Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just had our first light dusting of snow here and I put on a set of Goodyear F1 A/S tires (tyres). I am using stock size (255/35-19") on the stock wheels. I am very satisfied!! No slipping or sliding from a standing start. I did notice the ABS cutting in on one stop where there was heavy ice but I also noticed that sensation in a Subaru. Granted, I don't have the snow that a Canadian or Northern European would have but I will be heading up to Lake Tahoe ski areas which should have plenty. I will report back later on how they work in heavier snow and how they are on clear roads at speed.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Just out of interest, do you have a Quattro or FWD? And what model?
I think you will find they are all Quattro there.

FYI I have used Goodyear F1's for years when it comes to replace original tyres, they are IMHO a good and reasonably priced tyre. Far cheaper than Michelin and far better than Dunlop... that's what we have found on A3's 4's Cab's and 6's ... not tried them on the 5 yet.. I have the original Dunlops which despite my prejudices (had a nasty Dunlop blow out in 1977) they seem pretty good so far.

Cheers
RG

·
Registered
198 Posts
I used them on my TT and found them to be the best all round tyre;)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry about the lack of info on my ride--2008 S5, Quatro, 6sp, Ibis white w/Tuscan Brown, loaded.
My tire store here told me that Dunlap and Goodyear are now the same company--the F1 A/S would be the closest ride to the stock Dunlap. He also said that he felt the Goodyear was every bit as good as the Michelin and it was $50-$80 less expensive per tire. He is a Michelin dealer (along with pretty much everything else) and in Reno, they have an excellent reputation for honesty. Good old family owned business been around for 60 years!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I also have the Goodyear F1 A/S on stock wheels. Here in Cleveland, we've had multiple days of snow and even some days of ice/rain mix over the past 2 weeks and my commute of 20 miles(highway and local roads) has been without any slipping, sliding. Like drjer1, I had one experience when the ABS kicked in briefly as I purposely broke hard on a long driveway covered with an inch of snow, as a test of the tires. On clear, dry roads the tires are great. They stick the car to the road on hard, fast turns. I hardly notice a difference compared to the stock summer tires. Overall I'm very happy with these A/S. The only complaint is that I do think they do create louder road noise than the stock tires.

·
Registered
67 Posts
F1s

I've had the F1 Eagle AS on for a year now on by S5 Phantom Black, 6spd. They have been through one winter (granted, it wasn't a bad one last year in the Northeast U.S.) but an otherwise very wet year. I have found them to be a perfect compromise, and part of that is I don't have the hassle of changing over to winter tires. Can't compare to a regular summer stock tire, but I'll have to say in the midst of several summer downpours in highway driving, I was glad I had the A/S...very stable on roads with enough water to hydroplane...never felt unsafe. They also held up under a couple of major pothole hits, one of which bent my two passenger side rims:mad:

·
Registered
67 Posts
F1 Eagle AS update

Tires got their first real test in a year this past weekend. Arrived home early on Friday afternoon with four inches on the ground, plows not keeping up with clearing road surfaces, and no choice but to get a houseguest to a train.

Drove carefully (duh!), and had a few hair-raising slides to stop at stop signs, but navigated both up and down hills (quite steep) and never had a real problem...lots of other people did.

I'm sure snows would have been better, but I never felt like I couldn't take the car out on the roads.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Sorry about the lack of info on my ride--2008 S5, Quatro, 6sp, Ibis white w/Tuscan Brown, loaded.
My tire store here told me that Dunlap and Goodyear are now the same company--the F1 A/S would be the closest ride to the stock Dunlap. He also said that he felt the Goodyear was every bit as good as the Michelin and it was $50-$80 less expensive per tire. He is a Michelin dealer (along with pretty much everything else) and in Reno, they have an excellent reputation for honesty. Good old family owned business been around for 60 years!!
I suspect they (Goodyear) are similar to the Michelins in quality from what I have read. But they are "Goodyears" and an Audi with Goodyears?? I just can't get over my bias I guess. It just seems like the S5 "deserves" something more.;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.