the other hand are only "better" in the sense that they allow you to actually adjust the ride height. Coilovers are usually more expensive than just springs because they have the adjustable shock/sleeve with springs in a total package. I prefer coilovers because i like to be able to adjustsettings when i go to the track.

2. yes, you should be more cautious exiting certain driveways or inclines when driving a lowered vehicle. You may even have you take speed bumps at a slight angle so you ride over it smother. But that comes with the territoty. If youre only lowering the car 1", i doubt you'll have any problems though since 1" isen't really that low to begin with.

3. H&R springs have been around for a while and have a proven reputation. Eibach is also a solid brand. Eibach actually makes springs for other spring manufactureres and the other manufactueres just slap their name on them and sell them. IMO, Eibach is king. Eibach has also been a round for a long time.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Do a forum search on coilovers as a few of us have moved to those after having H&R springs and there are a couple of threads on it.

·
Registered
750 Posts
My S5 is about to arrive soon and I have forged rims on order. I am debating lowering an inch. I wanted to know from users with the coilovers/springs a few things.

1. Trying to figure out if I need springs or coilovers. I just want to drop an inch, however I don't mind spending extra money if the coilovers equal a better ride with less issues.

2. Driving in parking garage, pulling into driveways - is the car so low that you have to be extra cautious when driving around cities?

3. Any type of spring or coilover that is preferred over the other?

Any input is greatly appreciated; I'd rather get opinions from people who have used these than just taking a risk without any experience.

Thanks in advance.
Hi Rezox,

There are a few post already, but I will throw-in...

I have the H&R 1" Sport Springs (car is an S5), and I personally only noticed a small difference in ride quality. I have driven an S5 (Sizzle's) with the coilovers and I can tell the difference.

However, the difference (for me) wasn't enough to justify the extra $1200. The _only_ time I notice the difference is if I am on a road with a lot of dips or very large speed bumps.

The ride is better with the coilovers but only a little (IMO), if money is not an issue...go for the coilovers...if you are not picky about a slight decrease in ride quality, save the $1200 and go for springs.

To elaborate on Platano's point, 1" generally isn't much lower but the S5 already sits about 10-15 mm lower than the A5 so you'll potentially be ~30+ mm lower than a stock A5. I have to enter/exit steep parking lot entrance ramps with caution and at an angle because it is low enough to scrape in some instances.

The place where you'll have more trouble is when you are parking and they have concrete curbs that you pull up to...you will scrape for sure.

Enjoy.

Next time, use the search first and you'll probably find it.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks,

Ordered the H & R Coilovers today.

Will post pics when everything is put together!

ARgggh the wait! :D

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Thanks,

Ordered the H & R Coilovers today.

Will post pics when everything is put together!

ARgggh the wait! :D
Good choice, you won't be disappointed with the ride or handling. One thing that wasn't mentioned is that you can dial in a little more rake to the front to improve your visual stance. The 1" springs give the car a lifted look in the front which was the main driver for my purchase....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.