Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,
as many if you know Google Earth (the sat image map) stopped working on all VW Group cars late December 2020.
Audi did announced that late 2018 but got serious push-back form the customers (mostly US guys), and they were right.
Because of that VW Group created service actions like TPI 91 20 23 2060681/1 October 22, 2020 of Audi of America.
EU and other requisitions should have similar documents too but at the time of writing this post i dont have official information.
That covers most but not all of the affected vehicles.

In summary.
All A3 MY2017+ vehicles with Navigation system - High (7UG) are covered with software update
All R8 vehicles with Navigation system - High (7UG) are covered with software update
All TT vehicles with Navigation system - High (7UG) are covered with software update
Selected A4/A5/Q5/Q7 vehicles with Navigation system - High (7UG) are covered with software update, mainly MY2018+ Navigation HIGH with QualComm chip inside. (MHI2Q)

All older models with MMI 3G+ systems are not covered by any of the service actions and in my opinion they wont be.
All A6/A8 MY2015+ are not covered by any of the service actions and in my opinion they wont be.
A4/A5/Q5/Q7 vehicles with Navigation system - High (7UG) that are not covered by the TPI document (have system with nVidia chip inside) are also affected.
As they do share same hardware as A3 MY2017+ there is a chance that they might get coverage at later stage.

Official VW Group statement is that the hardware in those cars is not compatible with the new requirements for sat map images.
As some of you might think ... this is not the real truth.

Back in 2015 3 Top German car manufacturers bought Here maps. That was the beginning of the end for Google in VW Group.
Is it because of the fees of some other issues we will never know but the fact is that from that moment Here maps began to develop it's own sat map image engine.
Not long after it was ready for tests and in 2018 it appeared in the new A8 model. Later was followed by A6/A7 and MY2021 models.
Although the logo Google remained (slightly different) the service was provided by Here maps.

So whether we like it or not Google maps in it's pure form is going away from VW Group which is sad as they were the first to offer such functionality back in 2010.

The good news is that if your car is covered and you have active subscription for Audi Connect you can visit the local dealer and ask for update.
For cars up to 48 Months/50,000 Miles that is free of charge in US, not sure how it will be in EU.
If you feel confident in your self and want to try that update by yourself then i will share all software packs and will guide you thru the process, free of charge.
The actual software update process is not that different than the one of the older MMI systems.

The required software packs can be found here
They are all genuine software updates obtained thru dealer connection.

For those that dont have such luck and have older models there is also a solution, you can contact me for details.

As i found the TPI shared online in the Internet i will post it here as it's no longer a violation of any rules.

As usual any questions, please ask.

Attached is a draft version of the manual (never got the time to completed it on 100% but it does cover the basics)

Sources of the TPI:

Attachments

·
Registered
Audi A5 f5 3.0 TDI Quattro S line S tronic Virtual Cockpit Driving assist pack
708 Posts
I just wanted to quickly say @congo, I did the update myself, via some support elsewhere AFTER Audi dealership said they could not do it for my car.... oddly enough it was discussed on another forum stating that if your media software version has a QC in it the newer Qualcomm chipset, this update that you have kindly posted would work...

So after some work, and around 20 mins of playing on my phone as the MIB updated, the google earth overlay is back! Albeit it’s actually backed my Maxar?
The overlay is similar to google earth but slightly inferior because when you zoom up it’s slightly less sharp and also there’s a constant message on both VC and MMI screen stating copyright images etc etc from Maxar.

Deffo worth doing! 👌🏻👍🏻

~Alex

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi guys,
as many if you know Google Earth (the sat image map) stopped working on all VW Group cars late December 2020.
Audi did announced that late 2018 but got serious push-back form the customers (mostly US guys), and they were right.
Because of that VW Group created service actions like TPI 91 20 23 2060681/1 October 22, 2020 of Audi of America.
EU and other requisitions should have similar documents too but at the time of writing this post i dont have official information.
That covers most but not all of the affected vehicles.

In summary.
All A3 MY2017+ vehicles with Navigation system - High (7UG) are covered with software update
All R8 vehicles with Navigation system - High (7UG) are covered with software update
All TT vehicles with Navigation system - High (7UG) are covered with software update
Selected A4/A5/Q5/Q7 vehicles with Navigation system - High (7UG) are covered with software update, mainly MY2018+ Navigation HIGH with QualComm chip inside. (MHI2Q)

All older models with MMI 3G+ systems are not covered by any of the service actions and in my opinion they wont be.
All A6/A8 MY2015+ are not covered by any of the service actions and in my opinion they wont be.
A4/A5/Q5/Q7 vehicles with Navigation system - High (7UG) that are not covered by the TPI document (have system with nVidia chip inside) are also affected.
As they do share same hardware as A3 MY2017+ there is a chance that they might get coverage at later stage.

Official VW Group statement is that the hardware in those cars is not compatible with the new requirements for sat map images.
As some of you might think ... this is not the real truth.

Back in 2015 3 Top German car manufacturers bought Here maps. That was the beginning of the end for Google in VW Group.
Is it because of the fees of some other issues we will never know but the fact is that from that moment Here maps began to develop it's own sat map image engine.
Not long after it was ready for tests and in 2018 it appeared in the new A8 model. Later was followed by A6/A7 and MY2021 models.
Although the logo Google remained (slightly different) the service was provided by Here maps.

So whether we like it or not Google maps in it's pure form is going away from VW Group which is sad as they were the first to offer such functionality back in 2010.

The good news is that if your car is covered and you have active subscription for Audi Connect you can visit the local dealer and ask for update.
For cars up to 48 Months/50,000 Miles that is free of charge in US, not sure how it will be in EU.
If you feel confident in your self and want to try that update by yourself then i will share all software packs and will guide you thru the process, free of charge.
The actual software update process is not that different than the one of the older MMI systems.

The required software packs can be found here
They are all genuine software updates obtained thru dealer connection.

For those that dont have such luck and have older models there is also a solution, you can contact me for details.

As i found the TPI shared online in the Internet i will post it here as it's no longer a violation of any rules.

As usual any questions, please ask.

Sources of the TPI:
Is there a step by step instructions in getting this installed? I have a 2017 Q7 (bang/olufson audio) which is MIB2, manufacture in mid 2017 with Audi Connect [email protected] can you please help me with this?

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello,
as the procedure is specific for unit type and software i will provide support on best-efforts basis.
PM me the current software version and the VIN of the car and i will try to help you.
Do you have active audi connect subscription as this fix will only work if you do have it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello,
as the procedure is specific for unit type and software i will provide support on best-efforts basis.
PM me the current software version and the VIN of the car and i will try to help you.
Do you have active audi connect subscription as this fix will only work if you do have it.
Thank you for your help. I PMed the VIN and software versions. I have Audi connect and Prime active on my car.

Adding the software version here for 2017 Q7 if it helps others.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
A huge thanks to @congo . I am able to update 2017 q7 with b&o sound system to latest firmware which showed maxar maps for satellite.

If anyone needs help for Q7 update, I will share my screenshots of the update process.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, are there ways to enable new satellite maps without an active audi connect subscription(it has expired)?

·
Registered
Audi A5 f5 3.0 TDI Quattro S line S tronic Virtual Cockpit Driving assist pack
708 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
This was true for me, until 25 March.

On 25 March through no changes made by me (other than selecting Google Earth map type). It magically started working again. They are definitely not cached because the GEMMI cache was deleted in Jan when I update the maps.

I suggest others try it!
OliNix

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, are there ways to enable new satellite maps without an active audi connect subscription(it has expired)?
If you updated to latest software then its difficult i believe. You may need to downgrade and user @congo can help you with getting the google maps. I upgraded to new software without knowing this. So if you have old software and works good, no reason to upgrade.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
This was true for me, until 25 March.

On 25 March through no changes made by me (other than selecting Google Earth map type). It magically started working again. They are definitely not cached because the GEMMI cache was deleted in Jan when I update the maps.

I suggest others try it!
OliNix
There have been similar comments on Audi-Sport.net and Audizine. Mine still has cached data and my SIM has expires so I can't tell, although the messages about Google being unavailable don't come up anymore.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Audi A5 MY2017, qualcom chip. Two dealerships said it can not be done. Its done by congos manual, about 20 minutes.
Thank you congo!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts