Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

Grey Dash (Can't Have Star Silver Leather With Black Dash)

6K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  Rebel 
#1 ·
Ordered my A5 (3.5 FSI) the other week, Meteor Grey with a Star Silver interior. Just yesterday though I realised this would mean being stuck with a grey dashboard. According to the dealer here in Oz you can't have star silver leather seats with a black dashboard. In my eyes the grey dashboard just looks cheap & nasty so now it's a decision between an all dark interior (black leather / black dash) or brown & black (cinnamon leather / black dash).

Any opinions, advice, experience or photo's of a grey dash that looks good would be appreciated. Especially if you are from Australia.

P.S. Hello everyone.

#2 ·
Hey Revo, well, that's gonna be interesting because they told me it wouldn't be a problem to have star silver with black dash. To be on the safe side I have included it in my contract, clearly stating I would not accept the car if it wasn't a black/black dash. My car is arriving in Freo on March 4th .....

#3 ·
Have you ordered a S5 or A5? You can have Star Silver leather with Black / Black dash with an S5 but not with a A5 apparently.

Just went out to Audi Centre Perth and changed to Black Leather with Black / Black Dash. He showed me the colour and trim matrix as well and believe me there is no Star Silver leather with Black / Black dash on there. I would be double checking if I were you.

Can I ask what the name of your dealer is? I have a chap called Ben.

Let me know how you get on BenG if there are any developments,

Cheers,

Revo (Tim)

#4 ·
Actually you can if you go up in leather quality (change to a milano instead of a napa). Then you should be able to order silver/black dash.. I have the silver/ black dash on my Phantom black S5 - looks great - love how it contrasts? I've always hated their other color dashboards in the past ( whether beige, gray or dark blue)......

If you do follow this road, also suggest you get the black headlining too if possible.....

#5 ·
If you do follow this road, also suggest you get the black headlining too if possible.....
Matter of taste. I have the silver headlining as it brightens up the car and goes well with the silver seats.

#6 · (Edited)
Any opinions, advice, experience or photo's of a grey dash that looks good would be appreciated.
To help you compare, here are pics of silver interior ... one with a black dashboard (S5) and the other with a gray dashboard (A5). At least I think that's silver seating on the A5 pic (as opposed to light gray seating).

Note that the gray dashboard pic also has gray carpet and gray doors, which makes a difference in the overall look of the interior.

P.S. Welcome to the forum! :)

Attachments

#7 ·
Thanks for all your help so far everyone.

To S5France, the dealer gave me the colour and trim matrix and there is no way you can have Star Silver leather with a Black / Black dash, just Black / Graphite Grey. Not on a A5 here in Australia anyway. We don't have Nappa leather here either. Standard leather is Milano with an option to upgrade to Valcona. I am going to Melbourne (The other side of the country) next week though so might just stroll into the dealer there and ask them as well as sometimes we can be a bit slow in the west (The supermarket still shuts at 5:30pm).

On the Grey dash, TXcarguy's pictures just affirm my hatred of it. It looks really cheap and several decades out of date in my eyes.

Went out to the dealer today and am now going to have Black Leather with Black / Black dash and silver headlining. Originally thought this would be to dark but there was a Black (Can't remember if it was Phantom or Brilliant) A5 in the showroom with a black interior and it looked great, just not as great as Star Silver leather with a Black / Black dash.

P.S. A bird did it's business on my current car while I was in the dealer!

#8 ·
Indeed - I didn't have the info available, it is an upgrade to Valcona leather. I did this in a recent A6, which allowed me to chave a black dashboard ( and in fact the Valcona leather was nicer and finer.

If not possible, i'd do the same and go with black/black just to avoid the grey, which I agree looks ugly. See also if you can order the dark ( black) headlining too - it really confies the driver in a more pleasant manner and also looks better in my mind.....

Good luck!

Phil

#10 ·
Folks,

You've got me pondering now plus the fact that I am well away from my build week I am now considering changing. It should'nt be this painful...damn Audi...they've produced a fabulous car but made a few schoolboy errors on the options. Looking at the colour & trim guide for the A5, it appears you have four options on Black/Black.
1.Black
2.Cinnamon / Stone Blue
3.Cinnamon
4.Star Silver / Stone Blue (However this is restricted to the Valcona Leather with the sports seats)

....I'd nearly run with 4 & take the hit on the sports seats as I had already ordered the Valcona in SS anyway (with Black / Graphite Grey)

Anybody got opinions or pics on 4 :confused:

#12 · (Edited)
Don't go the Star Silver / Stone Blue Rebel! I think you would regret it big time as it is hideous. May as well paint some purple stripes and lime green polka dots on the seats as well.

Go the black leather - It's the best of the worst and isn't actually as dark in the flesh as you would imagine, even in a black A5.

Where are you located? Somewhere in Australia or far away?

This isn't actually a real photo. It's from the "Design My Audi" program on the Audi Australia web site (http://www.audi.com.au/content/Model.aspx?s=2004)

Attachments

#11 · (Edited)
Know how you feel Rebel. Confirmed with the dealer yesterday and that's indeed the only options you have. Absolutely livid I am. Firstly I have to find this out myself online (fron Revo), then they want me to make my mind up in the next few days so I don't miss production. Luckily I put black/black dash in my contract. Will probably cancel my contract today and run back to beemer, at least they bend over backwards to get my business.....
That grey dash just looks hideous!
A shame I've already wasted so much time waiting ....

#16 ·
Holy S***, I thought the second colour in 2 & 4 combos related to the carpet or headlining....they're horrific:eek: The A5 is getting shafted to preserve the exclusivity of the S5.
Don't know where I would be without this site...I know far more than any Audi garage people I have spoken to as a result.
Not sure about the black as I think the cab needs brightening, both from inside & looking in from the outside.
Gonna review over the weekend. Perhaps the Black / Graphite above is a poor picture as I have seen others of the same that don't look half as bad. Will dig out some comparisons.
Beige was another colour that I considered in the early stage, but saw a hideous two tone dash & was put off....again maybe a bad pic.

Ireland based.

#17 ·
Rebel, glad to be of assistance. I've learned a whole lot from this forum too. I think we have a great group of folks here who are willing to provide valuable information/input wherever they can.

I know what you mean about the bad pics of beige interiors. Makes it difficult to judge how it truly looks. FWIW, I've attached some of the better beige interior pics I've run across.

BTW, would you mind updating your profile with your location?

Revolutionaryradish, sorry...don't mean to hijack your thread with this info. for Rebel. Maybe we can just consider this to be a "drive by". :D

Attachments

#18 ·
Man, all three of those picture above are ugly with the color matched dashboard / trimmings. The only thing that suits well is the black dashboard and trims (I actually like it with the silver seats as in the very first picture in this post)...... stay away from these......

#20 ·
I have to admit, over the years I've considered other colours for evey purchase, but IMO unless it's actually leather, any colour other than black on a plastic dash just looks cheap. Which is a shame bacause I'd really like to have an interiror that wasn't so dark, especially with a dark car, a lighter interior looks luxurious... but I can't live with those dashboards!!

#23 ·
Check this out....this is exactly the finish

Posted by "416BUC"

http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthread.php/a5-s5-color-99/index2.html

Can't see anything to suggest that it is an S5. It's deffo an all black dash....UK Reg!

The more I look at those 2 tone colours on the seats to more it reminds me of a candy bar.

Having a difficult time of it though...this damn dashboard is causing me more thought than when I was selecting the exterior colour. However it appears to be carrying a lot of weight with me & would not rule out the Cinnamon at this stage:eek: :eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.