Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you plan to drive your car at all in the winter, it's quite unsafe to do so on the summer performance tires that comes with the S5/A5 S-line. Consequently, if you haven't already got all-seasons or winters from prior years, I think it's time we start looking into buying some winter boots for our cars. Any other members in the Toronto area interested?

I have no existing relationship with any tire joint in the city and I am open to suggestions.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yes!

I am interested. Still trying to figure out what the @*!% I'm going to do. Have toyed with putting winter tires on the existing rims and getting new rims for next year, but haven't done any research as of yet (other than checking out the forums).

·
Registered
163 Posts
SEIFUFU and 1000Songs - there are a number of other Audi owners that I have also worked with to negotiate a group buy through TIRERACK in the US. Their prices are much cheaper and a wider selection of rims and tires. Where were u thinking of buying tires from?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Frank. Let us in on the group buy. Fill us in on the details.

I was thinking of buying locally; but don't have a place in mind. Tirerack is also fine if you get good discount. We can do another group buy for installing and balancing locally then. LOL.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I know the owner of a company that comes to your house or business to install winters. If we get a large group and decide what to get, I can ask him for a discount on wheels, tires and install.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Frank:

I haven't gotten far enough along re: tirerack USA or anyone else. I usually wait until the first snowfall before I awaken from my slumber (unlike the bears who are already hibernating).

Not only will I defer to your expertise, but I'll probably also contribute to your VAG-COM fund!

Kevin

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guys, so who do we have so far?

Myself
1000Songs (Kevin)
Frank M. (??)
TorDoc
audiballin

If we are planning to go Tirerack, we need to keep in mind the exchange rate. It's now at about 1.07 CAD/US (will be more like 1.09 CAD/US if we use PayPal/credit card).

TorDoc, does that mean we all have to get the same setup? I am only looking to buy tires and TPMS (i have a set of wheels for winter). I am specifically looking at a set of Bridgestone Blizzak LM25 225/40 R19 89V (the only winters available in that size as I want to keep the same rolling diameter as my current 255/35 R19 setup). I have been quoted $1600 including TPMS, taxes, and installation/balance from tires23 out in Mississisauge. I am planning to give Steelcase tires a call. It'd be great if we can get a better deal through your friend if we can get this group buy going.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I assumed that a group buy would be all for the same package. What that is, I have no clue. I just drive my car, I have no idea how it works. I don't know a Goodyear from a Michelin. I was hoping you all could decide what the best wheel and tire package was and the I'd ask him for a group 'deal'. I you want, I could ask him for a recommendation.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I saw packages (wheels + rims, not sure about TPMS) for 18" (RS4 style) for around $2300 before taxes at Audi of Mississisauga.

Once we are ready, I can put together a list of what everyone's order is and ask for a quote. But before I can do that I need:

1. a solid contact for a tire place
2. exactly what you want in terms of brand/size/wheels/TPMS etc. (we can't ask for a quote if you don't know what you want).

·
Registered
63 Posts
Guys, so who do we have so far?

Myself
1000Songs (Kevin)
Frank M. (??)
TorDoc
audiballin

If we are planning to go Tirerack, we need to keep in mind the exchange rate. It's now at about 1.07 CAD/US (will be more like 1.09 CAD/US if we use PayPal/credit card).

TorDoc, does that mean we all have to get the same setup? I am only looking to buy tires and TPMS (i have a set of wheels for winter). I am specifically looking at a set of Bridgestone Blizzak LM25 225/40 R19 89V (the only winters available in that size as I want to keep the same rolling diameter as my current 255/35 R19 setup). I have been quoted $1600 including TPMS, taxes, and installation/balance from tires23 out in Mississisauge. I am planning to give Steelcase tires a call. It'd be great if we can get a better deal through your friend if we can get this group buy going.

Might be better off selling the rims as you can buy an entire winter package for less than 1600....

·
Registered
158 Posts
@#!%*# Road Hazard

I somehow managed to blast a small piece of metal into the inner sidewall of my right rear tire. Brilliant.

While I was sourcing a new tire (which I think will ultimately be replaced because of the vibration issue anyway), I asked about a winter wheel and tire package.

Wheel: RWC AD73 18 x 8
http://www.replicawheelscanada.com/

Tire - Hankook Icebear 300 245/40R18
http://www.hankooktire.ca/product/tire_wt_detail.asp?pid=30

Package Price $1576 plus tax.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I somehow managed to blast a small piece of metal into the inner sidewall of my right rear tire. Brilliant.

While I was sourcing a new tire (which I think will ultimately be replaced because of the vibration issue anyway), I asked about a winter wheel and tire package.

Wheel: RWC AD73 18 x 8
http://www.replicawheelscanada.com/

Tire - Hankook Icebear 300 245/40R18
http://www.hankooktire.ca/product/tire_wt_detail.asp?pid=30

Package Price $1576 plus tax.
Did you get pricing for TPMS sensors? I'm hearing $250-300 for 4.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes. We will need TPMS, please add that to the quote. The Driver Info Display will show a TPMS error if you don't put the TPMS on.

See this link here on the Mazda3 forum. There is a sizable group buy organized by [email protected] going on there... I emailed Allen. Let's see if he can do the same for us.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Alright - I've asked about adding TPMS to the quote. To be fair, I simply asked the tire shop that I used for my G35 (and who the Infiniti dealer recommended when people like me balked at dealer prices!) about a winter package. I also have yet to mention the possibility of a group purchase - I'll leave that until the end.

I also asked why they suggested the AD73 rim, as it's FUGLY. If RWC is the manufacturer of choice, I think the AD21 is a much nicer looking rim and much closer to OEM looks. Same bolt patterns and offsets (which won't be right either on an 8" rim).

Plenty of other shops out there to talk to - I just figured I'd ask these guys since I had to source a new tire anyway.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Tpms

FYI - this is what Steelcase says about sensors:

If you want sensors I can order aftermarket ones but we have been seeing problems with the sensors and the salt not mixing so well and they are cracking at removal.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yes. We will need TPMS, please add that to the quote. The Driver Info Display will show a TPMS error if you don't put the TPMS on.

See this link here on the Mazda3 forum. There is a sizable group buy organized by [email protected] going on there... I emailed Allen. Let's see if he can do the same for us.
You don't *have* to have the sensors. We have a second car that has the TPMS light on in the winter as our winter package doesn't have them.
TPMS is a royal PITA.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Hahaha I clicked on this thread thinking that you were talking about Grand Theft Auto

sorry i'm in the wrong place:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.