Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In spring 2008 people will be able to order an S5 with an AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION!!!

·
Registered
275 Posts
I spoke to someone working with Audi not long ago, and they indicated that they were working on automatic transmission ( as they had to adapt to the new platform, etc..... They indicated that they hoped it would be available during the first quarter next year.... however, that it was likely that it would not be available on the S5 so soon. They still haven't got a sporty automatic that can take the torque and fit in with quattro other than tiptronic (which they recently reinforced for future RS6).

If you remember, it is the same situation for RS4 and S4 - most of the market wants manual, and they are having a hard enough time fulfilling demand for S5, RS4, why spend time , R&D for automatic on those, when the market is limited and demand is high on manual ? I am quite sure this will be the general approach for these ( though they will probably put a standard tiptronic in the 3.0 tdi quattro soon, as that will represent increased sales for them)....

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am #1 on the list at the NYC dealership to order the automatic. While they're not 100% sure, they think they will be able to begin placing orders after the first of the year.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
S5France - I wrote several e-mails to Audi in Germany and at their last e-mail told me that they have decided to lauch an S5 with automatic transmission. Actually I dont agree about the manual and automatic - many people just dont buy RS4 because its manual.. Believe me I know some people who wanted A5/S5 but the manual gearbox was the reason they didnt buy 1.

Danny

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It will be Tiptronic as far as i understood. But I'm 100% sure that the gearbox wont be just "automatic". I think that it will be faster than the manual.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Do you mean Automatic or DSG ?

Automatic would be crap. DSG would be good for those who want it, i would still go for manual though

DSG is Automatic. Plain and simple.

Any car that can change gears for you is an Automatic. It just doesn't have a torque converter.

·
Registered
685 Posts
DSG is Automatic. Plain and simple.

Any car that can change gears for you is an Automatic. It just doesn't have a torque converter.
I would refine it to be any gearbox/car that will change gears for you when it thinks it should is automatic. On a DSG/E-gear box you tell it when to shift and it does.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Do you mean Automatic or DSG ?

Automatic would be crap. DSG would be good for those who want it, i would still go for manual though
I would refine it to be any gearbox/car that will change gears for you when it thinks it should is automatic. On a DSG/E-gear box you tell it when to shift and it does.

Right, but any gearbox that does not have a clutch pedal that lets the driver control the engagement and disengagment of gears is an Automatic. Whether you press a paddle or nudge a gearshifter doesn't really matter.

Automatics are great these days. But anyone who thinks a DSG is anything other than a great Automatic is in denial.

G

·
Right, but any gearbox that does not have a clutch pedal that lets the driver control the engagement and disengagment of gears is an Automatic. Whether you press a paddle or nudge a gearshifter doesn't really matter.

Automatics are great these days. But anyone who thinks a DSG is anything other than a great Automatic is in denial.
I had an M3 SMG and still have an 360 F1. The actual definition of these types of gear box are manual. Thats what it is in the insurance document.

I personally wouldn't count it as an Auto or Manual. Its a very different experience to both.

·
Registered
135 Posts
See the above post, as your statement is not true, its just your opinion.
My statement is actually true, simply by using English language definitions and the most basic user interaction with a vehicle. I certainly wouldn't go by an Insurance company or auto manufacturer's brand names and marketing blurbs.

Nothing personal, but like I said people are in denial. I don't consider Automatic to be such an ugly word or an insult. I have one. But it really is black and white.

G

·
My statement is actually true, simply by using English language definitions and the most basic user interaction with a vehicle. I certainly wouldn't go by an Insurance company or auto manufacturer's brand names and marketing blurbs.

Nothing personal, but like I said people are in denial. I don't consider Automatic to be such an ugly word or an insult. I have one. But it really is black and white.
Ok, well i totally disagree with you.

So i have a coulpe of questions.

1) Why is BMW's SMG , which stands for sequential Manual Gearbox, not called SAG, sequential automatic gearbox
2) Why do insurance companies class it as Manual, whcih makes a difference to the amount you pay (which would make it a significant difference to Automatic)
3) Are F1 cars Automatics ?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Ok, well i totally disagree with you.

So i have a coulpe of questions.

1) Why is BMW's SMG , which stands for sequential Manual Gearbox, not called SAG, sequential automatic gearbox
2) Why do insurance companies class it as Manual, whcih makes a difference to the amount you pay (which would make it a significant difference to Automatic)
3) Are F1 cars Automatics ?

Go to the ferrari.co.uk website and check out the F430. Under transmissions it says "Manual OR F1".

They got it right. Essentially there is "Manual" OR "Everything Else That is Not Manual" including SMG, F1, DSG, etc.

I'm only arguing the definitions of terminology. I don't mean to attack or offend anyone. This is just one of those common things that irk me. For whatever reason a lot of men find driving an automatic an attack on their manhood but really there is no shame in it and in situations like F1 a manual would be just too slow and too much work.

But really, if you want to call them "not Automatics" that is fine with me :) We can agree to disagree.

G

·
Go to the ferrari.co.uk website and check out the F430. Under transmissions it says "Manual OR F1".

They got it right. Essentially there is "Manual" OR "Everything Else That is Not Manual" including SMG, F1, DSG, etc.

I'm only arguing the definitions of terminology. I don't mean to attack or offend anyone. This is just one of those common things that irk me. For whatever reason a lot of men find driving an automatic an attack on their manhood but really there is no shame in it and in situations like F1 a manual would be just too slow and too much work.

But really, if you want to call them "not Automatics" that is fine with me :) We can agree to disagree.
paddles, buttons etc are still classed as MANUALS :D

·
Registered
135 Posts
paddles, buttons etc are still classed as MANUALS :D
Well the funny thing is I already proved you wrong. They are never classed as manuals. Marketing people will throw the word in there but it is absolutely incorrect. You must really feel your masculinity threatened by this!! Hilarious.

G

·
Well the funny thing is I already proved you wrong. They are never classed as manuals. Marketing people will throw the word in there but it is absolutely incorrect. You must really feel your masculinity threatened by this!! Hilarious.
Ok, i was joking hence the little smiley face you plank.

We are going to agree to disagree. I KNOW what these gearbox's are classed as, i KNOW what insurance companies class these gearbox's as etc etc.

I asked you three questions and you didn't answer any of them?:confused:

Can i now bring you to the dictionary definition of Automatic - having the capability of starting, operating, moving, etc., independently

So when you PRESS the button to change gear, or you PULL the paddles towards you to change gear, you are actively making the gear change when you decide. So these gear box's not being manual are in direct contravention of the dictionary term - AUTOMATIC.

Look forward to hearing how the dictionary is wrong :cool:

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
if some1 has info about the automatic or DSG or any other gearbox for the S5 - please write it or give links :p

1 - 20 of 25 Posts