Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Members - can you take a moment please and help me out.
I was going to enjoy my middle age by buying a Porsche. A Panamera floated my boat for awhile until I spoke to a neighbour who’d had two - the bills were horrendous. I do rather fancy an A5 coupe, and someone I know vaguely has one that may be coming up for sale. I might be interested - but.
I had an A6 3l diesel on 2010 plate which I had remapped to around 300 bhp. Manual transmission, loved it. I want an A5, in Quattro with auto trans, with around 300bhp. If I have to have it remapped, no issues. Can you guide me as to -
which engine code is the higher output
which auto transmission can take the most torque (In the event of a remap)
any other relevant info re extras that are worth looking for

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Wow, that’s a lot of questions. I’m not the best to answer questions on remaps, lots more qualified than me. However, a late B8.5 3.0TDI Quattro is a good starting point. 245PS / 500Nm stock, which can get close to 300 with a simple good quality Stage 1 remap. Just take care with the S-Tronic DSG gearbox, as torque handling is limited... not quite sure what the max is, but I don’t think I’d like to take it much higher than 600Nm. I’ve had two in stock form, and they are very good. Just my 2p worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
395 Posts
I think there is only 1 choice for an auto transmission in the EU, the S-tronic/DSG. If you want more than factory-spec power, then you'll probably need to also upgrade the computer on the transmission as well as the clutch pack.

Porsche/Audi/VW are all the same family, so repair bills are all insane. Porsche with its mid-engine layout is the worst, but many parts are shared throughout the Porsche/Audi/VW family. So if you can source parts online, it's reasonable.

The germans like to build a $2000 computer to control a module to control a relay to control a solenoid to control a switch with a billion connectors and wires in between. The Japanese just use a switch with 1 wire. That said, Japanese cars aren't as fun to drive and don't look as good.

If you just want a weekend toy, just go for the Porsche and make friends with an honest mechanic. Audi are great for daily driving, but they don't last.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts