Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the itch too!!!

Hello all, newbie here, been trolling for a few days, first post...here's my story-

Got the itch for a new car this week, went online, did a bit of research and decided the S5 was for me...next day, go to the local dealer and he tells me they are all spoken for til Oct. but I could order one and it would be here mid-Oct. I found that odd so I come back home, do a little google search and come across this board...seems like that's the standard answer, nobody has any for 6 months, not good for an impulsive guy like me!!!

Couple of questions...I see a few advertised on autotrader dot com, do those really exist or are they just there to get you to go to that dealer to place an order? Second, has anybody seen one at a dealer recently or are they all spoken for across the country? All the dealers I spoke to were MSRP or MSRP plus a few grand, anybody get a deal on theirs? I may have to just go down and place an order for an '09 if I can't find one in a day or two...

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
Hi hjs - gave you your own thread so that your questions can be answered without somewhat taking the other poster's thread off course.

Could you please add your location to your user profile? This is especially helpful when discussing availability.

Thanks and welcome.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Good choice...but if you can't wait you could get a nearly new unless you are a stuck on a new one. No deals to be done as far as I was concerned...Do you want it or not attitude tbh...

I take it you are UK based? What part?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Wrong Portmouth, (I think) it's New Hampshire/US...right? :)

Hi HJS, you have succumbed to the itch with a 6-9 month wait for a scratch. I too had a similar experience, but the proverbial "October date" is a little optimistic compared to what some of us that have actually placed orders in the States have come to realize. After my "wait period" was lengthened from 6 months to 9 months, I pulled my order and found one with less than 2000 miles.

Many of the S5s and A5s in the AutoTrader (or on their website) are actually being sold by dealers so for the most part you should be OK.

I hope that helps and welcome.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think that timing varies greatly by dealer, seems like Cali is the hardest place to find an allocation, I ordered in early April and my car has a build date and is expected late June/early July, so apparently the South of the US may be a better bet. I would definately call around to different dealers, you may also be able to find a spot that someone bailed on. Don't think most dealers are willing to move off MSRP, havent seen anything more than $1,000 below on any US order.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello all. I got the itch back in January and placed an order after test driving the demo car at Keyes in Van Nuys. I was actually considering taking the demo until they wanted 5K over sticker on a car that already had 3000 "demo" miles, and I can only assume that the previous drivers had put it through the ringer way worse than I had. That being said, their order process was calling for 10K over sticker. I abandoned that rather quickly and called around, ultimately placing an order with McKenna getting locked in at MSRP.

Good news is that it arrived at port this past Saturday and I am anticipating having the car in time for the weekend, which is perfect because I have a wedding to attend and would love to roll up in the S5. I have been waiting patiently like a kid on Christmas Eve. By the way, we are about 2 weeks ahead of schedule from my original dealer delivery date.

·
Registered
106 Posts
DMD

Good for you!

Make sure you drive your new M3 with McKenna paper plates by Keyes and rub it in their face.

Also let them know that they lost a customer for life.... I hope they think it was worth trying to gouge you!

Enjoy!

GTL

·
Registered
19 Posts
GTL, thanks for the support. For a second your post made me think I ordered an M3. Your point is well taken either way, I will be rolling by in my S5 with *other* dealer plates soon.

-DMD

1 - 8 of 8 Posts