Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2009 s5 and I want to go faster. All I have are some fat tires on the back and a muffler delete. Other than that it’s bone stock. I heard the tuners are a waste of time. Not looking to do much with it but dust people on the streets lol

·
Registered
523 Posts
Just bought a 2009 s5 and I want to go faster. All I have are some fat tires on the back and a muffler delete. Other than that it’s bone stock. I heard the tuners are a waste of time. Not looking to do much with it but dust people on the streets lol
What’s your budget for mods/tuning?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
132 Posts
You state that you 'want to go faster'.
Presumably you don't want a higher top speed, you just want to get there quicker - in which case you want to go quicker.
Reputable tunes will get you more power and torque - getting you wherever you want to go quicker.
Engines are basically an air pump - you need to get more air in, and you need to get more air out. So... different intakes an different exhausts are also options.
In my opinion, best bang for the buck is an ECU tune.
But as Andy Dutch asked... 'What's your budget?'.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Unfortunately the V8 won't go much faster unless you spend thousands on a supercharger.

Plus a lot of the V8s have carbon build up and can actually have a lot less power than they should have.

Unless you have a convertible or sportback, then the tuning market is a whole different game with the 3.0T V6!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As of now it’s just 4000

·
Registered
67 Posts
Get a carbon clean and air intake...exhaust can also give you a few more ponies, but thats probably all..

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
523 Posts
Cannot a simple ECU tune get anything out of the stock package?
10-15bhp just on a map.

Do what you can to squeeze more: Change to cold air induction filter: performance plugs and apparently the R8 coils are supposed to be better but I’m not sure.

·
Premium Member
2,336 Posts
I think that the main answer to your question, especially for a car which is not new like ours, is to pump in some good ol TLC to start to get back what your car may have lost over the years of her life. So my advice is to start with a FULL service so changing all of the filters and fluids, to start with, and then write everything down and run the car for at least a week and or X miles.
Then have the car fitted with a BMC or other air filter (the material rather than paper ones) to allow her to breath better. Again try her for a few days and note any changes you feel.
Then change all 8 spark plugs for new ones (again, always a top brand like NGK or similar) and see how she feels.
I would also suggest a carbon clean although the V8 engine is not noted for these problems, but probably worth it.

Etc. I think that new tyres, shocks, and stuff are all worth it when you are talking about an older car. Tuning on a normally aspirated engine is not gonna gain more than a few horses, I understand. Have fun and tell us what you do!!

·
Registered
523 Posts
..to add, they are prone to carbon build up. A walnut job could be in order!

·
Premium Member
2,336 Posts
Really Andy, and I thought not prone.....okok thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sorry to butt in.. I've been thinking of a carbon clean for sometime now but not sure.. for £60 I guess if i booked it in for a dyno before/after maybe that'll answer some questions..

Happy Sunday all.

·
Registered
29 Posts
& well done on the purchase mate.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Really Andy, and I thought not prone.....okok thanks
The V8 NA’s are renowned for it mate - it’s a bit pricey at around £600 for the proper walnut one.

There will be plenty of posts on it on the site

·
Registered
523 Posts
Not sure where you are - UK?

There’s a few that do it MRC. PMP cars charge between £200~£600 for Audi’s

·
Registered
523 Posts
I'm in good ol' Stevenage mate.

I'm completely new to all this lark so £600 my backside went abit funny is all...
MRC are in Banbury - give them a call (not sure if they’re open though) or message them on FB. See what the score is.

What’s the mileage on your S5?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts