Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Commute into work Tuesday - getting a big knock sound from the motor.

Like this:

they've started pulling it apart after a couple of tows. Cylinder 1 looks like this: (WHAT IN THE WORLD?)

Eye Human body Flash photography Eyewear Eyelash

Welcome any thoughts or words of encouragement.

I'm 2 months into owning this car as 3rd owner _ CPMA motor with 38k on it - NOT HAPPY.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Huh, turns out this is a perfect match to the cylinder head - so something gave way with the piston rod - rod bearing etc...
Black Auto part Circle Symmetry Font

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so the diagnosis here is piston making contact with the head - causing the knocking noise - only had a knock sensor engine code

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Bad luck.

·
Premium Member
3,695 Posts
Shit!! At 38k miles that is VERY bad luck or terrible maintenance by previous owners or both???

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Shit!! At 38k miles that is VERY bad luck or terrible maintenance by previous owners or both???
DUNNO, the service records weren't perfect but very clean. I don't think I overlooked them due to my emotional desire to drive the convertible. This is my 3rd Audi so I know how important maintenance on them is. Thing is, the 2nd owner only put 5k miles on it and drove it back and forth to the golf course essentially. maybe that's not enough miles to keep things in working order.

dunno - didn't even get 2,000 miles out of it.

crazy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts