Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my car today at lunchtime. Drove around for about an hour, went home, devoured the owner's manual, went out for another 1 hour drive in the dark before reluctantly putting it away in the garage for the night.

At the risk of antagonizing ELSTIMPO, my initial first impressions:
- Love the Phantom Black, especially in the bright delivery room my dealer uses.
- The wave of torque under hard acceleration (much more than my old S4 even)
- The B&O sound system (it's absolutely fantastic)
- That wall of torque again.
- The seats are really comfortable.
- Had to keep slowing down to feel that amazing torque!
- 35mpg:)
- Did I mention the torque?
- The hill hold assist (I found this very easy to get used to on first using it).
- Oh yeah, the acceleration in 2nd and 3rd - you really feel the torque!:D
- The adaptive lights - fantastic on unlit twisty country lanes.

Initial (slight) dislikes:
- The interior light levels. The lights on the centre consol around the MMI controls and the hill hold assist button in particular (when lit) can't be dimmed and are very bright.
- I get a reflection of the bottom part of the speedo in the top corner of the windscreen - I've never had this on a car before, but guess I can live with it.
- The exterior lights control is lit at night, and can't be dimmed. It then reflects in the side window right in the middle of the door mirror - not too bad, but a bit distracting on a dark country road with nothing following you.
- You can't turn the MMI screen off but still have music playing - would be useful IMHO, but again guess I'll just get used to it.

All my initial gripes are really minor, and guess I'll get used to it - I would like the interior to be a bit darker at night though...

I'm without my 'proper' camera at the moment, so it'll take me a little while to get any decent photos up, but might take some with my phone as it's a 5MP camera so shouldn't be too bad.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
At the risk of antagonizing ELSTIMPO, my initial first impressions:
Just asking for trouble with that.......

So i get the impression that you're "slightly" :D impressed with the torque of the car then. Waiting for my car (3 weeks to go) has just got that bit more agonising having read your initial impressions.

If you love torque give the 335d Coupe a test drive for the hell of it, I think you would enjoy the experience of the torque it hammers out (even more torque than the A5)....I know I did.

EDIT*

Forgot to say - congrats on getting your car....pictures asap please any camera will do :)

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
Awesome, Scratch! Congrats! Very interesting (though not in a good way) about the reflections. I can definitely see that being annoying. Maybe play around with seat positioning..?? Though comfort and vision obviously comes first.

Oh, change that footer! ;)

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, change that footer! ;)
Done!

Planning to change my Avatar as well just as soon as I get some pictures - the S4 is a bit old hat now...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Big congratulations mate
Hope you had a great day driving around - I bet you'll fall asleep with a big cheesy grin permanently set on your face:D

Congratulations again. Mine should be showing up in the morning - keep your fingers crossed for me;)

Cheers
Plob

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just asking for trouble with that.......

So i get the impression that you're "slightly" :D impressed with the torque of the car then. Waiting for my car (3 weeks to go) has just got that bit more agonising having read your initial impressions.

If you love torque give the 335d Coupe a test drive for the hell of it, I think you would enjoy the experience of the torque it hammers out (even more torque than the A5)....I know I did.

EDIT*

Forgot to say - congrats on getting your car....pictures asap please any camera will do :)
Might just do that as you say "just for the hell of it", although I never considered either the 335d or even 330d coupe as I don't think they can hold a candle to the A5 on either looks or interior quality.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Congrats scratch113 - looking forward to the pics.

Plob - please post your own impressions tomorrow as I have a 2.7 TDi on order and have not driven one (dealer didn't have any in stock) so I'm very keen on hearing views on both engine and auto-box. I guess it's not going to have anywhere near the torque of the 3.0 but hope it's fantastic all the same!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Another happy customer. What's the chance of you scanning the handbook so us "waiting in line" can get the feel of the car whilst reading about the experiences of you lucky fellows? If not all the handbook, at least the bit about the MMI and the B&O. Scratch112 seems very enthusiastic about the sound system. Oh, and the torque, of course!!

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another happy customer. What's the chance of you scanning the handbook so us "waiting in line" can get the feel of the car whilst reading about the experiences of you lucky fellows? If not all the handbook, at least the bit about the MMI and the B&O. Scratch112 seems very enthusiastic about the sound system. Oh, and the torque, of course!!
Take 5,

I know there would be a lot of you out there who would love access to an online owner's manual (I would have been devouring it myself long before now if it were available) however the owner's manual runs to 340 pages and the MMI gets its own booklet which is 189 pages, so don't think my patience would run to scanning the whole thing!

I'll ask my dealer if you can get it as a PDF file anywhere. There is an owner's manual CD, but it's designed to work with MMI, so you'd need your car to read it anyway...

·
Registered
45 Posts
I wonder why it is that Audi do not make the handbook available online? I have found through Google a quick fire users guide, but it is very limited in its scope. I understand about you not wanting to scan more than 500 pages though.

If you can get a pdf from your dealer I am sure a lot of us would be very grateful.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Scratch,

Congratulations! Good to have you on the driver list at last.

The torque is a treat. The grip fast out of bends is another reason to smile. I've had mine since August and have done 11k miles. I'll post a few likes/dislikes as somethings improve with miles... and others don't.

You can switch off the MMI when you're listening to music. I don't have the SatNav version, but try: Setup, Display, Switch off lights.

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
Congrats! Man, the A5s are just rolling into the UK this week! Red photos are few and far between - post 'em!

·
Registered
247 Posts
congrats! I'm going to need that vehicle reading device when you're done house.

You guys aren't making our wait any easier!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Got mine today, red 19'' Y's...........Love it....... and the Torque!!!
It wasn't in Portadown Audi? if it was mine was sitting in showroom awaiting delivery and I saw yours outside, is your reg your handle??

1 - 20 of 50 Posts