Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For once, I showed some patience and it actually paid off. The finished tips are nothing short of beautiful with 3.5" openings, double walled sides, and a lustrous finish.

GMG added a nice touch and made the tip placement adjustable via a slider that is placed ahead of the tips. You can dial them in just how you want them. I placed mine in the same position as the Milltek,which is tucked tightly against the rear valence.

Having said that; what makes this exhaust special is the sound. I'm not sure how GMG does it, but this thing wails like a wounded mountain lion under full throttle. The muffled baritone of the Milltek has been replaced by a blood curtling scream courtesy of GMG.

I had my man Suprablur hit a corner at WOT, and the sound is absolutely intoxicating. If you think the ovals sound good, wait until you hear the duals.

Video will be posted tomorrow rain or shine.......:thumbsup:

The Previous Milltek

The GMG Quad

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
The sound is absolutely awesome -- and it totally verifies what everyone with an upgraded exhaust says -- the videos really don't tell the whole story.

The GMG exhaust is not really a whole lot louder than the Milltek, if at all, but instead of boomy (which isn't captured very well on the tiny cameras that most of us use), it is very throaty. Regardless, it's totally livable as a daily driver, and I can't imagine any dates would complain.

One more pic -- great stance overall!

·
Registered
371 Posts
The new tips look too big for the rear valance. It might just be the images but it looks like you have 4 truck exhaust pipes coming out the rear of your car although the pic supra posted looks good.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yep, the 3.5 inchers definitely stand out, but that's exactly what I wanted. Once the inside gets blackened with some exhaust soot, it will be a bit less visible but still be noticeable unlike a single walled system...

Nice shot Suprablur.... I need to get me one of those gorilla grip thingamabobs.....:)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Congratulations sizzle on finally getting your exhaust. I know you waited a long long time. I was even on that list for a few months and decided to move on. Looking forward to hearing the clip, I know it will be insane. Bump for the silver p40s in the background :cheers:. When you going to change that tx plate though :)?

·
Registered
384 Posts
I called it!!! hahaha

Mine are coming next week.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
The Previous Milltek
On a side note, when we mounted the Milltek on my car, I corrected the muffler spacing so that it sits more centered in the cutout (before they were a little too far 'in'):

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The Video

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Congrats on finally getting a system you're happy with.

Admittedly, my biggest pet peeve with this setup is how the inner tips are so visible (i.e., the ends of the inner tips are so close to the ends of the outer tips). I noticed this in that close-up shot of the tips, and then again at the beginning of your video. On my setup, I literally cannot see the inner tips unless I bend down low to actually look inside. I just don't like it when the inner tips on an exhaust can be seen from a distance. I know I'm probably more picky than most regarding such details, but that's just me.

To be quite honest, I'm actually a bit baffled that you went with this setup. I always thought you were really wanting tips with a machined/brushed finish (at least that's what I remember from that thread where you posted the GMG prototype exhaust photos you took at the LA Auto Show). Also, you had mentioned in my B&B exhaust thread that you prefer mufflers which aren't visible from the rear. So, since the exhaust you ended up with doesn't meet those criteria, that's why I was left scratching my head when you posted this. :confused:

Regardless of all that, I'm glad you finally found something that you're happy with... at least for the next couple of months until you change your mind and switch to something else. :p Sorry, just had to bust your chops a little bit.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would have been that much happier if the tips were machined/brushed, but GMG decided to gloss them up. If a brushed system comes out, I will definitely be looking into it.....:cheers:

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Just wait until someone comes out with OE/AMG-style slightly oval bigass double-wall tips (effective 3.25-3.5" dia.) that are angle cut in two directions like OE / Milltek with individually adjustable stagger......

... and sounded like AWE or GMG.

... made of titanium

... with butterfly valve system that's RPM-dependent (doesn't require a remote control)

... and costs under $2500

.... hmmm.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Just wait until someone comes out with OE/AMG-style slightly oval bigass double-wall tips (effective 3.25-3.5" dia.) that are angle cut in two directions like OE / Milltek with individually adjustable stagger......

... and sounded like AWE or GMG.

... made of titanium

... with butterfly valve system that's RPM-dependent (doesn't require a remote control)

... and costs under $2500

.... hmmm.
Yes, but by then we will probably all be riding unicorns to work.

·
Registered
384 Posts
No fun in that. Are you saying you want an exhaust that looks aggressive but sounds like a mouse?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Hey stupid question but are you able to get the GMG quad tips separately without buying the muffler and such?
Take a look at the attached photo of sizzle's car (which I found posted on GMG's site) and you'll see how the tips are mounted to the muffler. Even if you wanted to purchase just their tips, you'd still have to get a new mufflers that have a single exhaust outlet located in the center. So, it wouldn't be worth the trouble, IMO.

It looks to me like all GMG did was just take their existing oval tip system and tack on these new quad tips. I would have expected for the amount of money they charge, they would have at least fabricated it to have dual exhaust outlets on each muffler. Looks to me like they just took the easy way out to avoid having to fabricate new mufflers for these new tips. Sorry, I'm not a fan. :thumbsdown:

Attachments

·
Registered
371 Posts
Take a look at the attached photo of sizzle's car (which I found posted on GMG's site) and you'll see how the tips are mounted to the muffler. Even if you wanted to purchase just their tips, you'd still have to get a new mufflers that have a single exhaust outlet located in the center. So, it wouldn't be worth the trouble, IMO.

It looks to me like all GMG did was just take their existing oval tip system and tack on these new quad tips. I would have expected for the amount of money they charge, they would have at least fabricated it to have dual exhaust outlets on each muffler. Looks to me like they just took the easy way out to avoid having to fabricate new mufflers for these new tips. Sorry, I'm not a fan. :thumbsdown:
The GMG is faking Quad exhaust? Are many quad systems like this? This reminds me of the Lexus IS-F with the double stack quad exhaust that only looks real but isn't part of the exhaust.

Pic of Lexus IS-F exhaust below:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.